Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

2241 - 2260 of 2305 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
not exactly supercharger related, but I wonder if anyone can help - I am expecting my Model 3 within the next month or two and I have a question about "destination charging". Tesla website makes Supercharger pricing perfectly clear, but how much does "Tesla destination charging" cost? Is the the same cost across the whole country? Is it free? What about "destination charging" in continental Europe? Same price as UK? Free? Does it vary from one location to another"?
Destination charging is AC only, the intention was always that it is free (as the business owners get these units provided by Tesla for free), however I see some business owners ask a fee. My suggestion would be to plug yourself in and ask.
Short answer is that it varies from one location to another and pricing, if any, is decided by the host. Also many locations are for customers/patrons only so for this reason I'd check before plugging in. Destination chargers should all be listed in the Nav with location and contact details so you can phone ahead and check arrangements. I've only ever used one once at Parc-y-Scarlets in Llanelli, that one happens to be available to all and free to use (but you need to know if a match is being played!).

As @Slammer says the units are provided to the business by Tesla for free so those that charge a fee for their use are being a bit tight. On the flip side, rocking up to a small hotel/restaurant and expecting a free charge without paying for any of their services, even if it's just a drink or two, is also a bit cheeky. Personally in terms of the moral maze I view it a bit like using the toilet on the premises! So my preference would be a free charge offered to customers (who are paying for food/accommodation etc.) but this certainly isn't a universal rule.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Short answer is that it varies from one location to another and pricing, if any, is decided by the host. Also many locations are for customers/patrons only so for this reason I'd check before plugging in. Destination chargers should all be listed in the Nav with location and contact details so you can phone ahead and check arrangements. I've only ever used one once at Parc-y-Scarlets in Llanelli, that one happens to be available to all and free to use (but you need to know if a match is being played!).

As @Slammer says the units are provided to the business by Tesla for free so those that charge a fee for their use are being a bit tight. On the flip side, rocking up to a small hotel/restaurant and expecting a free charge without paying for any of their services, even if it's just a drink or two, is also a bit cheeky. Personally in terms of the moral maze I view it a bit like using the toilet on the premises! So my preference would be a free charge offered to customers (who are paying for food/accommodation etc.) but this certainly isn't a universal rule.
I wouldn't expect a free charge without using the facilities, I am just planning some trips and I wonder if there is any point in specifically looking for hotels, attractions or restaurants with Tesla destination chargers - if they are free, it may be a deciding factor

·
Registered
988 Posts
I wouldn't expect a free charge without using the facilities, I am just planning some trips and I wonder if there is any point in specifically looking for hotels, attractions or restaurants with Tesla destination chargers - if they are free, it may be a deciding factor
I certainly seek them out, partly as a thank you for them having them. They do tend to be higher end establishments so you do pay in that sense but tbh I’d they’re the sort of places I’d tend to gravitate to anyway.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Construction activity appeared just this week at Woodall southbound. Cable ducting (for routing cables) has been put in which goes from next to Stall 1A to between Shell garage and Days Inn hotel. No action near the 4 stall inverters though.Possible expansion for southbound? Or new stalls for the hotel?
busy supercharger

excuse the poor photos
918CF173-B022-476D-BD88-8D78618B614A.jpeg

E36CAE19-0610-4CE4-AD59-D73913370069.jpeg

·
Registered
659 Posts
Construction activity appeared just this week at Woodall southbound. Cable ducting (for routing cables) has been put in which goes from next to Stall 1A to between Shell garage and Days Inn hotel. No action near the 4 stall inverters though.Possible expansion for southbound? Or new stalls for the hotel?
busy supercharger

excuse the poor photos
View attachment 126583 View attachment 126584
View attachment 126585
View attachment 126586
Hopefully its for the Northbound side? :D

·
Striving for a greener planet
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD 19" FSD; Renault Zoe Q210 22kWh
377 Posts
Out of interest, does anyone know the reasons for the delay in commissioning Fleet services southbound. All the stalls are there etc just not up and running.

·
377 Posts
Shame, as northbound is up and running but southbound would suit me better. Purely for selfish reasons, as a family we can stop for a spot to eat charge and then push on to Cornwall in the summer at decent times. Hopefully won't be too long till it's up and running

·
377 Posts
So speaking to another Tesla owner at Fleet S yesterday, apparently there is a cable that needs to be run from the main building to the Superchargers and since the building burnt down and has been rebuilt, the current land owner won’t let it be done.
Don’t know how true that is but seems a bit of a waste with it all but functional

·
Registered
15,537 Posts
So speaking to another Tesla owner at Fleet S yesterday, apparently there is a cable that needs to be run from the main building to the Superchargers and since the building burnt down and has been rebuilt, the current land owner won’t let it be done.
Don’t know how true that is but seems a bit of a waste with it all but functional
I’m sure they would allow if for a price - which may be the real issue.

Are the EH rapids working at Fleet South? :)

·
377 Posts
Haha, the CCS faulted as I pushed the button to select it so completely useless

·
Registered
3 Posts
Tried the new (V3?) Supercharger at EuroCentral. Two different bays, maximum charge was 35kW- slowest I’ve ever seen.
Car was (Scottish) warm- full regen showing! Anyone managed full rate charging at EuroCentral yet?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Will it be a V3 Supercharger?
Given that it's a brand new site that would be the logical choice. However the site plans (landscape master plan pdf) show a V2 layout (6 cabinets for 12 bays); looking at the revision list they were added to the drawings in May 2019 and I can't recall if that was before Tesla revealed their V3 design.

V3 is CCS only so wouldn't be compatible with older S & X cars so they might go for a V2/V3 mix as has been used at Park Royal.

Having done a Google I gather Moto plan to have the site open later this year so hopefully compared with some other sites we won't have too long to find out what the final layout and capacity will be.

·
Registered
453 Posts
Having done a Google I gather Moto plan to have the site open later this year so hopefully compared with some other sites we won't have too long to find out what the final layout and capacity will be.
Also worth noting for non-Tesla drivers there are 10-12 other bays for electric car charging. The drawing notes mention Ecotricity although the equipment layout looks more like that of a Supercharger (1 charging stall per bay plus extra kit at one end) rather than typical multi-head rapid units (which usually have a pair of bays for each self-contained unit). Outside the Tesla universe that makes it a big charging hub!

·
Registered
453 Posts
Tried the new (V3?) Supercharger at EuroCentral. Two different bays, maximum charge was 35kW- slowest I’ve ever seen.
Car was (Scottish) warm- full regen showing! Anyone managed full rate charging at EuroCentral yet?
Eurocentral is V2. Several drivers have said they've seen rates over 130 kW, several drivers have complained that it's slow. I suspect the limiting factor is the car not the charger and probably due to low temperatures. Anecdotally software updates over the last 6-9 months have made max Supercharging rates much more sensitive to non-optimum temperatures. I've also read elsewhere that even if full regen is available the car will still limit Supercharging (which I guess is supplying a high power over a longer period than a brief burst of regen). In my experience you need 1 hour+ of high-speed driving to get the battery reasonably warm at this time of year (MS 70).

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
Also, the planning permission requires that the EV charging is installed before the site can open, which should concentrate minds!

They are required to agree the specification with the council in advance, so we should see the final arrangement at that stage.

Although Rugby - motorway services claims that it will be Tesla/Chargemaster/Ecotricity, it's not clear where they got that info from (none of the operators concerned seem to have issued any kind of public statement). The markings on the plan look like T for the Tesla logo and an inverted-triangle logo for the next 10 stalls - which is more like Instavolt than anyone else. Also notable that Instavolt had planning permission up the road at Corley (Welcome Break), but that was never built (maybe for power reasons?). Ecotricity would be expected on the basis of their previously-announced 10-year contract, assuming they can find enough cash down the back of their sofa for any chargepoints. Ionity would be the other obvious contender, though it's not on their map and doesn't look like their logo. Chargemaster would seem less likely based on past behaviour, though this could be a new deal with Moto.

Meanwhile, Moto also have planning application in for a smaller site on the A1(M) at Sawtry (south of Peterborough), which has 12 EV charging bays (no indication there as to operator). It seems clear from these applications that EV charging is effectively mandatory to get planning permission for a new service area .

·
Registered
435 Posts
Interesting comments, thank you. I guess the Tesla part of a site near Peterborough would take some of the pressure away from Birchanger.

I still hope for a SuC site on the A1 between Scotch Corner and Grantham.

2241 - 2260 of 2305 Posts