Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 40 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona 64KWh Premium SE, Kia E Niro first edition, Vauxhall e-Corsa se nav (on order)
81 Posts
Mine were also badly affected by this (it was so bad that they were ever so gradually starting to fill up with water) and were replaced under warranty last week. Hopefully they have been redesigned otherwise it looks likely given Damienedwards post above that it will reoccur. My car also seems to have a couple of the other problems reported here; sticking charge port door (they all do that in wet weather sir there's no cure for it); very occasional steering lock warning though that always goes away and occasional failure of the DAB radio to tune in, causing it to throw a wobbly and reset itself. Occasionally ipod link disconnects and it looks as if the ipod has run out of charge. Unplugging and plugging back in seems to reestablish the link.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
223 Posts
Had my rear reflectors replaced under warranty by Thurlow Nunn, Milton Keynes around 10 days ago now.
The Dealer kept referring to the problem as condensation - but why would I only get condensation in the near side reflector? Touch wood, the problem is solved: has withstood some heavy rain showers with no sign of water ingress.

I also had the dealer check the 'clunk' from the parking brake. They said it was a common fault and there's no 'fix'. Funny thing is that sometimes it clunks, and sometimes it doesn't....

·
Now enjoying my new Kia SOUL EV
2020 Hyundai Ioniq Electric (38.3 kWh) Premium SE in Iron Grey with Shale Grey Interior option
1,324 Posts
I've now noticed this "condensation" in my drivers side rear reflector. Think I'll call the dealer in Glasgow and see what their reaction is.

Derek

·
Registered
557 Posts
I noticed the demo car at Pentagon had an inch of water in the bottom of both reflectors.:(
I wonder if this could be argued as a safety issue as it must surely be reducing the effectiveness of the reflector;)

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
Mine has had 'condensation' in both sides for a while now. It comes and goes on a daily basis with the weather, so am currently ignoring it in the hope it will go away :D

·
Super Moderator
6,343 Posts
Is it just Ampera's? My Volt has no problem and I have not seen another report this

·
Registered
98 Posts
Mines had the condensation since I had it...5000 miles in I decided to get them replaced, dealer came and collected it today and replaced, let's see how long they last

·
Registered
1 Posts
anybody else get this? does the dealer have a fix for it?
I also have the same problem with condensation inside my 2 1/2 year old 2012 Chevrolet Volt Side reflectors that are located at the rear of the car that are forward of the hatchback compartment. I took my car in to the Chevrolet Dealership and the service department tried to convince me that this was normal; and that the condensation will disappear over time. They further explained that the reflector is vented to the outside because if the reflector was sealed, there would be tremendous heat build up and it would ultimately cause damage to the reflector. Let me explain the problem that this creates: 1. This lens can not be opened or cleaned. 2. All condensation once it evaporates or dries will leave some micro degree of film residue. Repeating this condensation process on the inside of the lens many times will eventually accumulate and leave a film on the inside of the lens and take away from the overall appearance of the car creating a dirtier less cared for look that detracts from the overall aesthetics of the car. If the side reflectors are also less visible, then I believe the reflectors are less easily seen from the side--not much but some. Case and Point: In some states, if there is condensation on the inside of your headlights, then your car will not pass inspection; because a driver can not see as far with dirty headlights as with clean headlights. I'm not saying that the dirty reflectors will affect a state inspection, but the film does interfere, to a small degree with the high reflection surface. Quite frankly, it begs another question, if there's a problem with something as simple as a reflective lens, what about the other cars systems? If you go look at cars that are under three years old, I'm pretty certain your average consumer would not find a lot of external reflective cosmetic issues. This lens was an engineering trade off: Either dissipate the heat by venting the big black and red lens to outside air and humidity(which causes the condensation), or have Chevrolet experience thousands of cracked/damaged lenses. Did the engineers even attempt to look at any other way to solve the conundrum created by a large red and black permanently sealed lens; probably not...it looked good on the showroom floor. My issue is that I now have a Volt with a ten year warranty from Chevrolet who's position it is to exclaim that this is normal and will not replace the lens or if they do, will not solve the issue of this situation occurring again and again, and again. Its not normal to have water on the inside of a reflective lens. It may be typical of this Chevrolet product. It may be an idiosyncrasy of the Chevrolet Volt. But I do not expect to have condensation in their reflectors of a car I paid $48K for.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Well Just had my 3rd Service/MOT and mentioned that my reflectors and lights had condensation and they are to be replaced under warranty as are the to front door handles who's buttons no longer work reliably if at all. (I did have pictures to support the claim as well)

Can anyone give me an Idea of how long it took to replace the reflectors/lights, door handles. I am getting the impression they want the car for two days - that seems a bit over the top to me.

Do you have the labour time on your paperwork?

Thanks

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,603 Posts
I guess I'll have to get mine changed too, then, though I think the condensation is going away a little as the weather warms. (Could be mistaken.) Thing is, are they replacing with equally-likely to moist-up or is it replaced with a new design.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I had my rear light clusters including reflectors replaced some time ago and if memory serves me correctly it was done at the same time as the first service for which they had the car for a day. Sorry, I can't comment on the hourly rate or how long it would take to change the locks.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,449 Posts
I had the front driver's door lock done first, had to go back in later to be done as they had been sent the correct parts but the instructions for the nearside. Glad they kept the instructions as a short time later they had to do the nearside, both times the car was in for the day as it was a collect and return job.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Sorry, I should have said they replaced them with the same design so I do still get a little condensation from time to time but they are certainly a lot better than the originals (but no idea why).

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,449 Posts
It was the units on the tailgate that I had moisture in, I was originally told that the handbook states that moisture may collect in the lights but will evaporate when the lights are in use. I pointed out that these parts do not light up and therefore will not clear, had the problematic one replaced then.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,449 Posts
Fingers crossed no sign of it yet. It was a bit more than the usual condensation that I have seen in the headlights. In the headlights it is just a fine condensation and it clears quickly. In these back units, well the nearside one in my my case, it was actual big drops that you could tap the unit and they would roll down into a pool on the bottom edge.

21 - 40 of 88 Posts