Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone retro-fitted a rear windscreen wiper to Ampera? Seems a massive oversight to me on a car car packed with technology...

·
Registered
112 Posts
I find the rest screen heater seems to remove most moisture. Rain-x helps too.
Great idea to use it on the reversing camera - a bit of rain turns it from one of the worst I've ever experienced into completely useless

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,454 Posts
Has anyone retro-fitted a rear windscreen wiper to Ampera? Seems a massive oversight to me on a car car packed with technology...
That was one of the pluses for me. I usually remove useless rear wiper arms. They add noise and disrupt the rear aerodynamics.

..each to their own...

I honestly can't say I ever noticed the rear window was so dirty that I felt I needed to wipe it clear.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I suspect the flat angle and aerodynamics mean that it acquires rain and wet when parked but doesn't suck up dirty road water when travelling like the near vertical back of a hatchback or 4x4, so the fairly clean moisture goes away quite easily and doesn't re-accumulate.
The small vertical panel does get mucky, though, even with Rain-x.
If it really vexes, a squeegee clean, or Dyson window vac, before setting off would be the perfectionists answer.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
30,454 Posts
Err.. not sure what you people are doing even driving an EV in the rain! Crazy people!

:sneaky:

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,659 Posts
When I had a Calibra the rear window had a similar rake and it had a rear wiper, which parked vertically up the side so I presume that it didn't affect the aerodynamics as much as a horizontally parked one. It was really useful when there was rain/dew on the rear window but once on the move rarely needed to be used. It didn't have the wee extra window in the back though or the reversing camera, (in those days it would have been super 8).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts