Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found this while wandering around: https://barnet.moderngov.co.uk/documents/s24398/Electric Vehicle Charge Points.pdf

Interesting bits to read, including costs and restrictions, like:

5.2.7 In order to maximise the investment into EVCPs, it is proposed that parking in all parking bays covered by charging stations is limited to a maximum of 1 hour and 30 minutes. This would also encourage parking turnaround and help the traders at the above four town centres. After consultation with the Parking Team, it was agreed that the pay and display charges in all parking bays will remain in place.

5.2.8 It is proposed that the above EVCPs would be used initially free of charge. The Council will pay for the energy used through the Street Lighting electricity account. This is so that the use of electric vehicles is encouraged which in turn would bring additional environmental benefits to the Council. This is also in line with a lot of redacted Boroughs offering their residents free use of EVCPs. All the EVCPs will be equipped with a 3G modem to enable communications with a highly sophisticated back office of the Source redacted Scheme. In addition, the hardware and software facilities will enable a “Pay as You Go” system, which can be adopted in the future.

5.2.9 Bluepoint will be compensating the Council for the exclusive usage of the charging stations and the loss of eight parking bays. This payment is £400 per year for the on street bays and £200 per year for the off street bays. This makes a total revenue of £2,400.00 per year. In addition, any on-going maintenance of the EVCPs would be provided by Bluepoint under the Source redacted Scheme, free of charge.
Can't quite reconcile the retention of paid bays and Bluepoint paying for them and the 1 1/2 hours seems quite short. Interesting about which budget the electricity is coming from...

·
Registered
499 Posts
Reading the rest of the document it appears that the Council has fallen into the trap of believing a 7KW post can charge ALL EVs from 20% to 80% in 1 hour 30 minutes. :(
However the Lodge Lane location could be handy for me for a bit of Sunday shopping whilst topping up. :)

·
Registered
44 Posts
I got a parking fine for trying to charge my car in Lodge Lane. While I was busy at the ticket station trying to pay for parking, a warden fined me for not displaying a disabled badge. I appealed, that was rejected, now doing a formal representation.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Interesting observation: all of the Source London chargepoints paid for by London Borough of Barnet are currently offline. Not sure if that's through technical faults, or confusion about whether the bays are charging bays and what the terms are for parking and charging in them. None of them are yet marked as EV charging bays. One of them (High Road, East Finchley) still hasn't been switched on after being installed over 5 months ago.

·
Registered
9 Posts
They have been offline for over month now. I wrote to Source London who said they are waiting for parts from the charge point manufacturer.. which I do not believe as they are made by the same parent company as Source London. They is something going on.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
They have been offline for over month now. I wrote to Source London who said they are waiting for parts from the charge point manufacturer.. which I do not believe as they are made by the same parent company as Source London. They is something going on.
I reckon there's some bizarre contractual stand-off between London Borough of Barnet and Source London, given that Barnet still haven't done the appropriate legal notifications about changing the use of the bays, or any signage or bay markings; and the fact that some drivers have actually been fined for parking and charging in the charging bays.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Perhaps someone in Barnet Council has the nouse to raise the issue of the implied but unstated intention of Bollaire / Bluewhatever to occupy every charge point they install with one of their own rental EVs and so deny everyone else access.

I am being a little over-cynical I admit and could be called paranoid, but if a company publicly states "6,000 spaces, 6,000 rental EVs" in a release (last year) and also make pre-reservation of charge points on of the features of the network then perhaps using public money and/or non-commercial rate/free spaces handed over then there is something dodgy going on.

* I can now only find references to 3,000 cars and 6,000 points, but it's still a very high number. Given then your hire period will probably only end once the car is back on a charger, a bit like the Boris Bikes...

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Drove past the Temple Fortune points this morning and there were two vans and few workmen moving pavement around the distribution panel near the points. No idea if this is good or bad. No sign of new signage yet.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Went past the chargers in East Finchley this weekend and there was a car charging!! Green light on the charging post. Never used them myself but assume this means working? Might have to get a source London card now!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
The Mill Hill car park on Bunns Lane charge points are still covered with bags, despite previously working fine. And iced. No markings.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
The Mill Hill car park on Bunns Lane charge points are still covered with bags, despite previously working fine. And iced. No markings.
No specific markings in East Finchley. In fact one is by the disabled bay so if bet you'd get a ticket trying to use it unless you had a blue badge as well.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As of today the bays on Temple Fortune are on and sign-posted. A brief chat with a warden on a moped seemed to indicate that they may not yet be enforced mostly because he didn't know about them...

VIRB0030.JPG
VIRB0029.JPG
VIRB0028.JPG

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Again, unclear whether it's a parking space - and pay-and-display / pay-by-phone charges apply, or a charging space, in which case Source London's terms apply - given that Barnet seem to have listened to some of us who pointed out that their original idea of 1.5 hours max stay was ridiculous.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
They've marked the bays in Lodge Lane car park, North Finchley, put up signs and the chargers are switched back on. This confirms my hypothesis that Source London disabled the chargers because they heard that Barnet's outsourced parking attendants had been ticketing users because Barnet's outsourced street works team hadn't marked the bays properly, because another outsourced contractor weren't aware they needed changing. Welcome to EasyCouncil, the council that likes to do as little as humanly possible.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It is good that the chargers are back online, and also that Source London and Camden have reached agreement and are immediately installing 6 new ones

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It is good that the chargers are back online, and also that Source London and Camden have reached agreement and are immediately installing 6 new ones
Replacing four working chargers and two broken ones with six different chargers.
(None of the current Camden locations being renovated are new locations), but existing locations. The Barnet issue was that Barnet Council had no idea how to go about offering public charging infrastructure - they had never done it before, and didn't know how it would relate to their outsourced parking and street works teams, and it took over seven months to get installed chargers properly commissioned.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They've marked the bays in Lodge Lane car park, North Finchley, put up signs and the chargers are switched back on. This confirms my hypothesis that Source redacted disabled the chargers because they heard that Barnet's outsourced parking attendants had been ticketing users because Barnet's outsourced street works team hadn't marked the bays properly, because another outsourced contractor weren't aware they needed changing. Welcome to EasyCouncil, the council that likes to do as little as humanly possible.
Quite. Any official indication, either way, that charging incurs parking charges or is it free?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just noticed on the Source London site that they have announced the next 6 locations for the new charge points in Camden, namely Mill Lane / Belsize Place / Fairhazel Gardens / John Street / Netherwood Street / South End Road. Things seem to be moving quicker.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts