Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 108 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've got a Tesla Model 3 and my wife has a Citroen C3.

Now I've been mulling over this for a few years what we should get for her next car.

We obviously want to go EV after seeing the massive difference in running costs since I switched from a BMW 330e. But the reason we haven't done it yet and probably can't even right now either is that getting an acceptable range under around £25,000 even on the second-hand market is very difficult.

I think the only thing that comes close is probably the Renault Zoe and she doesn't like that, I think she would like something bigger.

We're moving to somewhere that's around 100 miles (mostly motorway miles) from her parents so we really need something that can very comfortably do the 200-mile round trip in the winter.

Even my SR+ Model 3 could struggle to do that in the winter without stopping but the added security of the supercharger network, if needed, would make that a good choice (if it was about £15k-£20k cheaper).

I have even started this morning only considering looking at plug-in hybrids :eek:

Would rather not go down that route but if it ends up saving money for a few more years while we wait for something like Tesla Model A or maybe a second-hand Hyundai Ioniq 5 to come down in price perhaps that could be a solution?

I suppose the ID3 could be a decent option on the second-hand market in a year or so but it's a little small and the interface, touch-sensitive buttons, and stuff are a bit off-putting, sorry ID owners.

Any suggestions?:)

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro MY20 64 kWh - Gravity Blue
819 Posts
I don't think an ID3 is smaller than a C3 so maybe you'd have to look at it a bit closer. The interface, you may be right.

I would say a Kona would suit you nicely. It's one of the most efficient cars out there, will surely do the 200 miles round trip in winter, has a very good infotainment system with physical controls for all the standard operations and it's not too big, I've seen some on Autotrader for less than 25k with low mileage.

·
Registered
4,633 Posts
Might be an idea to try one of the short term lease companies, so you can have a car for a month or two at a time and see how you get on with it. The Zoe is certainly very impressive for the price, and not really that small, and the others my wife looked at, the Peugeot e-208 and the Corsa-e were probably a little bigger and pretty much as capable. There are a fair few short term leasing companies around, and some here have experience of them, so, although they are not that cheap, they may be a way of getting a valuable impression as to how well any particular car fits into your day-to-day life.

We were planning to do exactly this earlier this year, when my wife couldn't make up her mind. IN the end, the car she liked least from photos and videos, the Zoe, was the one she looked at in the flesh and just decided to buy, there and then.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A curveball: pay to a have an EV charger installed at your in-law's house, then buy an EV with a solid 100 mile winter range.
That's maybe not a bad idea :unsure::LOL:

Thanks for to everyone else who replied.

I think she generally like the PSA group cars so would consider the e208 for example if it had a better range but I think in the winter it drops well below the 200 mark, doesn't it?

But part of the reason we're sort of discounting things like the Corsa-e, Zoe, ID3 is she likes to have a high up seating position and the Citron C3 is higher than you might think, so unfortunately she may be gravitating (like 70% of the rest of the population) towards the SUV type of realm.

That's why I have considered the Kona but I've not found a good price for the higher range version yet (actually having another look there is one that is under £25,000, I still would like to pay less though ideally but currently it's probably the front runner)

I should have probably mentioned my budget is closer to £20,000 really

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,728 Posts
I think she generally like the PSA group cars so would consider the e208 for example if it had a better range but I think in the winter it drops well below the 200 mark, doesn't it?
Go for the Zoe if want the range. Zoe should get close if driven carefully on a cold day. e208 will always need a charge.

Get her to try the Zoe as it does have an elevated driving position.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go for the Zoe if want the range. Zoe should get close if driven carefully on a cold day. e208 will always need a charge.

Get her to try the Zoe as it does have an elevated driving position.
Well I did actually have a Zoe for a week.

Remember when Polar were doing competitions to win an EV for a week, I went for the Zoe (this was back when I had the BMW and the Model 3 was on order. And she was like "I'm not getting one of them" I don't know why but she's just not keen on it.

I liked it but it's not going to be my car.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Which is odd as my wife wouldn't have anything else.

Did she get to look at the ZE50?
I think it's probably similar enough that she won't change her mind, but I'll try, the Zoe certainly does seem to be the best value-per mile of range option out there

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
22,728 Posts
I think it's probably similar enough that she won't change her mind, but I'll try, the Zoe certainly does seem to be the best value-per mile of range option out there
It's very different to the previous cars.

Having driven the Kona, it feels better in many respects. Same internal size. The Kona has more range for the bigger battery car of course.

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
That's too long for her I'm afraid, too big, she even thinks the Model 3 is too long, won't drive it.
Too bad, as an MG 5 hits your range and price requirements.

Maybe it isn't as big as you think. Your Model 3 is longer then the MG5.

MG 5 is 4544mm long.
Tesla Model 3 is 4694mm long.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Too bad, as an MG 5 hits your range and price requirements.

Maybe it isn't as big as you think. Your Model 3 is longer then the MG5.

MG 5 is 4544mm long.
Tesla Model 3 is 4694mm long.
Yeah I looked that up and that shocked me.

It's an estate, it looks really long but somehow....it isn't.

Strange, but I have to say the laggy interface the boring styling, I'm sorry I can't see her going for that, it looks outdated already I imagine it would lose value quicker than most.

Interesting idea but I think probably not for us.

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
The Zoe certainly does seem to be the best value-per mile of range option out there

In pure terms of £ per mile of advertised range, the MG 5 is the comes out on top.

I can see the balance tipping towards Zoe if you include more than just range.

·
Super Moderator
11,954 Posts
It's an estate, it looks really long but somehow....it isn't.
Its the styling. If you saw one in person. . .

The one that shocked me was an Outlander. I was driving a LEAF at the time and the Outlander had the same turning circle and pretty much parked the same as our LEAF. Drove about the same too.

Sort of points out how mediocre the LEAF 30 was.

I haven't driven the MG5 yet, but it is on my to-do list. I think we are going to book test drives for an MG-5 and MX-30 early next month. (local dealer has both cars)

The MX-30 is really nice and not too expensive. Your wife would like it. But range is 120 miles or less. Debbie is thinking about getting once since she does not need more than 100 miles range.

She might also like an i3. MSRP for a new one is absurd but BMW sometimes offers huge discounts.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
655 Posts
Small 45KWh battery ID3, charges faster than a Zoe, 12 min stop and you should add enough range to hit 200 miles, personally I prefer the Zoe handling to the ID3 but its a slightly bigger car although the boot doesn't look much bigger with seats up, didn't measure it though.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Its the styling. If you saw one in person. . .

The one that shocked me was an Outlander. I was driving a LEAF at the time and the Outlander had the same turning circle and pretty much parked the same as our LEAF. Drove about the same too.

Sort of points out how mediocre the LEAF 30 was.

I haven't driven the MG5 yet, but it is on my to-do list. I think we are going to book test drives for an MG-5 and MX-30 early next month. (local dealer has both cars)

The MX-30 is really nice and not too expensive. Your wife would like it. But range is 120 miles or less. Debbie is thinking about getting once since she does not need more than 100 miles range.

She might also like an i3. MSRP for a new one is absurd but BMW sometimes offers huge discounts.
I love Mazdas but the range is so disappointing.

I feel when you buy a car you've got to look to the future a little bit and having a car that can only do about 100 miles in winter, if you're lucky is going to seem very pitiful in 4 or 5 years time when most people will be whizzing around in 300+ range cars or at least buying one as their next car.

The MX-30 looks under-ranged now, in a few years time, I doubt many will give it a second look, unfortunately, really hurting it's resaleability.

1 - 20 of 108 Posts