Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would update you on my in-line electricity meter for recording my charging costs/usage.

I sourced an Elster A100C meter from Ebay at around £20 and cabled it in-line between the house fusebox & the pod-point charger.

The meter records the Kwh usage used which I can take a monthly meter reading from for my spreadsheet - nice & simple :)

Pictures uploaded...

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
PS, the trunking has nothing to do with the light switch... it just looked neater taking it all the way to the light switch trunking :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
This is great. Will you be able to calculate a reasonably accurate cost per mile? Then I assume you could extrapolate future costs over the longer term too.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This is great. Will you be able to calculate a reasonably accurate cost per mile? Then I assume you could extrapolate future costs over the longer term too.
Absolutely! I've created a spreadsheet that I'll update on a monthly basis. I'll be calculating miles travelled, against KWh used and the equivelent petrol cost based on the current unleaded petrol cost for 45mpg (expected mpg from my previous Ford Focus Ecoboost 1.0).

It's been a little in the air this month, as my Leaf has been in the garage for a couple of weeks to fix a mis-build issue.

My figures (simplified) to 1st November were:

Mileage: 719 miles
KWh used: 200.8
Elec. Rate: £0.108760/KWh
Charge Cost: £21.84
Equiv. Petrol: £93.91

Saving: (£72.07)

·
Banned
558 Posts
My home charge was done by EDF and included a meter, which is identical to the home meter. Expensive and maybe over complicated - but FOC.
I not that you a paying 10p kw/h - have you tried to get your supplier to recognise the EV as eligible for Econ-7, which is 5p kw/h! OK it will save you only a further £10 per month, which is small beer compared to the £72 you are saving already! However, it doesn't cost to ask!
Drive ON! (and save!)

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I not that you a paying 10p kw/h - have you tried to get your supplier to recognise the EV as eligible for Econ-7, which is 5p kw/h! OK it will save you only a further £10 per month, which is small beer compared to the £72 you are saving already! However, it doesn't cost to ask!
Drive ON! (and save!)
Are you saying that I could ask for the car (only) to be considered for economy 7 rates? Rather than changing over my whole tariff.

I haven't done the maths on converting my whole electricity tariff over to Economy 7, but I understand that you really need to shift about 40% of your electricity usage over to the cheap times for it to be cost effective against the increased standard daily rate - comments welcome though!

·
Banned
558 Posts
Are you saying that I could ask for the car (only) to be considered for economy 7 rates? Rather than changing over my whole tariff.

I haven't done the maths on converting my whole electricity tariff over to Economy 7,...!
For everyone the maths may be different however, you should be able to make a spreadsheet with formulae to calculate the break even point. Even after you have calculated the an advantage on Eco-7, you've got to consider any cost that might be incurred if you have to pay for the installation of a new meter.

Every thing is worth researching - especially if can stimulate the energy companies to offer special tariffs for EV owners? One company to try is NPower who claim to have an EV team on 0800 294 3568.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.

Drive ON!

Reactions: Paul

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
When we got out Leaf we switched to E7 and also switched to Ecotricity's 100% renewables tariff. We have managed to shift our day/night mix to about 1/3 day vs 2/3 night and although I haven't done the sums recently I think it is working out well for us.

Ecotricity has now guaranteed all their supply as renewable and also committed to being cheaper than the Big 6 for some time too. I pay about 6p/kwh night and 16p/kwh day.

Although I would highly recommend Ecotricity for any EV driver I know that Kevin Sharge is with Good Energy and highly rates them so there is a choice of good, renewable suppliers without having to use the Big 6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts