Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. This is my first time posting here, but I’ve found looking through threads on this site useful, so I really hope you can help with this query.
I have an eNV-200 which I use for work. There are three of us in the family, so I could really do with having a seat installed in the back which comes out again easily when necessary. There is also a bulkhead in the van which would need to be modified. Ideally, the seat would fold down so it could be carried without taking up too much room.
I’ve really struggled to find someone who is willing to do this work. Everyone is happy to fit a window in the door, but no one seems to want to take on this other work.
Can anyone recommend a garage near-ish to the Peak District I can take my van to for this? Many thanks in advance, Finbarr.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hi there , I am a qualified campervan fitter and can fit a rear seat for you , however I can’t sign anything off . I live in baslow in the Peak District. A picture shows you a seat with integral belts and you can remove the seat as it’s on rails . Regards dan

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s great dan thanks! Is signing it off something I could find someone else to do? It’s all new to me, forgive me if I’m being dense.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
27,697 Posts
AFAIK you can fit a seat which has been homologated for M1/N1 use by declaring competency, or the person you fit it does, but it is entirely up to your insurance company if they accept that. You state "..[the modification]..." and make its provenance clear, and they say yes or no.

If that is not true for some reason, then someone better tell me because that's exactly what I have done by adding an extra seat to the wheel chair van I use sometimes. DVLA and the insurance company didn't bat an eyelid over it.

My understanding is that UK law requires only that such seating is fit for purpose, not that it has some sort of certification process unless it is being commercially sold as a product specifically with that modification.

But don't take that as advice, go check it and let me know if you find something different.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Donald is correct, sorry let me put it another way . Some insurance companies require you to submit a certificate if it is a rock and roll bed type seat . This is an m1 pull testing certificate and as far as signing it off I mean a receipt for the work ( only a few insurance companies ) as far a normal seats are concerned dvla will will require pictures of the work carried out and if these aren’t sufficient Ie suspect work or poor picture they will need more info . Providing these are met they will reclassify the vehicle. I can do this for you it’s not a problem. There are various seats out there to choose from . Regards

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Donald for that, and thanks Dan. Let’s chat about it or I’ll come to you in the van, and if you think it’s possible I’ll definitely get you to do the work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Haha, yes thanks Dan, I’d assumed it was a typo but I could bring my wife along anyway! Just waiting to get the back floors repaired after someone ran into me last week in a slow moving jam :( but once that’s sorted I’ll make a date to visit in the van and we can chat. Thanks very much for such a quick and useful response, really love this site.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts