Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

41 - 60 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
3,308 Posts
I hadn't bothered getting mine replaced as I read that the new ones still got condensation in them.
Weird how it's the ones on the tailgate that mist up !

·
Registered
380 Posts
Well I dropped the car off at 08:10 and got it back at 13:30 - that was a lot of sitting around. That was all the rear light units replaced and both front door buttons replaced.

Incidentally it seems that they have to remove the glass in the door to fix the door handles. Just a bit of trivia for you.

Not had the conditions to see if they mist up now only time will tell.

One point to look at though is that where the cable goes to each rear light there is a silly item of some sort of foamy material which is supposed to fit in the hole but it is so flimsy and there is no real "grip" for it to stay there - is yours in place or has it fallen to the bottom of the sill? There is also a similar piece just below that as well. both are difficult to get at or see but I have managed to get them all in place now. It the same on both sides.You do have to be a bit of a contortionist to see it and getting your hand in there to pop it back into place is not that easy either.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Where condensation is appearing in the reflectors it seems they should be totally sealed with silica gel disiccant beads as in domestic double glazed windows, problem solved!
Drain holes will encourage dust to enter and the excuse of heat build up could be solved by using Led's.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
they should be totally sealed with silica gel disiccant beads
That won't work for long. Once the silica is saturated the condensation will come back.

I am visiting my dealer today to see if they can fix it. I'll report back...

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
My car is out of warranty (by 5 months) and it isn't covered by the Network-Q warranty either.

The dealer has requested a goodwill gensture from vauxhall. We will see but I won't hold my breath but you never know.

Other than that it is £300 including fitting. Actually, I don't think that is too bad given that it is replacement of the entire rear light cluster on both sides.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,061 Posts
My car is out of warranty (by 5 months) and it isn't covered by the Network-Q warranty either.
The dealer has requested a goodwill gensture from vauxhall. We will see but I won't hold my breath but you never know.

Other than that it is £300 including fitting. Actually, I don't think that is too bad given that it is replacement of the entire rear light cluster on both sides.
And the replacements will have a 12 month guarantee!

·
Registered
927 Posts
Ampera rear reflector fix? Anyone know?

unsure whether there has been any design change , reading some of the threads on this issue those who have had replacements report a reoccurrence of the same fault .

I suspect Vxl - Opel have a supply of gen 1 spares - hopefully they also have plenty of Alloys too.
I've only had mine through a damp spring - summer , not sure about a Mancunian winter

·
Registered
45 Posts
Had same problem and drilled small holes 2 of 10mm apart one at bottom one 10mm above of black plastic surround got at by opening the boot water drained out 2nd hole gave ventilation to and all mist / water gone. By the way tiny holes are hidden when you close the boot lid good luck

·
Registered
8 Posts
That won't work for long. Once the silica is saturated the condensation will come back.

I am visiting my dealer today to see if they can fix it. I'll report back...
I disagree since if the unit is sealed as mentioned the dissicant removes the initial moisture preventing any further occurance just as it does in double glazing units.
This is a widely proven fact in scores of domestic installations and the only time it fails is if seals are compromised letting in air containing moisture which then overpowers the dissicant to absorb.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I disagree since if the unit is sealed as mentioned the dissicant removes the initial moisture preventing any further occurance just as it does in double glazing units.
These light clusters are not sealed like window units. They will simply get more water into them and the condensation will build up again once the silica is saturated.

Silica will not work.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do realise this and my suggestion has always stated that if they were sealed with silica crystals there would be no problem, this would be a permanent fix.
If an owner chooses to seal them without crystals condensation will still appear as the air trapped inside will contain moisture and condensate will appear with temp changes.
Drilling holes let's in dust and is a poor fix.

·
Registered
73 Posts
On checking back this thread I see mine were replaced almost 2 years ago and there have been no problems with them since. My car was registered in June 2014 (God and GM alone know when it was built) and as of tomorrow will have covered 20000 miles. It's been fantastic and easily the car I have most enjoyed owning. The supplying dealer (Arnold Clark Vauxhall Glasgow) still seem interested and enthusiastic about the car and picked it up for a second service in June with no problem and replaced the tailgate struts without even advising me and also fixed 2 door lock buttons there and then with no second visit required.
The Ampera over 2 years has been reliable and great to drive. It has saved me a fortune on fuel (I am closing in on 1000 mpg) and is one of the best kept secrets in motoring in the UK. Vauxhall' s lack of support for this car and failure to bring in and properly price the new model is a crying shame. It has probably saved me another fortune, though as rather than drooling over a new one, I intend to run this one until the wheels fall off.

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Similar story here - had it since April 2014, rear reflectors replaced a couple of months afterwards and all clear since then. Averaged 125mpg over 24000 miles, a tad better than the 23mpg I had with the XKR before :rolleyes:

41 - 60 of 88 Posts