Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 88 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Only my nearside rear lens is affected. Why is there no consistency in this problem?
I think the new ones are rather more watertight than those originally fitted . . .

·
Registered
218 Posts
My elation in finding reasonably priced replacement reflectors has suffered a setback!
The first one arrived today but it was broken! Thank you Hermes!

·
Registered
218 Posts
These are the ones - the pic below shows where I drilled my 3mm holes and, so far, so good! The drill needs to go deep enough to get into the void - approx. 15mm - this will allow the trapped vapour to escape. To prevent unnecessary ingress of moisture, such as when I wash the car, I can cover the holes over with a piece of vinyl insulating tape.

View attachment 122532
My "two hole cure" has survived its first car wash. No evidence fogging since the holes were drilled and prior to that I had about 10mm of water sloshing about in the left hand side reflector. The holes allow the water to evaporate. Unfortunately, I have not yet discovered a way of removing the plastic swarf that scattered itself all around inside the reflector housing. Before I fit the new ones, I need to devise a way of swarfless drilling.

·
Registered
144 Posts
My "two hole cure" has survived its first car wash. No evidence fogging since the holes were drilled and prior to that I had about 10mm of water sloshing about in the left hand side reflector. The holes allow the water to evaporate. Unfortunately, I have not yet discovered a way of removing the plastic swarf that scattered itself all around inside the reflector housing. Before I fit the new ones, I need to devise a way of swarfless drilling.
Melt it with a soldering iron?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
2,689 Posts
Fill it on purpose with water and then sook it out with a wet and dry vac? Hopefully, the water and a wee bit of turbulence will mix the swarf and come out, it might need several attempts.

81 - 88 of 88 Posts
About this Discussion
87 Replies
36 Participants
h8ten
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing