Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question regarding fuel consumption:

I do 20-30 highway miles daily (in GTE mode), and also some city driving in EV mode. Usually when i am off of highway, i get into city and then 15 minutes later i am home. What i am curious is which option is more fuel efficient (I don't have home charger):

1. Drive in such a way that battery is almost empty when i am back home, but enough for the next day to drive in EV mode until highway. That means that next day i hit the highway when the battery is pretty much empty, and during next 20-30 miles it recharges back to 15 or so automatically. Obviously this consumes extra petrol.
2. Drive in such a way that leave substantial amount of charge in the battery and next day, when hitting the highway, I have like 10 miles which means it's no longer recharging and thus saving fuel on recharge. This means i might have to drive partially on petrol in city.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
If you are not actually charging via mains, does it make much difference. What is different is if you want emmissions in the countryside or urban. Can you jot find some charging structure?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,123 Posts
Definitely get a home charger if at all possible.

If you are only driving on petrol, try Hybrid mode instead of GTE for better mpg. But you are defeating the purpose of the car.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Definitely get a home charger if at all possible.

If you are only driving on petrol, try Hybrid mode instead of GTE for better mpg. But you are defeating the purpose of the car.
So i am still charging at least once a day at work, and considering I drive around 40-50 miles a day total, does it really defeat the purpose of the car? I know it's not ideal but I didn't think it's that bad. It's my company car for which I don't pay, and they will not install the home charger.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,818 Posts
So i am still charging at least once a day at work, and considering I drive around 40-50 miles a day total, does it really defeat the purpose of the car? I know it's not ideal but I didn't think it's that bad. It's my company car for which I don't pay, and they will not install the home charger.
As @TomH said avoid GTE mode.

But in order for us to give you better advice you need to provide better description of your drive.

So my simple advice will be:
  • charge the car fully any time you can;
  • drive in town in EV mode;
  • motorway or anything at high speed should be done in hybrid;
  • plan your drive in such a way that you get back to your charge point with as little EV miles left as possible.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,477 Posts
When you leave work use Hybrid mode ( the HV battery will be above 1/2 full, right ? )
That is most economical for the faster miles, then go to EV mode for the last few km home
Plan so it leaves you probably with at least 7km+ in the HV battery for pre-heating the following morning.

Then in the morning Hybrid again ( or GTE mode to make you smile ) followed by EV Mode to arrive the work location with about 0-1 km left in the HV battery.
Charge it back up, and repeat. If it's chuffing cold in the day time also set a timer to preheat for your drive home.

All the time the engine isn't running, you are making the most of the car. (including 100kph downhill highways)
All the time you've got in to a warm car with clear defrosted windows, you are making the most of the car.
All the time you get to ZOOOOOOM past people when in GTE mode, you are indeed making the most of the car.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Do you have drive to charge using a granny lead or are you in a flat / house with no parking close to your mains power?

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,123 Posts
Sorry I read your post as meaning that you never charged the car.

All the advice above is good.

Enjoy the car!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you guys for tips! So essentially using car in town in EV mode is more beneficial than not auto-charging on highway when battery is low.

I do like to use GTE mode on highway due to how sturdy the steering wheel feels and it's also more fun. So it's not just about economy, but I am still trying to save somewhere when possible.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Unless you're driving into somewhere that requires you to run Electrically, don't use the petrol engine to recharge the car. Its a really uneconomical use of fuel. You're essentially making your car operate like a Prius. I have a leased GTE and I paid to have the chargepoint installed whilst there are grants available - not charging because someone else pays for your car isn't a good enough excuse - it just tells me you got the car for the tax breaks....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Unless you're driving into somewhere that requires you to run Electrically, don't use the petrol engine to recharge the car. Its a really uneconomical use of fuel. You're essentially making your car operate like a Prius. I have a leased GTE and I paid to have the chargepoint installed whilst there are grants available - not charging because someone else pays for your car isn't a good enough excuse - it just tells me you got the car for the tax breaks....
Yeah but this car, especially in winter, has quite a low EV mileage. Any time it's under 15km in GTE mode, or under 12km in hybrid mode, it will start recharging. This essentially means that you always have to get into car with full battery which is just not feasible often.

Regarding tax benefits, i am not from UK, i don't get some big tax discount. Here in the Netherlands the discount I get for owning GTE is very minor compare to non-hybrid. I did ask my company to install the home charger and they did not want to do that. So, yes I am not going to pay 500+ Eur from my own pocket to install the charger, as well as re-wire my home electricity because i have quite a weak powerline at home.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
Not even! A Prius has a HSD drivetrain which means it's quite efficient for it to recharge the battery via the engine (and in any case it generally avoids doing this anyway, but far too complex to explain right now.) Prius and GTE are quite different cars: GTE is a parallel hybrid, a very fun and sporty car which is a bit more efficient and if driven on pure electric is very fun. Prius is a series-parallel hybrid, with twin motor/generator set and infinite ratio e-CVT drive. Which makes it less fun to drive, but much more efficient on pure petrol than the GTE.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,477 Posts
If you drive a GTE in hybrid mode when the GOM says 0-3 range and watch the instant mpg along a regular road you drive for a couple of flat steady miles.
Then another time do it when the HV battery is over a third full. Again see the value

To complete the picture do it in battery charge mode. (Sub 25mpg ?!?!

I came from a Toyota HSD car to my GTE and it took me ages to re learn how to do the last mile home on just electrons when in Hybrid mode . In the Toyota it had been easy but it took me a while to get the VW drivetrain setup working in my favour. The trick in the end was to have the VW engine warmed up (as it was in the Toyota) and to have had the GOM with some miles in it.

That’s why also per the above from Tom66 the Toyota was better long distance at getting 60+mpg but then it does not have the GTE mode button nor the refinement and other VW quality. Yes you can get a 4seat plug in Prius but it looks awful and the new v8 Golf GTE will have better EVmode range.
I still think VW should do a none GTE button Golf PHEV with less flash and lower price.

Reactions: TomH

·
Registered
2017 Golf GTE
2,123 Posts
If you drive a GTE in hybrid mode when the GOM says 0-3 range and watch the instant mpg along a regular road you drive for a couple of flat steady miles.
Then another time do it when the HV battery is over a third full. Again see the value

To complete the picture do it in battery charge mode. (Sub 25mpg ?!?!

I came from a Toyota HSD car to my GTE and it took me ages to re learn how to do the last mile home on just electrons when in Hybrid mode . In the Toyota it had been easy but it took me a while to get the VW drivetrain setup working in my favour. The trick in the end was to have the VW engine warmed up (as it was in the Toyota) and to have had the GOM with some miles in it.

That’s why also per the above from Tom66 the Toyota was better long distance at getting 60+mpg but then it does not have the GTE mode button nor the refinement and other VW quality. Yes you can get a 4seat plug in Prius but it looks awful and the new v8 Golf GTE will have better EVmode range.
I still think VW should do a none GTE button Golf PHEV with less flash and lower price.
Apparently they plan to do the less flash Golf PHEV but not sell it in UK.

Crying shame!

·
Registered
BMW 300e 2020 model and Leaf 40kW 2019 model
287 Posts
Of course you consume less petrol than in an ordinary ICE, so it does not defeat it's purpose, but you should get the best fuel efficiency if you drive all electric as long as possible and after that in hybrid mode. I guess even the VW applies some recuperation and uses that electric power when you slow down. Other than that, even if you think installing a wall box is too expensive for you, you could actually use the brick charger which I guess came with your car, and could charge over night at home, assuming your wall socket can handle the charger. But of course, that assumes you have access to electric power at home, near the car. Don't use extension cord.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts