Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about 6ft tall, sat in the back of the model S immediately noticed lack of headroom and no under thigh support. In short, i think it'll be pretty uncomfortable for most adults on long journey.

The back seat bench is very short and flat, i suggest the seat squab should extend further out(extra 6inches?) and has raised bolster at the outer part of the seat to support the thigh, at the same time, the seat itself where your bum actually sit on should sink lower may be 2-3inches, that way it improves under thigh support and afford extra couple of inches of headroom as you sit lower.

·
Registered
257 Posts
If you're in the back of a Model S you're in the wrong place ;)

I've only been in the back of mine once, rarely out of the driver's seat, and I'm 6' too (just about) and it seemed fine although I do slouch a lot. Certainly no worse than sitting in the back of my other option, Audi A5, and I could hardly get out of it once in it!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
Tesla are telling buyers to get the sunroof to mitigate this - two entirely separate sales conversations on this in the last week

·
Registered
2,636 Posts
Yes, they do. If you buy the sunroof :)

In seriousness, they are kinda stuck in the back. They went for a coupe design, which limits rear headroom, and had to raise the internal floor for the battery. They also decided to stick the charger hardware and other gubbins under the rear seats, limiting the depth of seat cushioning.

For sure they could have done better, but it's totally serviceable for kids or occasional use.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I know what you're saying, but it's billed as a five, possible seven seater. It's too big (in my opinion) for compromised rear seating.
Yep, but it's no worse than the old Merc CLS.

It's form over function, for sure, but they were aiming A7 not A6.

I've sat in the back of mine a couple of times, and TBH it wasn't that bad (I'm a lanky 6'3, but long in the legs, not the torso) Leg room is plentiful, and I'm not bashing my head.

·
Super Moderator
7,550 Posts
Yeah it feels more like small a small hatchback in the back than a large saloon, but definitely usable. I saw some mocked up pictures of a different version for the Chinese market, with more luxurious rear seats, not sure if that's actually happening.

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts