Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

rear reflectors have moisture in them permanently

17K views 87 replies 36 participants last post by  h8ten 
#1 ·
anybody else get this? does the dealer have a fix for it?

#5 ·
I am at the "just read the book cover to cover" stage and I don't remember reading that - I would have remembered cause I noticed the problem as soon I collected the car. It not a biggy but you can't tell me its a design feature but I can imagine the dealer saying "they all do that sir!"

#7 ·
Page 90 in my MY12 pdf:-

Misted light covers
The inside of the light housing may mist up briefly in poor, wet and cold weather conditions, in heavy rain or after washing. The mist disappears quickly by itself; to help switch on the low beam.

This is what I was thinking of, seems more to do with headlights but I have seen the moisture/condensation within the non-lit parts of my tail-lights.

#6 ·
To be honest, this isn't only an Ampera 'feature', my previous cars also had some moisture in the rear lights during autumn and winter, including my Jag!

#15 ·
Add me to the list. This means I've had the yellow engine light, the handbrake clonking and the misty lights - definitely feel like part of the family.

(Going back in to have the handbrake sorted in a couple of weeks.)

#18 ·
I am just waiting on replacement(s) coming in. It is the nearside that has quite a bit of water in it but when the car was in they did not see any condensation in the offside until just after it had been washed then it was noticed, it does tend to clear from the offside but I am hoping that they will replace it now that it has been seen. It does state in the handbook that moisture can be accepted in the lights as it will clear with use of the lights but these parts are not lights so there are no bulbs to give off any heat to help it clear.

#20 ·
Definate design fault........its the hot air in the vehicle cabin condensing on the cold lens as the units are not sealed and should be........also water can get in when jet washing. My solution after two sets of replacements and the design fault not being acknowledged by GM!! was to remove the units and drill a small 2mm vent hole between the lens outer and inner to tje outside environment.....if any water gets in the top or through the back it just drains out.........also lets more cool air in behind the lens to minimise any temp differences to cabin and minimise any condensate........could also seal up the unit i guess..........just found the vent hole option easier/quicker.

#21 ·
Mine were also badly affected by this (it was so bad that they were ever so gradually starting to fill up with water) and were replaced under warranty last week. Hopefully they have been redesigned otherwise it looks likely given Damienedwards post above that it will reoccur. My car also seems to have a couple of the other problems reported here; sticking charge port door (they all do that in wet weather sir there's no cure for it); very occasional steering lock warning though that always goes away and occasional failure of the DAB radio to tune in, causing it to throw a wobbly and reset itself. Occasionally ipod link disconnects and it looks as if the ipod has run out of charge. Unplugging and plugging back in seems to reestablish the link.

#22 ·
Had my rear reflectors replaced under warranty by Thurlow Nunn, Milton Keynes around 10 days ago now.
The Dealer kept referring to the problem as condensation - but why would I only get condensation in the near side reflector? Touch wood, the problem is solved: has withstood some heavy rain showers with no sign of water ingress.

I also had the dealer check the 'clunk' from the parking brake. They said it was a common fault and there's no 'fix'. Funny thing is that sometimes it clunks, and sometimes it doesn't....

#23 ·
I've now noticed this "condensation" in my drivers side rear reflector. Think I'll call the dealer in Glasgow and see what their reaction is.

Derek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.