Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2201 - 2220 of 2251 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
I used Birchanger twice this week. I’ve never seen so many Teslas in one place (outside of the service centre)! Still, everyone was polite and orderly. Nice conversation with the M3 LR owner adjacent who regularly suffers range anxiety. He didn’t realise that he could charge at any CCS charger and was interested when I explained.

I think Birchanger needs extra stalls. It must be bad at peak times!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I drive past the proposed Colchester Supercharger site every so and didn’t notice any more activity last time...... Will drop in next week and have a look to see if anything has kicked off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I drive past the proposed Colchester Supercharger site every so and didn’t notice any more activity last time...... Will drop in next week and have a look to see if anything has kicked off...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
any sign of anything happening ? where is the site ?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Some recent updates I've come across:
1. Colchester/Best Western Marks Tey: construction has started. There's a photo on the Superchargers app showing the charger cabinets unwrapped and now in place.
2. London Heathrow T5 expansion: normally I'm out of range but was able to check the Nav map on the weekend which showed 12 bays now live. Originally it was 8 but it looked like another 8 were being added - so eventually there should be 16 available. It may be that they are all live but the Nav hasn't caught up yet.
3. London Westfield: again courtesy of the Superchargers app it looks like the 16 new bays are now live, taking the total there to 24, now the largest Supercharger in the UK.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Oxford however now looks completely shut from what I hear (not just 8 bays)

(not sure I can say something "looks shut" based on what I've "heard" but you get the idea :-/ )
Yes I was reading about that - speculation that an extension to a hotel there has caused power supply issues. I'm sure Tesla aren't happy about this and will work to resolve it ASAP - after all they only managed to get the final 4 of the 16 stalls live in Aug/Sep this year.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
That new Peartree site can't come soon enough!

Meanwhile, Woodall is getting maxed out most days now, I was there last Weds around midday and it was full. The 32 bay (or indeed, any number) on the NB side cannot come soon enough - ditto basically every other site on the plan. If only we had a Georg to give us an update (for those who don't know, Georg Ell was UK/EU top dog and a nice bloke, who used to organise the Tesla Clubhouse events - very handy info gleaned back in the day...)

·
Registered
292 Posts
South Mimms is also getting maxxed out regularly. There is now an automatic cut off at 80% charge, but you can override it on the app. Seems a sensible idea, but also smells of sticking plaster. With the huge number of model 3s hitting the road, we simply need more superchargers. What proportion of the "opening 2019" have actually done so?

·
Registered
596 Posts

Meanwhile, Woodall is getting maxed out most days now, I was there last Weds around midday and it was full. The 32 bay (or indeed, any number) on the NB side cannot come soon enough - ditto basically every other site on the plan. If only we had a Georg to give us an update (for those who don't know, Georg Ell was UK/EU top dog and a nice bloke, who used to organise the Tesla Clubhouse events - very handy info gleaned back in the day...)
Has it officially been confirmed that we are getting North Bound Tesla Superchargers?

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,214
There is no Peartree site. It's generally accepted that:
  1. the grey pin near Peartree actually represented general planned expansion in the Oxford area, which was delivered when Oxford services went from 6 to 16 bays
  2. the fact it's been left behind on the map is just an oversight, probably because it was delivered via an expansion of an existing site rather than the launch of a new one.
The same happened south of Birmingham - for ages there was a pin a few miles away from Hopwood and everyone thought another site was coming, but it just represented the planned growth of that existing site.

·
Registered
5,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,215
What proportion of the "opening 2019" have actually done so?
Far too few, sadly.

UK is the hardest market Tesla operate in to get superchargers installed. The two main problems are
  1. wayleaves (i.e. being held to ransom by adjacent landowners who add zeroes to the price when they find out who's involved)
  2. DNO transformer leases (the DNO typically expects to be given a 99 year lease on the site for the transformer, but Tesla only enter into ~10y arrangements with the site owner so it's often difficult to get them to give the longer lease to the DNO when there's a risk they may have 89 years with no benefit in the future).
I am told that there is a recently inked strategic partnership that will unlock a few sites across the UK, but as ever you have to take these things with a pinch of salt until they actually happen.

Still, I got 148kW in my MX at Newport Pagnell last week which certainly reduced charging time and freed up the charger more quickly!

·
Registered
857 Posts
This is the kind of thing that needs to change via legislation: hopefully the next government, whomever they shall be, makes the changes needed. It shouldn't be hard to get a wayleave to put power into an MSA. It's going to be urgently necessary to enable the expansion of the Tesla, Ionity and other networks.

If I had an ounce of political power I'd make it so anyone who claims compensation for having power lines across their property duly receives their payment, in return for no further electricity supply to their properties. Perhaps I won't be elected any time soon though.

·
Registered
439 Posts
What proportion of the "opening 2019" have actually done so?
I expect it's a rhetorical question but seeing as I have a spreadsheet here goes...

Short answer: 2/28 (7%)

Longer answer: So far Perth and Wokingham have opened this year. Perth originally appeared as a "by 2018" pin whereas Wokingham was always "2019". The 4-bay Supercharger at Stockport (Manchester - South) which also opened this year didn't have a grey pin (and wasn't on the in-car Nav map last time I checked).

However in addition to the above 4 sites have been significantly expanded (Grantham, Folkestone Eurotunnel, Heathrow and London - Westfield). If I add on the 4 bays commissioned at Oxford this year that's a grand total of 72 new bays so far which isn't a bad annual total for the UK looking at previous years (e.g. in 2018 58 bays were added including 6 new sites). On top of this, Tesla managed to retrofit CCS connectors to every Supercharger stand.

It looks like Leavesden would have opened had it not fallen foul of planning laws; there's also construction activity at Eurocentral (nr. Glasgow) and Colchester so we may yet see a couple more sites open before the end of the year.

Tesla do make a rod for their own back with their "coming soon" pins and while progress is slow at least it is still being made. There's a post over on the TOGUK FB group comparing Tesla's roll-out with that of Ionity which shows (IMO) that Tesla is doing pretty well, all things considered, and is still a couple of years or more ahead of anyone else.

I'm using https://www.tesla.com/en_GB/findus/list/superchargers/United+Kingdom which has a couple of discrepancies compared with the map (e.g. Perth points to Balborough, near Woodall; Amesbury has a pin but isn't on the text list). I based the "28" figure on the last big list update in June 2019. There are currently 27 coming soon sites, plus Amesbury.

·
Registered
10 Posts
At the weekend I saw that the Park Royal service centre has cabling and pedestals for 12 superchargers and a big hole in the ground with some work on the electrical supply. There are no cabinets and it was all locked up for the weekend. Does anyone know what the plans are here? will it become a public supercharger or just for the service centre. It would be Ideal for me with no home charging as closer and easier to access than White city, but if only open in service hours it would be less useful.

·
Registered
439 Posts
At the weekend I saw that the Park Royal service centre has cabling and pedestals for 12 superchargers and a big hole in the ground with some work on the electrical supply. There are no cabinets and it was all locked up for the weekend. Does anyone know what the plans are here? will it become a public supercharger or just for the service centre. It would be Ideal for me with no home charging as closer and easier to access than White city, but if only open in service hours it would be less useful.
Yes I forgot about Park Royal in my list above! From what I've seen online it's looking like 16 bays are going in and there is good reason to suspect they might be the new higher power V3 chargers (@mgboyes has more expert knowledge about this). This is another site that could possibly go live before the end of the year, if not just after, and doesn't have a grey pin on Tesla's map.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Yes I forgot about Park Royal in my list above! From what I've seen online it's looking like 16 bays are going in and there is good reason to suspect they might be the new higher power V3 chargers (@mgboyes has more expert knowledge about this). This is another site that could possibly go live before the end of the year, if not just after, and doesn't have a grey pin on Tesla's map.
I counted 10 chargers at Park Royal today. They will be the fastest chargers in Europe and on line next week!

2201 - 2220 of 2251 Posts