Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, this is a lengthy pre-amble,but please bear with me, i really need some help.

A large stone fell from a truck travelling towards my wife on the opposite carriage and after bouncing over the barrier it crashed into the front grille of our 2015 Nissan Leaf. My wife was in the car alone driving from work.

Luckily she was ok.

On checking the damage when I got home I could see the grille was cracked but the damage looked purely cosmetic. The car drove fine without any issues. 3 weeks later we took it in for its first service. We were surprised when told by the Dealership technician that the radiator had been emptied of coolant as the stone had passed through the grille and cracked the radiator housing and all coolant had leeched from the system !!

I complained that at least the car should have had a warning light to let me know the coolant level was low/empty. Technician agreed and thought I should call Nissan Customer services to get compensation for the repairs.
I explained to Nissan Cust services the damage caused and the total loss of coolant, but that the car was driving fine, and the battery temp remained at the same constant 4 bar level. I explained there was no need for me to think the car was in any trouble whatsoever and the car dashboard did not tell me there was any issue. (including low coolant level)

The Nissan main office man would not take any responsibility for the lack of a key warning sign showing that the coolant was low/missing as he claimed its needed as it is not as critical in the Leaf because of the way the cooling system works. He said the car could still be driven but we should not go on long journeys and should have it fixed asap. Their was no mention of any risk to the battery.

We kept our journeys to just 3 miles to work and back. We drove it like this for 2 weeks until one day our normal charging station at the front of the house did not charge the car at all and the house consumer unit tripped. When we tried charging through the same car port via our 13amp plug connection once again the house electrics tripped.

I drove to the Nissan dealership and charged up with the their fast charge cable through the cars 2nd larger charging port. The car charged fine.

The dealership are now in the process of trying to fix the charging problem but will not touch the charging issue until they have replaced the coolant tank/radiator at a price £545.

My questions are;

1) Has anyone else had a no charge issue on one car charge port only following a loss of coolant ?
2) Should I go somewhere else to have the coolant tank/radiator replaced or is £545 the going rate ? seems astronomical to me. (They wanted to charge £146 just to put the coolant in !!!! and bleed it. )
3 I fear they may say the lack of coolant is the reason one of the charging ports is not working so invalidating my warranty. even though the 2nd charging port (fast charge) works fine.
4) I am an engineer and it appears the dealership are not knowledgeable re. electrical/technical issues on the Leaf. They admit it is a new area for them. I feel they are making it up as we go along.
I fear I may yet have a huge additional fee to correct the fault on the cars regular charge port as they will say it is not covered by warranty.

5) Does anyone have any expertise sufficient to confirm whether or not the charging ports are temperamental and can fail.?
6) Is it possible that a radiator without coolant can cause one of the cars charge points to fail while the other charge port works perfectly ?
7) If the consequences of low/no coolant can be that this can cause a charge port to fail, should there not be a warning light to alert the driver of the impending serious issue that could arise from this rare situation.?
Thank you for any expert guidance.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think the charger is cooled by the coolant and may be the Dc to ac inverter and the motor, as for the battery that is passively cooled

·
Registered
699 Posts
From the diagram you can clearly see coolant pipe coming and going from the charger which is the top part of the motor assembly the pdm or power delivery module Page 7

·
Registered
MG ZS EV Exclusive
318 Posts
Just a thought; you could claim on your insurance, then both the charging and cooling system could be fixed.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
it certainly sounds plausible that it's the coolant for the onboard AC-DC charger that has been lost and the charger has subsequently overheated. The large charging port is a direct DC connection to the battery, so bypasses the onboard AC-DC charger.

I had a similar problem with my Prius, stone punctured one of the rads and lost all the motor inverter coolant. It quickly overheated and at that point threw up a warning message, seem to remember that was about £400 to repair.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes looks like a £1500 pound job at least
Thanks, I have decided that this is the way I will go. Takes all the dealership hassle out of it and the massive cost. Thanks a lot for your help with this. Seems now like a no brainer but for a while wasn't sure which way to go.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just a thought; you could claim on your insurance, then both the charging and cooling system could be fixed.
Hi Mike, yes I have decided to go down this route. Wanted to stay with dealership but lost confidence in their ability and costs so prohibitive. Thanks for you kind assistance.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it certainly sounds plausible that it's the coolant for the onboard AC-DC charger that has been lost and the charger has subsequently overheated. The large charging port is a direct DC connection to the battery, so bypasses the onboard AC-DC charger.

I had a similar problem with my Prius, stone punctured one of the rads and lost all the motor inverter coolant. It quickly overheated and at that point threw up a warning message, seem to remember that was about £400 to repair.
Edd I'm going down the insurance route following the very helpful feedback from you guys. But just a question....did the the coolant issue on your Prius effect your ability to charge your car ? or did the warning light come up before you got to that stage ? Finally did you get any kind of warning to let you know you had lost your coolant ? Cheers pal.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I have a feeling you may get some push back from the insurance company as you didn't claim straight away.

I hope it all works out for you, and hopefully the dealerships will get more knowledgeable once the uptake of EV's is enough.

·
Super Moderator
7,303 Posts
Edd I'm going down the insurance route following the very helpful feedback from you guys. But just a question....did the the coolant issue on your Prius effect your ability to charge your car ? or did the warning light come up before you got to that stage ? Finally did you get any kind of warning to let you know you had lost your coolant ? Cheers pal.
The prius was a hybrid only, so no charging.
No warning that the coolant was gone, but if you used the car for more than about ten minutes a warning message would come up (it took that long for the inverter to overheat) and the car went into a kind of limp mode.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Think you should get onto nissan direct about this not through a dealer or at least the one you are using. Their should as you say be a waring light for low coolant levels if this is what can happen. Don't know what it says on the manual about using the car with out coolant but you may be able to persuade nissan to do it as a good will gesture. It is partly your fault as nissan would put it check your fluid levels frequently. But this should be made loud and clear by the car and manual. Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts