Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
All correct, yes I have been through a winter and dressed accordingly and the car was ok and made it to work every time and I used the heater sparingly but I have now done 35,000 miles in 18 months and with the discharge/re-charge twice daily, the battery is deteriorating and I have noticed already on the cold mornings that I am not getting the range that I had last year but I will try the heating up with a PTC heater for 10 mins before I leave and see how we go but I have also ordered some thermal long johns and tops :)

Thanks for the help/advise.
Do you have any Canion Readings of the battery voltages as the car discharges?

DBMandrakes posts are a very useful resource as to what to look for if you suspect a couple of weak cells are dragging down what the battery pack can deliver.

By the way, the idea of a 400watt ptc heater powered from a rechargeable battery is not completely bonkers but if it is because you are interested in demisting / deicing, it will need a certain level of integration with the existing HVAC system to have any effectiveness.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I have now done 35,000 miles in 18 months and with the discharge/re-charge twice daily, the battery is deteriorating
I think the bottom line is you need to be prepared to spend more money on your motoring. Don't throw more money at a solution for this car when it's deteriorating under the strain of this duty cycle - sell the car to someone whose needs it better suits, and get yourself a more capable EV. This is going to mean spending some of that £400/month you've been saving. Wouldn't you get a few grand for it? Even if you've no capital getting into a used Leaf for £7k may mean a £4k loan, so £100-odd a month over 3 years, not the end of the world surely?

·
Registered
459 Posts
Hi, i had an i-miev and it had a heated drivers seat. It got really nice and warm! It meant you didnt need the main heater on if you were the only person in the car, i.e. commuting. Shame the ions dont have this but worth looking for one from a salvage i-miev.

Your range seems concerning tho, you are going 42 miles and it needs a full recharge?!? Thats not quite right, may be battery issues.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Hi, i had an i-miev and it had a heated drivers seat. It got really nice and warm! It meant you didnt need the main heater on if you were the only person in the car, i.e. commuting. Shame the ions dont have this but worth looking for one from a salvage i-miev.

Your range seems concerning tho, you are going 42 miles and it needs a full recharge?!? Thats not quite right, may be battery issues.

Cheers.
Pretty sure the OP has already confirmed he has a seat heater, in his Citroen clone

So the demisting requirement must be the critical heating load.

I think the OP has already hinted that there might be a traction battery problem too.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Pretty sure the OP has already confirmed he has a seat heater, in his Citroen clone

So the demisting requirement must be the critical heating load.

I think the OP has already hinted that there might be a traction battery problem too.
Just an idea but the demisting and heating go hand in hand. A small dehumidifier will draw around 250w and will provide more heat output than the energy input from the batteries (not by much) and will remove moisture to help with the demisting. The downside would be that a decent compressor based one will run on 240v so you would need an inverter (pure sinewave) which would add to the losses. Although the losses will be in the form of heat so perhaps not so bad. If the humidity can be kept down to stop demisting then the requirment for ventilation with outside cold air is reduced. Don't expect to be toasty warm with somehere around 300w of heat though.

Have you also tried those bags with silica gel? Beware of fakes ones that have a window of silica gel but the rest is filled with the cheaper other stuff that I've forgotten what its called. You can get a big bag of silica gel in the form of kitty litter at a reasonable price. The silica gel will release heat as it adsorbs moisture but a trivial amount compared to what is needed to heat a car.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I have found with EVs that condensation/damp inside is more of an issue than an ICE car. I guess this is because there is so much waste heat ICE cars tend to dry out more with usage and tend to have the heater on all the time because you can. You could try sticking a fan heater in it on a low setting (somewhere where it is secure from falling over, naturally), crack a window open half an inch and get the car nice and warm. You may well find that the car has got a bit damp inside and needs a good drying out.

I bought an EV earlier this year, it had been sat for a while and was a bit damp inside - it took a few warm summer days with the window open slightly to get it dried out.

Thanks,

Gary.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I wonder if you could install a very small storage heater. The one in my bathroom is 13" wide, about 27" high and 6" thick. Maybe build a frame in passenger footwell to attach it to?

·
Registered
254 Posts
You are not by any chance one on the hundreds of thousands of home owners in the UK that have a garage that is not used because it full of "stuff"? That would make a big difference, or do you have space to build a cheap one?

·
Registered
704 Posts
It's a bit low tech but what about multiple hot water bottles. If you're going to and from work, then filling up on hot water at either end should be fairly straight forward. I used to do this trick when I had my Leaf 24 and needed extra range. The warmth lasted a good hour which was more than enough. I only ever needed one hot water bottle but no reason why you couldn't get more.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Here's an odd one regarding the Fluence EV. Mine does not have heated seats, but the ICE Fluence does!

Also, has folding mirrors I notice from the manual online. I wonder if they want to discourage people from just using the seat heat, so that the car gets properly heated?

21 - 34 of 34 Posts