Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 2197 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we know that there are SCs either under construction or ready to go at
  1. Sainsburys stores near to Winchester, Bristol and Exeter
  2. Tesla's main London service centre at West Drayton.
It also seems clear that Tesla have done a deal with Q Hotels to put in various chargers. The Warrington SC is at a Q Hotel site, and today a site went live at Norton Park Hotel in Winchester (another Q Hotel, different to the Sainsburys location above).

Some additional sleuthing by owners this afternoon reveals that a supercharger is going to be installed at Tankersley Manor by the M1 near Sheffield (groundworks started; live by end Feb), and strongly suggests that The Cheltenham Chase Hotel (easy access from the M5) is also going to get one (because Q Hotels website lists Norton Park, Tankersley Manor and Cheltenham Chase as sites that will shortly be getting chargers).

And finally an owner was told yesterday by Eurotunnel staff that Tesla have broken ground in the car park at the Eurotunnel Terminal in Folkestone.

This is all great news. I'm not sure I'd expect the pace to continue like this though - it sounds like a huge burst of effort was expended last year following Ecotrictygate and it's now all bearing fruit at once. Happy to be proved wrong though!

The Q Hotel sites in particular sound like they're gaining both Superchargers and also another type of charger alongside (the Warrington SC site clearly has groundworks for a non-Tesla charge point next to it, and Q Hotels website talks about 3 chargers being installed, which is a very strange number to be supercharger bays).

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an excellent source to say your sleuthing is spot on...
Well it's not my sleuthing - I've just read updates on the owners FB group and the TM forum and summarised them here. But yes I would say that all of these have come from very credible sources.

I expect Q Hotels staff across the country will be bombarded tomorrow with sneaky calls from Model S owners asking when their "new Tesla charger" is going live, to sniff out any more that haven't yet been discovered ;-)

·
Registered
32 Posts
So we know that there are SCs either under construction or ready to go at
  1. Sainsburys stores near to Winchester, Bristol and Exeter
  2. Tesla's main London service centre at West Drayton.
It also seems clear that Tesla have done a deal with Q Hotels to put in various chargers. The Warrington SC is at a Q Hotel site, and today a site went live at Norton Park Hotel in Winchester (another Q Hotel, different to the Sainsburys location above).

Some additional sleuthing by owners this afternoon reveals that a supercharger is going to be installed at Tankersley Manor by the M1 near Sheffield (groundworks started; live by end Feb), and strongly suggests that The Cheltenham Chase Hotel (easy access from the M5) is also going to get one (because Q Hotels website lists Norton Park, Tankersley Manor and Cheltenham Chase as sites that will shortly be getting chargers).

And finally an owner was told yesterday by Eurotunnel staff that Tesla have broken ground in the car park at the Eurotunnel Terminal in Folkestone.

This is all great news. I'm not sure I'd expect the pace to continue like this though - it sounds like a huge burst of effort was expended last year following Ecotrictygate and it's now all bearing fruit at once. Happy to be proved wrong though!

The Q Hotel sites in particular sound like they're gaining both Superchargers and also another type of charger alongside (the Warrington SC site clearly has groundworks for a non-Tesla charge point next to it, and Q Hotels website talks about 3 chargers being installed, which is a very strange number to be supercharger bays).
You're sure that the coming chargers at Tankersley Manor and Cheltenham Chase will be Tesla Superchargers? And not some type 2 22kW outlets? Something from Zero Carbon World maybe?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Could somebody please go spy at the Eurotunnel Terminal in Folkstone and find the location? And maybe guess the number of stalls? Please go to the map at supercharge.info and place a new marker at the correct location and post the GPS coordinates here...

·
Registered
32 Posts
OK - I will add Tankersley (construction) and Cheltenham (permit) to supercharge.info. I will also just guess the placement of the supercharger at Eurotunnel at Folkstone to be on the parking lot of the welcome center (departures) and add it there as under construction. Looking forward to a more exact position as soon as anyone can find out.

·
Registered
32 Posts
All now added to supercharge.info. I would really appreciate pictures of building sites - and a proper position for the chargers at Eurotunnel. I think it makes a big difference if they are placed at the departures area - which I understand is not accessible for people arriving to UK? Charging while you wait to board is nice for those going to France. I hope there will be a similar facility on the French side. On the other hand - I assume those that need it the most have been speeding to get to the boarding in time and will hence not have time to charge either. They would rather benefit from a charger on the arrivals side... So.. Where are they placing them?

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
All now added to supercharge.info. I would really appreciate pictures of building sites - and a proper position for the chargers at Eurotunnel. I think it makes a big difference if they are placed at the departures area - which I understand is not accessible for people arriving to UK? Charging while you wait to board is nice for those going to France. I hope there will be a similar facility on the French side. On the other hand - I assume those that need it the most have been speeding to get to the boarding in time and will hence not have time to charge either. They would rather benefit from a charger on the arrivals side... So.. Where are they placing them?
I would say at this point that the Eurotunnel site is just a "solid rumour" which as far as I know comes from one Model S owner talking to some Eurotunnel staff. No photos that I know of. Something could have been lost in translation, or it might actually be Type 2 chargers, etc etc. It might be premature to be listing it on supercharge.info. If it really is inside the Eurotunnel departure terminal at Folkestone then as far as I know this will be the first limited access supercharger in the world - you would only be able to use it if you have a ticket to cross the channel.

The Q Hotels sites have either been confirmed by multiple different people (and are already obliquely referenced on their website) so I'd be confident about adding those to your site.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Also @Andrewas the London Portman Square supercharger is out of service following a gas explosion last year - you should mark it as such on your site. And Westfield White City is now 8 bays, and Bluewater is back up to 6 bays. And finally the Tesla showroom at West Drayton has at least 4 bays installed (covers still on, but appears complete) :)

·
Registered
359 Posts

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
One of the members of the Tesla owners FB group has been hunting a Leeds supercharger and has struck gold.

Staff at the Village Urban Hotel near M62 J28 (just south of Leeds) have confirmed to him that they are having a supercharger installed, intended to go live by end of Feb.

If true that would be a third network partner for TM (on top of Sainsburys and Q Hotels), with some very interesting other sites in their network (M6 J10 in Birmigham, in both Cardiff and Swansea, on the M56 near Chester, M4 at Swindon, sites at Aberdeen and Glasgow, and various in the Midlands e.g. near Nottingham on the M1 and around Manchester/Liverpool area).

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
...and (just reported over on TMC) according to the contractors finishing off one of the now-live Sainsburys sites last week, the agreement between TM and Sainsburys is for superchargers at.... sixty supermarket sites (!!) each initially at 2 bays but built with electricity supply capacity to grow out to 6. Apparently there are 2 in South Wales that will be coming online in the next few weeks.

As always, take with pinch of salt, believe when you see it, photos or it didn't happen etc :)

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Surely that's pretty much all their stores? Fantastic news if so!
Sainsburys have 1,200 stores in the UK, around half of which are "full size" supermarkets rather than smaller "Sainsburys Local" sites. So this is actually just a "pilot" scheme at a mere 10% of their sites ;-)

I don't see that being true for a long time. It would cost Tesla a fortune, they will be underused and Sainsbury's will become disillusioned.
Yes I wasn't suggesting that would be 60 sites in February :)
Could be a 3 or 5 year contract perhaps.

That said, actually at £200k for each 2 bay SC site (which seems like a reasonable finger in the air figure based on anecdotal chat from the US) then installing 60 of them only requires £12M in cash, and since a lot of the cost is capital assets (the actual SC units), the impact on their P&L would be much lower. I realise £12M is quite a chunk but it's not a big deal in terms of Tesla's overall financial position. At 25% profit margin on the car (I've heard the Model S has a target margin of 28%) it's the profit made on around 600 cars, so they could fund this entirely from revenues from 2014 UK sales... if they really wanted to.

·
Registered
2,347 Posts
At 25% profit margin on the car (I've heard the Model S has a target margin of 28%) it's the profit made on around 600 cars, so they could fund this entirely from revenues from 2014 UK sales... if they really wanted to.
Put another way... 600 cars is less than 1 week's production. :)

1 - 20 of 2197 Posts