Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking into buying a kettle that can plug into the 12v cigarrete lighter for charging stops in the cold for my Leaf, and more so for my I-Miev which I don't use heating for. As well as a hot cuppa, I might even have the occasional Pot Noodle.

What are others using? There seems to be some iffy cheapo ones around, but maybe one or two good cheapo ones?

At the moment am leaning towards https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lakeland-Travel-Beakers-Divided-Container/dp/B00C70450M/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&qid=1521985550&sr=8-6&keywords=travel+kettle+12v

Which is £26.99 and a bit more than I would like to spend, but good reviews.

·
Banned
1,827 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Duncan oops, yeah it came up in my search, didn't pay enough attention to that. Could post a link to something else, but really look for any recommendations from people who have bought a ciggie lighter plugin kettle.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,587 Posts
You need to be careful the EV batteries don't appear to be that big probably because they don't need to cope with the load of a starter motor.

·
Registered
5,755 Posts
A couple of quality thermos flasks might be the easiest answer.

I looked at a halfords one and on 12v it takes 18 minutes to boil the water. Utter waste of time.

One of these camping stoves takes 5 minutes. Camp'Bistro 2 Portable Gas Stove

Plus you can heat other things on it too.

·
Registered
77 Posts
The Waeco brand is popular with truck drivers, although they use 24v rather than 12v...
Waeco Kettle | Mobitherm Deluxe Car Travel Kettle | 12v
They are more expensive, but I too have had some melting issues with a cheap kettle in the past. (I replaced it with one of those elements that you dangle in your mug, which seemed ok for 'emergency' use)

Do you already have a tartan blanket?

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Can you stick the little element inside your jacket to make an electric coat?

I particularly like that the kettle you listed has a desk mount, I didn’t see the desk option in the Tesla lists will have to look into that.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Can you stick the little element inside your jacket to make an electric coat?

I particularly like that the kettle you listed has a desk mount, I didn’t see the desk option in the Tesla lists will have to look into that.
The e-NV200 bests Tesla: from the brochure
"The cabin can be your mobile office, giving you the space, storage, convenience and connectivity you need. Fold down the front passenger seat to make a desk so you can take care of the paperwork before you head to your next job."
Features Nissan e-NV200 - Electric Van | Nissan

I don't think the element-in-coat would be very practical, as it is rather bulky

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Oh, I think I need to get one of those! I bought a VW transporter a couple of years ago rather opportunistic;y for a few hundred quid and having a van as a plaything is a bit like having a shed. You don’t know what you can do with it until you have one!

I do however realise I won’t be getting one of those for £200, have they launched 40kW yet?

Will look for smaller element for the coat idea, I can’t help but think that idea has legs.

·
Registered
11,772 Posts
Oh, I think I need to get one of those! I bought a VW transporter a couple of years ago rather opportunistic;y for a few hundred quid and having a van as a plaything is a bit like having a shed. You don’t know what you can do with it until you have one!

I do however realise I won’t be getting one of those for £200, have they launched 40kW yet?

Will look for smaller element for the coat idea, I can’t help but think that idea has legs.
Like this you mean?

ELECTRICALLY BUCKLED HEATED JACKET NAVY HEATS UP TO 45C FOR 2HOURS https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0068L2FVW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_29hWAbQCP9WVV

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,664 Posts
Is it just me or is there something about this thread that questions the viability of EVs needing charge stops?

·
Registered
371 Posts
Well, I never thought I would find myself writing an online review for a car kettle, but here goes. I've owned one for years and used it on road trips to southern Spain/Germany in my pre-EV days. I find it very useful for a quick porridge in the queue for the 4am ferry when barely anything is open etc. and quicker to get my girlfriend out the door in the morning if she can make a coffee wherever we stop.

I use this one:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Uniox-Electric-Cigarette-Insulated-Stainless/dp/B00H4OYIRQ

It's sold under many different brands but they're all the same. It's more flask than kettle. I'm sure you'll find somewhere selling it.

Pros:
  • When the lid is on it's sealed - no risk of leaking hot water either on the move or stationary.
  • There's a switch at the bottom to change between 8A or 10A power, so if you're not confident in the socket output you can reduce the power it just makes for a longer boiling time. I've never had a problem with 10A even in tiny hire cars the plug just gets a bit warm if you're doing consecutive boils (by warm I mean don't touch it).
  • You can set the temperature to boil to. I'm told this is useful for certain coffees but I don't really care. It displays the current temp so if I'm getting impatient I'll use it at 80c etc.
  • It beeps when it's done and will maintain the temperature until it's disconnected.
  • It fits in a cupholder.
Cons:
  • You'll only get 2 cups out of it, it doesn't have a huge capacity.
  • c.15mins to boil from cold so don't expect it to be as quick as the kettle in your kitchen.
  • The above boil time makes it rubbish for a round of drinks for 3 people or more.
I tend to keep it full and turn it on when we're thinking of stopping in the next 30mins. It'll then keep hot for when we need.

This has seriously saved our bacon when we've been in the middle of Spain really hungry with civilisation about 100miles away in each direction. Pot noodles and fresh coffee to the rescue! We have a small box in the boot with kettle, water and some food which doesn't expire in case of "get stuck in the car for 6hour+ emergencies". Almost got used in the snow recently.

Not everyone's cup of tea though, I admit.

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
Is it just me or is there something about this thread that questions the viability of EVs needing charge stops?
Yeah I just buy a tea in the service station. Looking forward to the day when I can drive a BEV 200+ miles and then a service station/charging stop will become a rarity.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I think this is one of the more informative threads here, I think you are missing the point we are planning for the day when we have a 500 miles range and can recharge in 11 seconds and do it again. Pot noodle will be useful in that case and once I have used the water in the thermos I can then refill it negating another reason to stop!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts