Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve dropped my car in for service today and was advised that there was a recall repair that required tending to as well. Has anybody else’s car been either specifically recalled or had this repair done upon presenting the car for a service? It was something to do with either insulation or seal in or around the low voltage battery. I have a 2018 GTE Advance.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Are you sure it was the low voltage battery? (12v i assume) My 2017 e-tron has just gone in to have the high voltage battery seal checked and resealed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Are you sure it was the low voltage battery? (12v i assume) My 2017 e-tron has just gone in to have the high voltage battery seal checked and resealed.
My Golf GTE had it's high voltage battery seals replaced last summer as part of a recall.

I've been getting regular warning messages about my 12V battery not charging recently. I guess it's down to it being sat idle for days on end due to working from home during COVID19. Once I've driven it somewhere it seems to be OK again.

·
Registered
44 Posts
My car is due a service so ive been on the internet seeing what needs doing and whilst on there it says the 12v battery should be replaced every 2 years!!!

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
That seems unusually aggressive, but it does seem that lead acid batteries have relatively short lives in hybrid and electric vehicles. Part of the problem may be that since the battery is not used to start the engine, it doesn't have a high current surge periodically that breaks sulfates off the battery plates. It's the same issue that infrequently used petrol vehicles have. It seems most EV manufacturers are fitting EV-specific batteries now; the GTE just has a regular battery that is used in the rest of the Golf lineup.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts