Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This came to mind because I'd set pre-conditioning for a 12 noon departure, then abandoned the planned trip due to the local snow fall, and anticipated worse conditions at my destination, further North and higher in the Peak District.
I left the preconditioning on 'just to see what happened'. Going to the car at ten to twelve I heard the air fan roaring away, but realised it was probably made ineffective by the bank of drifted snow at the base of the windscreen.
The thought then struck me that during cold conditions (snow or not) it might be better to set the air flow controls to 'recirculation' everytime I leave the vehicle. This should use less energy to reach the required temperature.
I also have in mind to increase the temperature setting a couple of degrees as part of 'closing down' the car, the resulting higher temperature compensating for me being slightly chilled by 'messing about' with the charge cable before getting in the car.
I would expect to drop the temperature again, and switch off recirculation, early in the next journey.

Thoughts?
Does anyone else do either of these actions already?
I don't use the car every day, expecting to do 200 miles in the first two weeks, so I'm still developing a Standard Operating Procedure.

Regards.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I'm not sure this will work. The air recirculation system has an override if I am not mistaken. If you turn it to manual whilst driving, I thought it reset itself automatically after a predetermined time. I would be surprised if turning the car off and locking / unlocking it didn't also reset it. Willing to be proved wrong on that one though.

One thing that really bugs me about the app, is not being able to set the temperature as part of the departure routine. At certain times of the year, I will have the a/c on low when coming home and want a more reasonable temp when leaving in the morning. It's way too easy to forget to do it at my age :oops:

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not sure this will work. The air recirculation system has an override if I am not mistaken. ... I would be surprised if turning the car off and locking / unlocking it didn't also reset it. Willing to be proved wrong on that one though.
You may be correct, and part of the reason for posting was to hear the ideas of others. I hadn't considered the system reverting to a default setting when the car was switched off.

Regarding the ability to set the temperature via the app, it has crossed my mind that the BMW Wallbox might have extra facilities like that; the snag is BMW is so full of how clever they are that a plain English and easily accessible listing of what it will and won't do is not considered desirable.

I'll do some experimenting next week and give an update.

Regards.

·
9,719 Posts
Generally speaking if you run recirculate your going to end up with wet air in the cabin - due to the fancy and unique accumulator dryer in the i3.

You really should just leave it do its thing, the precondition cycle has been optimised to within an inch of its life.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The precondition aims for 22c regardless.
Generally speaking if you run recirculate your going to end up with wet air in the cabin - due to the fancy and unique accumulator dryer in the i3.

You really should just leave it do its thing, the precondition cycle has been optimised to within an inch of its life.
We don't know that until we ask, but thank you anyway.

Regards.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
26,362 Posts
I tried this with the Ampera with the intention of drying the air out (objective to reduce misting). The theory being that if the same cabin air was being recirculated over and over then it'd dry the air out.

...It didn't....

It might work better with a heat pump because heat pumps recycle heat from the dash evaporator to the condenser heater.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
We now have to consider the changes in specification that might have happened over time.
The clearest example is headlights.
60 and 94Ah models without the optional LED headlights had the halogen headlights manually adjustable via a wheel control in the cabin.
With LED headlights, either dipped beam as an option, or standard fit with an LCI, any height adjustment is automatic, there is no manual 'vehicle load compensation'.

I suspect the same might be true about pre-conditioning. I have only owned a LCI model, and this will pre-condition to the temperature set on the dial before I left the car, whether it's 18 or 28. Yes, I thought it worth 30 mins of mains electric to check the 28 setting!!

Those whose main experience is with earlier models may have found different results with those models.

As regards the air flow control setting, setting to manual recirculation does not survive when the car is switched off. Under test, when the car was switched back on, the lights initially showed 'Manual', but within 5 seconds this changed to 'Automatic'.
Automatic means generally air is drawn from outside, unless pollutants are detected, when it will automatically switch to recirculation, probably limited to the standard 8 minutes.
(Note that whiIe I recall the '8 minutes' timing, I cannot now see confirmation of any set time duration in the Owners Handbook, it merely refers to swictching off 'after a delay').

Regards.

·
9,719 Posts
I suspect the same might be true about pre-conditioning. I have only owned a LCI model, and this will pre-condition to the temperature set on the dial before I left the car, whether it's 18 or 28. Yes, I thought it worth 30 mins of mains electric to check the 28 setting!!
This has never been the case what you think it does vs what it is programmed to do. The i3 precondition cycle has always and continues to be a target temp of 22c with a battery target temp of 10c. There is a small temp bias based on your current set temp, but its only small in make experience 2-3c under or over shoot.

The only vehicle in the range that does allow remote temp set is the 7 series.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
The only vehicle in the range that does allow remote temp set is the 7 series.
We're not talking remote setting of the temperature here just to clarify. We are saying that the temperature of the cabin is determined by the last setting left on the climate at switch off. It's interesting what you say but it isn't born out in practice. If I have the climate control and AC on 16c when I switch off, the car does not warm the cabin to 22c or anywhere near it. Similarly as described by @Davidss above, setting it to 28c results in the climate heater working flat out to achieve that temperature. It might not manage either due to the restrictions around capacity and ambient temperature but it sure tries it hardest.

You have me questioning my own memory and logic now though so I'm going to try to test it today.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts