Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi - Has anybody found it necessary to apply a charge to their 12 Volt battery yet ?.
If so, when & why and also what type of unit did you use for this process please.
Like a lot of people, we have only been carrying out short trip for a while now.
Yesterday, I noticed that when the car was fully booted and driving, for the first mile of our trip to the super market.
The 12 Volt battery indicator in the dash panel, had only one white bar above the centre 12 volt mark being displayed.
I though this a little usual, because their is usually two white bars showing in the display ?.
This morning I put a volt meter across the battery and it was reporting 12.5 Volts steady.
We made a few small trips today and the 12 Volt gauge displayed one white section low but after only a mile or so, it returned to the normal TWO white bars displayed.
This situation gave me cause to consider if the 12 Volt battery could be a little on the low side.
Has anybody else witnessed this type of behaviour ?.
You have to be quick to catch it, because after a short time the car appears to replace the power into the 12 Volt battery from the H.V. battery.
Which is a good thing, right ?.
I do already have a power pack in the car for emergency purposes, but I am considering purchasing a "Smart" charger as well.
Bit of "Belt and Braces".
Any recommendations would be gladly received folks !.
Thanks.

·
Registered
92 Posts
12.5 is not bad at all for a car that has little use. I wouldn't bother, especially in summer.
I have to keep a close eye on the voltage of my Jaaag which needs a little help to keep above 12 in winter.

Reactions: Carty

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Really hard to get a better charger than those made by CTEK. Mine has paid for litself over and over, used it tonight on daughters car while she was over here having a socially distant garden dinner.

No need to disconnect terminals from the car, just charge in situ whilst connected into the car.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I purchased the Ring Intelligent Battery Charger RSC408 on Donald's recommendation which I have found to be excellent. I collected my e-Niro on Monday and since not using the car much gave the car a charge this afternoon. Was surprised how much the charger added but I think the treatment has done the battery good. Hopefully it will now retain its full charge for some time.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I have a CTEK, smallest power you can get and it is fantastic. I have a 13 year old Astra with original battery. The car was my work car used for mainly longish journeys, 30 miles to 100 on motorways dual carriageways. Since I retired it hasn't been anywhere much and the green telltale on the battery disappeared. The CTEK resurrected it in 4 days of trickle charging. You don't need a beefy charger the cheapest will do.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a CTEK, smallest power you can get and it is fantastic. I have a 13 year old Astra with original battery. The car was my work car used for mainly longish journeys, 30 miles to 100 on motorways dual carriageways. Since I retired it hasn't been anywhere much and the green telltale on the battery disappeared. The CTEK resurrected it in 4 days of trickle charging. You don't need a beefy charger the cheapest will do.
I must correct you there young man,any charger will not do.As the 12 volt battery on the zs ev is a gel battery and not a wet battery they need a charger that is designed for gel batteries.My partner's smart for two and my Yamaha 750cc Virago both have gel batteries and a normal charger will not put any charge into the batteries.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
I must correct you there young man,any charger will not do.As the 12 volt battery on the zs ev is a gel battery and not a wet battery they need a charger that is designed for gel batteries.My partner's smart for two and my Yamaha 750cc Virago both have gel batteries and a normal charger will not put any charge into the batteries.
CTEK chargers have a setting for AGM batteries, or at least mine does.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Another CTEK fan here. I use their MXS 5 as a maintenance charge on my classic car. It is able to detect when the battery charge is dropping, and top it up, then switch off. So it is left connected while the car is in the garage.

it can handle AGM and wet cell batteries, and will recover a dead battery (I’ve no idea if it can, it says it can!)

they are about £70 on Amazon at the moment

·
Registered
92 Posts
I have a ctek MXS 5.0 which is apparently ideal. Think it was around £60. It has a reconditioning setting that I am rather sceptical about.

I also have a similar 'Ultimate Speed' charger that I picked up from ALDI for £20. That has the advantage of an integrated voltmeter.

The connectors on the ctek are better. You can pick up ctek extensions and connectors off ebay etc.

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
Another CTEK fan here. I use their MXS 5 as a maintenance charge on my classic car. It is able to detect when the battery charge is dropping, and top it up, then switch off. So it is left connected while the car is in the garage.

it can handle AGM and wet cell batteries, and will recover a dead battery (I’ve no idea if it can, it says it can!)

they are about £70 on Amazon at the moment

I too have their MXS 5.0

It's used as a battery CHARGER, not just as a battery conditioner. It really has been invaluable during this lockdown

I've charged batteries from 7Ahr AGM through to 120Ahr silver leaf acid with this charger using the different settings.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
CTEK MXS 5.0 here too. Very handy as it's got an AGM setting, which is what Ampera/Volt use.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Can I firstly thank all the members who have responded to my request to find a “Smart” charger to suit my EV !.
I have been reading some of the reviews of both the recommended “Ring” and the “CTEK” units.
Like with ALL reviews, there is some good and bad mixed results.
The “Ring” unit appears to have a fairly high failure rate by what I can see, it has a a five year warranty but a couple of customers have needed their units repairing twice in that time frame.
Maybe they have just been unlucky I guess.
The CTEK 5 is a very popular choice and customers appear to be happy with its functions ( according to the reviews that is ).
A few customers complain about the selection button “Sticking” on the MXS 5 units ?.
Would anybody like to comment on this subject please ?.
Had a quick look at the battery on my ZS EV this morning, yep it’s still there !.
Sorry, please excuse my poor sense of humour.
The battery is a Varta Silverline unit rated at 60 Amp Per Hour with AGM printed on the case.
Not a “Gell” battery then ?.
More of your “Common or Garden” lead acid battery, am I right in saying.
Can anybody confirm if the CTEK 5 has a setting to choose between standard lead acid or gell battery ?.
Or can the charger automatically detect what battery it is going to charge prior to commencing a charge session.
I just want a unit that I can just “Plug and Play” every couple of months to just keep the 12 Volt battery at the top of it’s game.
I think we are all aware that EV’s can have issues with running the 12 Volt battery that low, it will not boot up the system.
I would like to try and avoid this as much as possible by offering the battery a bit of a helping hand every now and again.
Smallish, batteries on an ICE car CAN be less of a problem because of a large alternator to replenish the battery very quickly.
Replacing the juice into 12 Volt battery in a EV from the HV battery unit appears to be at a much slower sedate pace :sleep:.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Yes, there's a button on the CTEK to switch between 'standard' FLA (flooded lead acid) and AGM or 'sealed' batteries.

·
Registered
7,178 Posts
The big difference with modern 'smart' chargers is that they can analyse a 12v battery and then instigate a programme of charge sessions designed for that condition. But a big trick is to leave it connected for as long as possible. It will not overcharge and cause damage but will use the longer time to reduce sulfation and condition the cells at full voltage. Once a month overnight when convenient will keep the battery healthy and avoid all of the issues reported by EV owners over low voltage that can cause bizarre and unpredictable glitches.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Can I firstly thank all the members who have responded to my request to find a “Smart” charger to suit my EV !.
I have been reading some of the reviews of both the recommended “Ring” and the “CTEK” units.
Like with ALL reviews, there is some good and bad mixed results.
The “Ring” unit appears to have a fairly high failure rate by what I can see, it has a a five year warranty but a couple of customers have needed their units repairing twice in that time frame.
Maybe they have just been unlucky I guess.
The CTEK 5 is a very popular choice and customers appear to be happy with its functions ( according to the reviews that is ).
A few customers complain about the selection button “Sticking” on the MXS 5 units ?.
Would anybody like to comment on this subject please ?.
Had a quick look at the battery on my ZS EV this morning, yep it’s still there !.
Sorry, please excuse my poor sense of humour.
The battery is a Varta Silverline unit rated at 60 Amp Per Hour with AGM printed on the case.
Not a “Gell” battery then ?.
More of your “Common or Garden” lead acid battery, am I right in saying.
Can anybody confirm if the CTEK 5 has a setting to choose between standard lead acid or gell battery ?.
Or can the charger automatically detect what battery it is going to charge prior to commencing a charge session.
I just want a unit that I can just “Plug and Play” every couple of months to just keep the 12 Volt battery at the top of it’s game.
I think we are all aware that EV’s can have issues with running the 12 Volt battery that low, it will not boot up the system.
I would like to try and avoid this as much as possible by offering the battery a bit of a helping hand every now and again.
Smallish, batteries on an ICE car CAN be less of a problem because of a large alternator to replenish the battery very quickly.
Replacing the juice into 12 Volt battery in a EV from the HV battery unit appears to be at a much slower sedate pace :sleep:.
I use the MX 0.8 which automatically checks the battery and goes through 5 or 6 stages (can’t check it’s in New Zealand on a 23 year old RAV!) No buttons just leave it connected for a few days, or permanently for 7 months in the case of the RAV. It revived a 13 year old battery to new again. Brilliant kit.

·
Registered
3,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I use the MX 0.8 which automatically checks the battery and goes through 5 or 6 stages (can’t check it’s in New Zealand on a 23 year old RAV!) No buttons just leave it connected for a few days, or permanently for 7 months in the case of the RAV. It revived a 13 year old battery to new again. Brilliant kit.
Wow ... Brian, that’s is one hell of an extension lead to reach from the U.K mate !.:giggle:
Thanks for the feed back.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Wow ... Brian, that’s is one hell of an extension lead to reach from the U.K mate !.:giggle:
Thanks for the feed back.
Ahh you haven’t heard of the Trans Atlantic/Pacific interconnector? Well the real story is the RAV lives there full time, the MG ZS EV lives in the UK full time and I spend much of the winter there where I can clip my grandchildren round the ear hole! The 13 year old battery is on a little used Astra In the UK which has the original battery. I noted in December that the green pip showing good condition had gone from the spy hole in the battery so brought the charger back with me in February when I came back to watch some rugby and do some chores whilst SWMBO was left in NZ (cat‘s away!) The charger brought the green pip back, now it is the least expensive of the CTEK kit and it does the job, and I’m guessing with such a low current it may do a better job? Anyway I’m thinking I’ll have to get another one now for the uk. It was my wife’s wanting a car like the RAV that got us into buying the MG. Small SUV style and automatic. Richmond Motors in Southampton had a petrol automatic Kona which we drove and that seemed noisy even compa to the old RAV. I mentioned I might prefer electric and they happened to have one there. We drove It and there was no comparison. in the time that a Kona was available the MG came along and the larger back seat and boot won. Fourteen thousand pounds is a lot for the bigger battery!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts