Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first post so Hi everybody!

I've seen this question asked a number of times in other Forums but without much in the way of a conclusive answer.

I'm a courier, I need a small van - preferably electric. I also need three seats as I need to also take my two children (Primary age) to school...(edit... or at least I will do when this current lockdown ends).

The only vans in my category/budget with three seats is the Partner/Berlingo, however these only have a small battery, reversing camera/sensors not standard and they have a smaller carrying capacity than my wife's Galaxy that I've been borrowing for a month and she needs it back!

I know that the NV-200 is narrower than most vans - so the installation of an extra front seat is not an option, but I would like to know if it is possible - or safe - to get a single or double rear seat installed in the cargo area of the van. I haven't been able to find out if there are any mount points in the van for extra seats as I can't imagine there being a differently made shell from the combi/people carrier version. Can anyone tell me if these are present, even under the floor?

I understand that the battery is under the floor just behind the bulkhead and this may be an issue for installation of an aftermarket front row.

I'm going to ring Nissan later (if anyone's working) to see if anyone at a sales centre can answer my question, but they probably either won't know or try to flog me a 10k more expensive Combi... which I don't need.

As Lockdown III has started, I need a van more than ever as volumes are going to be up. I would be grateful if someone could at least point me in the direction of an answer.

Many thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,476 Posts

I've seen this question asked a number of times in other Forums but without much in the way of a conclusive answer.

I'm a courier, I need a small van - preferably electric. I also need three seats as I need to also take my two children (Primary age) to school...(edit... or at least I will do when this current lockdown ends).

The only vans in my category/budget with three seats is the Partner/Berlingo, however these only have a small battery, reversing camera/sensors not standard and they have a smaller carrying capacity than my wife's Galaxy that I've been borrowing for a month and she needs it back!

I know that the NV-200 is narrower than most vans - so the installation of an extra front seat is not an option, but I would like to know if it is possible - or safe - to get a single or double rear seat installed in the cargo area of the van. I haven't been able to find out if there are any mount points in the van for extra seats as I can't imagine there being a differently made shell from the combi/people carrier version. Can anyone tell me if these are present, even under the floor?

I understand that the battery is under the floor just behind the bulkhead and this may be an issue for installation of an aftermarket front row.

I'm going to ring Nissan later (if anyone's working) to see if anyone at a sales centre can answer my question, but they probably either won't know or try to flog me a 10k more expensive Combi... which I don't need.

As Lockdown III has started, I need a van more than ever as volumes are going to be up. I would be grateful if someone could at least point me in the direction of an answer.

Many thanks.

Steve
Welcome

A number of people have added a double row of seats either in front or behind the real wheel arches. The mounting points are not present in the van although the reinforcements are so you have to either weld or drill to add the actual points - in the former case this can be done without removing the HV battery and the latter it is safest to drop the battery but you can leave it connected.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Steve, you could add a rock n roll bed, would give you the seating and when flat (with or without the padding) a large flat load area, and a sleeping option 😁

David

Kk

Many thanks.

Steve

·
Registered
3,550 Posts

Many thanks.

Steve
Its something I’ve looked into myself and as @dk6780 its possible - if you ask around you may find someone who has done it before, I found a camper converter who had and could fit a double seat in with rails (so it could be moved/removed) and quoted £2000+VAT for the work - I imagine a foxed seat would be cheaper

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your quick responses. I take it these options have been certified and are legally safe? How would I go about this? How much does it normally affect insurance premium when modified in this way?

Ideally I'd need to get rails so the seat can be easily removed to maximise cargo space. Not got the van yet, but have a 20K budget to play with. The 40KWh-battery version is a must... so after 2018... the combi is totally out of the question.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts