Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I have been having an annoying new issue with the rear wiper on my 16 reg Golf GTE. Quite often when activated for intermittent wipe or screen wash it is sticking in the same 11 o'clock position. Sometimes it will move back to the horizontal position itself, but other times the wiper needs turning off and on again on the stalk. Lately it seems to be a bit worse and the odd time will stick in other positions, but usually 11 o'clock.

It seems to happen whatever the temperature outside. I have checked the wiper and although not that new, it is clean and flexible. It was no better after washing the car.

I did an internet search and some Golf owners were having similar issues, but no one seemed to be able to come up with a firm cause or solution. Has anyone here had a similar issue and found a fix?

I would prefer to avoid a trip for the car to the dealership, but if I can't find a solution that might be my only option. Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,632 Posts
It’s been a long time achilles heal on the Golf, that of the rear wiper motor failing, which is what yours sounds like it’s doing. the cause on older golfs was water getting into the motor units via the rear washer pipe, but I can’t remember if the GTE has a washer nozzle on the wiper spindle or from the rear spoiler area?

It could be the stalk as well, or a wiring issue.

Do you know anybody with VCDS, a fault code may have been generated that could narrow it down?

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It’s been a long time achilles heal on the Golf, that of the rear wiper motor failing, which is what yours sounds like it’s doing. the cause on older golfs was water getting into the motor units via the rear washer pipe, but I can’t remember if the GTE has a washer nozzle on the wiper spindle or from the rear spoiler area?

It could be the stalk as well, or a wiring issue.

Do you know anybody with VCDS, a fault code may have been generated that could narrow it down?
Thanks.
I will try listening to see if any any sounds suggesting a failing motor. But looks like a trip to the dealer for replacement to make use of my extended warranty before it expires in April.
On the GTE the washer nozzle is at the top for the glass.

I don't have access to VCDS. I do have a cheap ODB2 bluetooth adapter that I use with the Torque smartphone app. Worked OK on my Fords. But not tried it on a VW. Do you think this would work or at least read the fault codes?

Many thanks

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,632 Posts
Thanks.
I will try listening to see if any any sounds suggesting a failing motor. But looks like a trip to the dealer for replacement to make use of my extended warranty before it expires in April.

I don't have access to VCDS. I do have a cheap ODB2 bluetooth adapter that I use with the Torque smartphone app. Worked OK on my Fords. But not tried it on a VW. Do you think this would work or at least read the fault codes?

Many thanks
It would be worth giving it a try, if it pulls a code then you can Google it and see what it suggests?

I’m not sure if most OBD readers can scan modules the way that VCDS does, so may be of limited use, but no harm trying.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thanks.

Many thanks
The fact that it always stops around the same place suggests the motor is the issue. Assuming it is a DC brush motor wear on the commutator (the interface between the fixed wiring and rotating motor spindle) can mean that at that one spot / angle there is a bad connection.

That said if switching the wiper off and on again sets it working there may be another root cause, but I think motor is still most likely.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It would be worth giving it a try, if it pulls a code then you can Google it and see what it suggests?

I’m not sure if most OBD readers can scan modules the way that VCDS does, so may be of limited use, but no harm trying.
OBD reader couldn't connect to the ECU, so no fault codes available. I am not surprised given most people seem to need to use VCDS to do or see anything with VWs, plus I only got a cheap reader. I did toy with the idea of buying OBDeleven, which does support VAG cars but as I didn't do my own servicing and didn't want to use any of the customisation options it offers, didn't bother getting it.

I tried the rear wiper again today. I couldn't get it to repeat the behaviour but it is warm and dry. The motor does sound a bit noisy though, so I wonder if it is failing. Hopefully I can get it to repeat the problem and video it before I take it to the dealer as proof.

Reactions: Tooks

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
If it does it again can you try and give the wiper arm a nudge in the same direction as it was heading when it stopped?

It maybe nothing happens because of the gearing between wiper arm and motor, but if it does restart it is pointing more towards the motor

·
Registered
126 Posts
Happened to mine, I unplugged it, plugged it back in and it worked for another year. Then started doing the same again, that fix didn't work the 2nd time, so I swapped the motor.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Frustratingly with the warmer weather it is working again and I haven't managed to take any video of the problem. That doesn't help a warranty claim!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts