Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'm looking at buying one which has this issue - has anyone else had the price of £300 quoted or can Paul Churchley confirm thats what it ended up costing him. I'll want to knock this off the price unless they offer to sort beforehand.

So £300 is one unit and labour to fit. If both then £600 ?? (yikes!)

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm looking at buying one which has this issue - has anyone else had the price of £300 quoted or can Paul Churchley confirm thats what it ended up costing him. I'll want to knock this off the price unless they offer to sort beforehand.

Hi I completly removed the proble by just drilling the 2 hole top one to air ventilate and bottom one to evacute water it worked for me both sides best of luck

·
Registered
427 Posts

Sounds like a good negotiation tactic, but any replacement will do the same thing so prepare to drill holes or just live with it!

·
Matt
107 Posts
Mine had the slightest bit of condensation at three years old, now Vauxhall staples corner jumped at the chance to change them under warranty, I suppose they are only covered by the initial three year warranty and not the 8 year 100k one?

·
Registered
597 Posts
My reflectors seem to be almost permanently misted up now. It doesn't look like a dealer will fix it from what I have read, so can anyone who has done the 'drill 2 holes' fix give us an update as to if it has resolved the misting permanently. Also could I have a specific location as to where to drill and if this can be done without removing the lens. Thanks.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I do realise this and my suggestion has always stated that if they were sealed with silica crystals there would be no problem, this would be a permanent fix.
If an owner chooses to seal them without crystals condensation will still appear as the air trapped inside will contain moisture and condensate will appear with temp changes.
Drilling holes let's in dust and is a poor fix.
Might be a poor fix but it works and any chance of dust in UK is dreamland

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Here are my pics, can't find the text description so am trying to remember just what I did!

1) undo panel in tailgate, 2 screws hidden inside grab-handle recess:
upload_2017-4-9_10-20-29.jpeg

2) Levering-out various clippy sections. one or 2 bolts inside the hole on LHS of pic.
upload_2017-4-9_10-23-46.jpeg

3) Interior panels removed.
upload_2017-4-9_10-21-29.jpeg

4) Getting the shiny trim piece out of the way was a bit of a hassle - I used some thin polycarbonate to help.
upload_2017-4-9_10-25-53.jpeg

5) Seven holes 1.5mm drilled.
upload_2017-4-9_10-27-0.jpeg

Results are not 100%. I still see condensation in cold damp weather, but at least it seems to help them dry out better in summer & when the sun's on the lights! Now it's warm there's no condensation in them anyway.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here are my pics, can't find the text description so am trying to remember just what I did!

1) undo panel in tailgate, 2 screws hidden inside grab-handle recess:
View attachment 30017

2) Levering-out various clippy sections. one or 2 bolts inside the hole on LHS of pic.
View attachment 30033

3) Interior panels removed.
View attachment 30025

4) Getting the shiny trim piece out of the way was a bit of a hassle - I used some thin polycarbonate to help.
View attachment 30041

5) Seven holes 1.5mm drilled.
View attachment 30049

Results are not 100%. I still see condensation in cold damp weather, but at least it seems to help the, dry out better in summer & when the sun's on the lights! Now it's warm there's no condensation in them anyway.
Drilled mine 2 of from the side and have same results as ie misting now and again but very little compared to original

·
Registered
218 Posts
Drilled mine 2 of from the side and have same results as ie misting now and again but very little compared to original
I know this is resurrecting an old topic but I figured that since I have this problem on my Amp., others may benefit from my experience. Andy's pictures above are excellent and will help me to replace my reflectors when I have time.

When I purchased the car, I pointed out the excessive condensation in the tailgate reflectors and was promised that it would be fixed. It was - but, I believe the standard dealer fix is to blast the edge of the reflector with a compressed air line and although this produces immediately apparent results, in the longer term it only makes things worse because the high pressure air opens up the gaps that have been allowing the ingress of moisture. The reflector units are still available from parts suppliers www.autovaux.co.uk - part numbers: GP23170361 and GP23170362 and I have ordered a pair. My understanding is that these are an improved design that are less likely to fog up and the nett cost was approximately £33 per unit.

In the meantime, for a quick fix, I followed what I think may have been Jim Mc Whinnie's suggestion: With the tailgate held partially open, I drilled two 3mm holes into the side of each reflector - one near the top of the red section and one near the top of the clear section. This produced immediate results, the condensation cleared after a few miles of driving. Unfortunately my drilling left some unsightly flecks of plastic swarf inside the reflectors and after years of having water slopping about in the bottom of each reflector, the silvering has degraded and spoiled the appearance. That justifies the purchase of new reflectors. If the new ones do fog-up, I know where to drill the holes without having to remove them . . .

·
Registered
324 Posts
Had mine replaced under 3 yr warranty for the same reason and the new ones do not suffer the same problem - so if you do buy new make sure they are whatever the newer part number is!!

·
Registered
399 Posts
Mine mist up variably in the winter, so I've taken to leaving silica gel bags in the side boot compartments, that seems to keep it under control. In the winter about once a week or as required I take them out and leave them on a hot radiator for a day or you can remove the water from the bags by microwaving. Easy and works.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
On mine it was the rear 'embellishments' on the tailgate that the moisture got into. These aren't lit up so no access to the back of the part. The outer lights are LED so I'm not sure there is any access to inside the units.

·
Registered
218 Posts
On mine it was the rear 'embellishments' on the tailgate that the moisture got into. These aren't lit up so no access to the back of the part. The outer lights are LED so I'm not sure there is any access to inside the units.
These are the ones - the pic below shows where I drilled my 3mm holes and, so far, so good! The drill needs to go deep enough to get into the void - approx. 15mm - this will allow the trapped vapour to escape. To prevent unnecessary ingress of moisture, such as when I wash the car, I can cover the holes over with a piece of vinyl insulating tape.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
These are the ones - the pic below shows where I drilled my 3mm holes and, so far, so good! The drill needs to go deep enough to get into the void - approx. 15mm - this will allow the trapped vapour to escape. To prevent unnecessary ingress of moisture, such as when I wash the car, I can cover the holes over with a piece of vinyl insulating tape.

View attachment 122532
It was only my offside that was affected, replaced by the dealership and never had any issues since. I had to pay for the unit because it was not an illuminated 'light unit' or reflector.

61 - 80 of 88 Posts
About this Discussion
87 Replies
36 Participants
h8ten
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing