Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am starting to hate Google Play Music more and more. It's bugs (can't deal with multi-disc FLAC albums my main one) and lack of Replay Gain support.

Any suggestions for a good, sensible, stable music player app (paid or free) for Android Auto?

My normal Poweramp Pro doesn't support AA, even in the latest beta, and the others I have looked at via the store seem to put "gosh wow" looks over features and quality.

What I need, at minimum:

1. Gapless playback
2. Proper compilation album handling (multi-disc sorting, understanding "Various" artists etc.)
3. Replay Gain normalisation
Edit: 4. Local music files ONLY - don't care about streaming at all

Ideas? What do you use?

·
Registered
128 Posts
hmm I use spotify but then I have a premium subscription free with my Vodafone plan. Not sure what works with AA other than spotify and Play Music. Have you tried YouTube Music? It will replace Play Music soon

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have my "own" rips of everything I want, I should have said I am not looking for streaming. Will update original post!

·
Super Moderator
12,238 Posts
Ideas? What do you use?
I use AppleMusic on my Android phone. I moved over from Spotify last month.

AppleMusic subscriptions include the older iTunes match. Apple Music / iTunes Match gives me access to the CD library I ripped to my computer.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I use AppleMusic on my Android phone. I moved over from Spotify last month.

AppleMusic subscriptions include the older iTunes match. Apple Music / iTunes Match gives me access to the CD library I ripped to my computer.

That's horrible. I just tried it. Uninstalled very quickly. I don't want to subscribe to anything, just play local music. You can't do that with this app. I think if I downloaded an app called "advertise at me, use my eyeballs, empty my wallet" it would be a more pleasant experience.

Thanks though - one more to never look at again :)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am now installing Pulsar Music Player (Pro) as I had some Play Store credits to use anyway. It reads OK and I have a couple of hours to test ...

·
Registered
128 Posts
I have my "own" rips of everything I want, I should have said I am not looking for streaming. Will update original post!
no I understood what you were asking but I think those are your options, you can download in spotify so that you're not streaming but Play music you can use to play all your rips (but I assume you knew that and don't like it)

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
no I understood what you were asking but I think those are your options, you can download in spotify so that you're not streaming but Play music you can use to play all your rips (but I assume you knew that and don't like it)
I really wasn't clear enough I guess. I don't buy music without hard copy (CD, record, etc.) or stream the stuff. I don't want any subscription / download services. But thanks for trying to understand my vagueness.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Try DoubleTwist. I think it offers everything you need.
Thanks. Had a quick go but the basic features I need add up to over £10 ... I'll continue with Pulsar for a bit (£2.xx) and see if that does everything. To be clear Pulsar could have been free for the features I wanted, but I believe in rewarding "good behaviour" to app authors who don't push the freemium model too hard.

·
Registered
120 Posts
That supports Android Auto? Cool. Pointers?
That supports Android Auto? Cool. Pointers?
My system doesn't support android auto, I just use the touchscreen to put on music and navit for open source mapping.

However there is an alpha test for AA here r/Android - Hi /r/android, I made Crankshaft - a turnkey free software that turns a Raspberry Pi into an Android Auto head unit

Carpi also has some good skins for Kodi if you just wanted a music player and mapping but won't support a Bluetooth connection

Linky:
CarPC step-by-step guide for Raspbian Jessie
Ll

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you forced to have a premium Spotify subscription for Android auto?
Free Spotify works fine for me via Bluetooth and seldom drops out in the areas that I drive most regularly.
Free Spotify actually caches a lot of data do if you're playing a track you've listened to before, usually it'll play from the cache even if data signal has dropped out.
Good enough for me because I can tolerate permanent shuffle mode.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Don't know if it'll work with Android Auto and it's not available via play store but I have Winamp on my phone for listening to music, can put it on Google Drive and share link if you want to try it.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Don't know if it'll work with Android Auto and it's not available via play store but I have Winamp on my phone for listening to music, can put it on Google Drive and share link if you want to try it.
doesn't work with android auto

·
Premium Member
11,978 Posts
I am now installing Pulsar Music Player (Pro) as I had some Play Store credits to use anyway. It reads OK and I have a couple of hours to test ...
I too am interested in a local AA media player, so do keep us updated on how you get on.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I tend to just rip my CDs using windows, transfer the file to iTunes, then stick it on an old iPod touch with cracked outer glass, plugged it into the USB port and stashed it in the passenger footwell behind the carpet. You never need to touch it apart from uploading tunes every now and then.

Reactions: Ian Clark
1 - 20 of 44 Posts