Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
558 Posts
I was thinking it'd be well into 6 figures so £80k is not bad, shame I'm never going to be able to afford one though!!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,109 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
I really give a lot of credit and respect to the guy behind this venture but, sadly, and as much as I love the idea, I have very serious concerns over the safety of these or similar cars. They are new cars an therefore need to meet all current standards for safety. If they do, brilliant, but if they don't I suspect they will run into problems. Has any crash testing been done?

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
558 Posts
I'm guessing they are probably as safe if not slightly safer than the original MGB, so about as safe as a paper bag! I think people who drive classics are well aware of their cars limitations and dangers if a crash should happen generally speaking they tend to be driven slowly and carefully. I'm all for safety equipment but I still think the most important factor is the person sitting behind the wheel.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
4,109 Posts
I really give a lot of credit and respect to the guy behind this venture but, sadly, and as much as I love the idea, I have very serious concerns over the safety of these or similar cars. They are new cars an therefore need to meet all current standards for safety. If they do, brilliant, but if they don't I suspect they will run into problems. Has any crash testing been done?
In the video, he says they pass IVA, which is basically a "super" MOT test.

·
Banned
843 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
But how much would you spend fixing rust?
One thing I learned a long time ago, when I owned Ford Anglias, is that you can't fix rust. Unfortunately, it was a lesson that took me quite a while to learn.

My brother, however, with his Citroen CS, went on an accelerated learning program.

Reactions: EdH

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Leaf 40kWh Tekna - love it
1,520 Posts
OK some amusing and very mildly irritating comments but I wouldn't be at all surprised if the UK finds it harder and harder to sell all their low volume cars abroad unless they comply with current safety regulations in the EU and USA. And frankly I wouldn't buy a car without air bags and side impact protection.
The only way for the UK to thrive in this area is to make modern, well equipped and safe cars that people want to buy.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Indeed, it's one thing to buy a new body shell for a rot ridden old classic, keeping what is ostensibly an old car on the road in the most cost effective manner, but another to be building a new car that doesn't conform to expected safety standards.

·
Registered
3,637 Posts
But then they wont be classics that are converted.
the reasons the rules are there for low volume makers is that they cant afford to trash 5-10 fully built vehicles in testing and then start sticking in crash bars, SIPS's, airbags and modules... On some of the cars youd easily add 200kg of weight with it all and its not worth as they would go out of business trying to be modern day safe.
Even a basic ABS and Traction system is about £500 for a retrofit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.