Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just been browsing the net and found a firm in Holland selling a rear mount bike rack, obviously Vauxhall specify that the Ampera is not designed to have a roof rack or tow bar fitted, but there are now several roof racks out there, I have a Thule, and there has been talk of the pro's and con's on several sites about mounting a tow bar.

This one promotes the Bosal multi cycle type, I am not sure how it mounts, you appear to get the manual after you buy it, hence I can not say if there are any cuts to the bumper or the like. However if you are a cyclist wanting a way to transport your bikes then this could be the answer, there seems to be option to buy these in most European countries including Eire but not the UK???

http://www.trekhaken.nl/index.php

http://www.catalogue.bosal.com/pages/to ... del=Ampera

Gary

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

I looked up the Dutch www.trekhaken.nl: Euro 800+ for a bike carrier seems steep.

Is there anyone who has experience with a Saris bike rack?:

Their website give the following suggestions:
* Gran Fondo for Chevrolet Volt
* Bike Porter 2 and 3 for Opel Ampera; as well as Vauxhall Ampera.

Does anyone has the experience, or even a photograph?

Thanks

Rob

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Interesting, I didnt find the Saris ones when I last looked. It does suggest that those ones should fit an Ampera doesnt it - and only around £85. Almost worth a punt to see if it's practical - could always sell it if it doesnt suit. I may well do that. Also, its worth heading to gm-volt.com as Saris are a US company to see if anyone is using one on their Volt.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Did anyone get one ?
I've been meaning to go into Evans Cycles (taking Tesco vouchers currently) and try the Saris Bones 3 even though their listings don't suggest its suitable. They don't seem to stock the Saris Bike Porter that is shown as suitable. I'm breaking my back lifting 2 kids bikes in and out of the back !!

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I didn't, no. Other priorities I'm afraid :) I decided to cycle a bit further to the places I used to take my bike to, as it was good exercise!

·
Registered
221 Posts
I have tried a saris bones solo, puts too much pressure on the rear spoiler. Other option I am looking at is seasucker talon. But at over £200 I have taken to just striping the wheels off, but it's a pain.

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I tried the Saris Gran Fondo, but that also sits on the rear spoiler, and lifted off the glass everytime we pulled away.
Certainly wouldnt want to go down the motorway with it on ! :(

The search continues.....

·
Registered
340 Posts
I've just bought a couple of bikes so dusted down my old bike rack. Its one of those "universal" high mount rear ones secured with 3 pairs of straps in 3 directions. The first pair hook over the top of the hatch no problem, the second down the sides using an alternative dumbell style anchor (because the glass goes right to edge) no problem but I couldn't really find anywhere suitable to anchor the bottom straps under the bumper because its all plastic down there? Any ideas anyone?

(PS before you all shout about the angle of the bars that actually carry the bike I had temporarily angled them down a bit to clear the garage door!)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's a problem with this car isn't it. I've looked at bike carriers a couple of times, without coming to a conclusion. In the States, Thule do carriers like yours for the Volt but I have a feeling they strap to the bottom edge of the hatch, not the back of the car.

·
Registered
589 Posts
I know that the Ampera was never intended to actually tow anything and I wouldn't want to but is it still possible to fit a tow ball and electrics, purely for use with a cycle rack, such as a Thule?

·
Registered
557 Posts
Don't know about the tow ball but I got a Saris bones three bike carrier and it seems fine with the Ampera and Leaf so far. I've had two kids bikes plus my mountain bike on and it was fine.

·
Registered
589 Posts
That looks quite interesting. A lifetime warranty, eight colours and, apparently, a million sold. The only issue is it will block the number plate, so you need to buy a spare plate and find somewhere to hang it. The web site fit guide also mentions several tow ball racks, which are suitable for the Ampera, so it does seem to be possible to fit one.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
@daved How are you getting on with the Saris Bones bike carrier on your Ampera?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
@George Jetson How about your Saris Bike Porter - has it been successful on your Ampera?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts