Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

As mentioned here, I'm in the process of getting quotes for a home charger installation. While I wait for replies from local installers, I'd appreciate some advice...

Knowing as little as I do about such things, I'm extremely wary of being ripped off so I'd really appreciate some guidance about which companies you lot would currently recommend.

(I've checked the usual review sites and, as usual, there's a fairly mixed bag.)

The ones that keep popping up in searches are:
PodPoint
BP Chargemaster
Smart Home Charge

Are they generally trustworthy/competent? Are there any others that you'd recommend?

Thank you very much in advance. :cool:

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
8,640 Posts
It's all down to the luck of the draw, particularly as some use contractors as well as their staff. You need to know what you want and how it should be done. I'd suggest getting a local installer recommended by others. Where in the country are you?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Depends what you want in all honesty.

Cost?
Design?
Solar?

If I'm running it from a garage DB I want it with o-pen incorporated in the unit I also want a adaptive fuse.

Do you want a app that tracks your usage? WiFi connection important?

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It's all down to the luck of the draw, particularly as some use contractors as well as their staff. You need to know what you want and how it should be done. I'd suggest getting a local installer recommended by others. Where in the country are you?
I'm waiting for a quote from a local installer at the moment. I'm just exploring all of my options. :)

I'm in Oxfordshire.

Depends what you want in all honesty.

Cost?
Design?
Solar?

If I'm running it from a garage DB I want it with o-pen incorporated in the unit I also want a adaptive fuse.

Do you want a app that tracks your usage? WiFi connection important?
An app would be useful but not essential. The same for a WiFi connection.

Solar: not applicable.

Design: the priority is simplicity and reliability. I don't mind paying for something decent but, for example, I'm locked into a fixed tariff for the next 12 months so the ability to use variable rate charging isn't important.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi, Had quotes from 4 "local" installers andit was my preferred option when starting out however 2 of them were the most expensive of the 11 quotes I had and 1 of them was double what I eventually paid. I went with homezap which came via gocharged from this very site. Excellent install by Intelligent Electrics.
I don't think the local guys can buy the equipment at prices to compete with the national companies.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi I work for the Electric Vehicle Consumer Code for Home Chargepoints. We launched last year and you can find information on the code at www.electric-vehicle.org.uk. We are a non for profit who run other codes and schemes too including the Chartered Trading Standards approved code RECC. EVCC raises standards for installers of home chargepoints and is there to protect consumers. Should you choose an EVCC member then they must comply with our standards which apply to sales, the contract, cancellation rights, after sales etc. We also have a dispute resolution service.

Our current members are listed on our website. If you are worried about being ripped off we might have some guidance for you or if you go with an EVCC member then the installer should provide you with certain protections.

Good luck with you chargepoint install.
Lorraine EVCC

1 - 6 of 6 Posts