Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Black Quartz body- Red roof. Bought sight unseen, seat unsat, wheels unturned etc. etc.

First Impressions:- A genuinely useful car, marmite pretty, without any overly undue pretense.

One notable point:- Ever so slightly more compact than was anticipated. But not small and all around, seems properly fit for our purposes.

Pros - WRT un-run in raw newness, questionable tyre fitment/pressure settings.

Good tilting sqaub (memoryless) electric drivers seat along with reach & rake steering column, makes it easy to find a comfortable driving position. Overall very quiet, smooth and stressless. Fairly fast, reasonably poised. Feels well planted and quite safe/solid. Good pedal feel on regen to brake transition. Colour scheme a little more homogenous than others, particularly from rear. SUV exterior trim pack looks better in actual daylight rather than in photo/render images. Partly by being set against the dark body clolour but also by way of being overall a little more subtle and refined than expected. Remarkably good LED fog and headlights. Impressive sound system. Neither an underpowered slug nor a nauseatingly over quick sports car.

Cons - WRT international press/photo coverage, ownership of MG ZS EV and sufficient experience with Tesla M3 twin motor plus the odd one or two others.

Absent front parkng sensors (mean). Missing fold out rear seat center armrest/cupholder (nasty). Interior a little somber with no special lighting or panel colour differentiation save texture (miserly). Roof paint shade leans more towards overtones of a slightly brighter pinky tangerine than a dusty darkish red. Two plastic center console 'ribs' are, against left drivers leg, somewhat less than completely comfortable. Accelerator and brake pedal size and position acceptable but perhaps not entirely optimal.

Otherwise; and after only a few hours of preliminary familiarisation, seemingly, a truly excellent car.

More later?..

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Another little snippet to take into account is that the boot power feed. Commonly seen in the much on-line review coverage as being available from a 180w 12v outlet. In the UK Limited Edition is just a blanked off cover.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Another little snippet to take into account is that the boot power feed. Commonly seen in the much on-line review coverage as being available from a 180w 12v outlet. In the UK Limited Edition is just a blanked off cover.
Currently run the rear dashcam from that 12v in the current Soul. Never mind easily overcome. Wouldnt drive a car without front and rear dashcams any more.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Currently run the rear dashcam from that 12v in the current Soul. Never mind easily overcome. Wouldnt drive a car without front and rear dashcams any more.
No doubt a power supply could be found. Not had a car with a dashcam so don't really know what I'm missing.

What do you feel makes them so worthwhile?

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
No doubt a power supply could be found. Not had a car with a dashcam so don't really know what I'm missing.

What do you feel makes them so worthwhile?
In the event of an accident helps insurance claim with video evidence of who was at fault. Rear cam will catch any idiot on phone rolling/driving into you. The cameras have proven I was not at fault twice in 3 years. On both occasions the other driver swore I was at fault to their insurance company, my video evidence proved otherwise.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I temporarily received my Soul yesterday - after completing all of the paperwork, I drove about 200m before spotting a flashing warning symbol on the dash. Back to the dealership, who plugged in their diagnostic unit and identified that the handbrake wasn't releasing on one wheel. They packed me off with their e-Niro demonstrator and hopefully my car will be fixed tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I temporarily received my Soul yesterday - after completing all of the paperwork, I drove about 200m before spotting a flashing warning symbol on the dash. Back to the dealership, who plugged in their diagnostic unit and identified that the handbrake wasn't releasing on one wheel. They packed me off with their e-Niro demonstrator and hopefully my car will be fixed tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
And it's arrived on a more permanent basis now :). The dealership did the automotive equivalent of switching it off at the mains and back on again, and the fault didn't return.

I'm very pleased with it, as far as having it on my driveway is concerned. Hopefully I might get a chance to drive it in 3 weeks! :unsure:

As noted in the posts above, and given the otherwise pretty high spec of the car, the lack of front parking sensors seems strange. The absence of a 12V point in the boot is a nuisance; I'd happily have given up the one below the dashboard for that. In fact I'd much rather that Kia had supplied one or both of those rather than the "SUV pack" plastics, which cheapen the look of the car for me. They could have used that spare plastic to make a frunk for the cables, as there seems to be plenty of room under the bonnet...

On the whole though I'm really happy with the car, and particularly now having driven Kia's e-Niro demo car. I made the right choice.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
And it's arrived on a more permanent basis now :). The dealership did the automotive equivalent of switching it off at the mains and back on again, and the fault didn't return.

I'm very pleased with it, as far as having it on my driveway is concerned. Hopefully I might get a chance to drive it in 3 weeks! :unsure:

Good news and somewhat reassuring to hear the car is functional once again.

Curiosity has the better of me to learn which of the colour schemes you chose? As it's a notably impactful aspect at the rear of a chunky and quirky design. I probably over pondered this one a little.

Only ever seen my black one in real daylight. So, how well do you feel the body paint and tones of the SUV plastic mouldings along with the large body coloured mid rear screen trim panel. Particularly against the lower windshield gloss black trim, match up with or contrast overall?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Curiosity has the better of me to learn which of the colour schemes you chose? As it's a notably impactful aspect at the rear of a chunky and quirky design. I probably over pondered this one a little.
Mine's the same colour as your one - Cherry Black and Red. I'm not a fan of the plastic SUV pack, I think that the standard car available in other regions looks better, so black was really the only option for me to minimise the impact of the black plastics (and the gloss black rear panel that you mention). The black paint itself is really nice, particularly when the metallic flecks catch the sun, and the red looks great against it.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
83 Posts
Mine is white with red roof. Much admired by friends as well. The only thing that irritates me is the gloss black area surrounding the drive dial. It reflects the light too much and I see it in the corner of my eye. I will have to cover it with a matt black cloth.

·
Registered
15 Posts
What did you not like about the e-Niro?
For me, the e-Niro just came across as a pretty generic car (it was the early model e-Niro with the small centre screen, so the updated model might be better). But when comparing the two I found the Soul more appealing inside, and more individual / quirky outside. Just my personal opinion though.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mine is white with red roof. Much admired by friends as well. The only thing that irritates me is the gloss black area surrounding the drive dial. It reflects the light too much and I see it in the corner of my eye. I will have to cover it with a matt black cloth.

Black or white were my first and second only real preferences. But as my wife's Lexus UX is black and the previous MG EV was an excessively unrelieved white. So; at her behest, and never having had a black car, on to pastures new.

As it's not actually a Tesla. It has been interesting to see family and friends rearranging their initial positions and perspectives on this car. At first there occurs, seemingly, a small spontaneous point of some marginal consternation.

This followed shortly by a more or less well suppressed amount of involuntary humour. However; once one of the more sensible younger female family members pointed out that 'its just a big mini'. Everyone seems to have settled for that.

One curious aspect of this process, which I did not anticipate. Were those few who really liked the looks of the MG. Feeling thereby, sufficiently motivated to commiserate that I'd had to 'downgrade' to a KIA?

With regard to refelections. I'm more annoyed by the white charging indicator strip which shows in the middle of the front windscreen. Which, I plan to fix, at source, with some transparent window tint film.

Rather than keeping a loose cloth near moderately critical real-time driving controls. I've been looking at a matt black version of this readily available:- "3M 1080 vinyl wrap". Which may well be a better option?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
83 Posts
Rather than keeping a loose cloth near moderately critical real-time driving controls. I've been looking at a matt black version of this readily available:- "3M 1080 vinyl wrap". Which may well be a better option?
I have some EPDM pond liner - matt black and totally UV safe. I will have a go at cutting holes in a bit so that the controls all are fully useable. Also going to make some rubber mats for the floor from the same material. That charging strip will also get a cover.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have some EPDM pond liner - - - Also going to make some rubber mats for the floor from the same material. That charging strip will also get a cover.
By way of a solution to the reflection challenge: EDPM is probably some 10 times thicker than is required. As for the remainder of its physical properties I'll settle on some conjecture and a little speculation...

No doubt because of that over large guage it may be less less manageably compliant than is actually necessary for this particular task.

It will likely be far less conformant over even simple curved sufaces and still reqiure a separate adhesive which will likely be difficult to adjust for a close fit and subsequently to remove, it may crease quite randomly and possibly also trap air bubbles to boot.

The inwxpensive 3M 1080 is devoid of all those problem areas and could be worth the time and attention of some closer examination?

EDPM is possibly an excellent material for overlying floor carpet mats as protectors using some reinforcement at the same set of fixing locks. Though it may also require a bit of an edging over border and the odd smidgeon here and there of good old Gorilla tape to keep it in place?.

Having only just made a raised lip lower boot floor liner from a somwhat stiffer and more solid material. I'm very interested in how you find working this materail into these shapes.

Good luck with both objectives and please do upate us with your progress.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
What did you not like about the e-Niro?
Having ruled out a Hyundai prior to placing our order for a KIA and without any actual experience with the new Soul. Our decision making test drive was in the dealerships e-Niro demonstrator. My own view of it was a close match to biogoo's.

I was left thinking, what's not to like, except perhaps it's slightly staid appearance is a touch too mundane and maybe it's a tad too large for what we need now? Quite possibly a decade ago it would have been just the right car; and the Mrs agreed.

So if it's mostly about the real world usage case with perhaps the odd few intangibles and an allowance for styling preference included just for good measure. Then, by dint of much research. Fortunately, we made the right sized, right shaped decision at the right time for us.

On balance though, more of a pro Soul than con e-Niro choice. 🖖

·
Registered
26 Posts
I'm with Logician and Biogoo.

Often reviewers will claim A is better than B because of X without considering individual requirements. A bigger boot is only better for those who carry a lot of stuff. In our circumstances the kids have long left home and for two people the boot is more than ample for any trip so we prefer the Soul which is 7 inches shorter, and therefore easier to park, plus feels more spacious in the back for the occasional ferrying of family to and from the station.

I had the e-niro on a 48 hour test drive and was impressed with the drivetrain. But as biogoo says it is a bit generic and could be any old family SUV to look at. The Soul is a bit freaky so I flew to Dublin (they had loads with a one week delivery available) in December for a test drive and closer look just to make sure before placing a deposit.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
In the event of an accident helps insurance claim with video evidence of who was at fault. Rear cam will catch any idiot on phone rolling/driving into you. The cameras have proven I was not at fault twice in 3 years. On both occasions the other driver swore I was at fault to their insurance company, my video evidence proved otherwise.
I can see the advantages of the cameras now you point them out. But like the other one or two altercations over the past 40 odd years. They were pretty clean cut. Back then cameras weren't available or seemingly necessary.

My last one was being rear ended when stopped at traffic lights. You are correct though, the guy did attempt to pursuede the insurance folk it was my fault. Perhaps even claiming I'd reversed into him at 20 plus MpH? Who knows?. Didn't need a camera for that one to be settled in my favour though.

Thanks anyway, With a newer and more expensive car. I may well look further into this...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts