Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have heard a buzz that the budget will drop all the tax incentives associated with the use of red Diesel for transport purposes e.g. construction and farming.

This will be to incentivise use of other fuels.

·
Registered
Kona 64
554 Posts
Ou no, I will have to stop filling my Kona EV with Red and go back to using electrons.

I dare say ‘red’ will still be available as heavy heating oil for heating purposes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
28 second gas oil is filthy and lacks many of the combustion enhancing additive benefits of true 35 second (Derv).
Yes, they both will burn in most diesel engines, but in the case the former not cleanly, nor efficiently.
Perhaps just on pollution grounds there's a case for ridding the plant/agri./marine market of that most polluting fuel and enabling cleaner alternates (Derv/recycled/veg) with tax incentives.

·
Evezy referral code: d4113
169 Posts
28 second gas oil is filthy and lacks many of the combustion enhancing additive benefits of true 35 second (Derv).
Yes, they both will burn in most diesel engines, but in the case the former not cleanly, nor efficiently.
Perhaps just on pollution grounds there's a case for ridding the plant/agri./marine market of that most polluting fuel and enabling cleaner alternates (Derv/recycled/veg) with tax incentives.
Gas Oil and Diesel (DERV) are exactly the same product. Only difference is GO has red dye added and doesn't carry VAT, Diesel (DERV) does not have the red dye added and carries VAT (and maybe duty?).
Maybe some oil companies put additives into diesel and give it a fancy name like Super Diesel or Performance Diesel and charge you a premium, but standard Diesel bought at the pumps by 99% of the population is exactly the same product as Gas Oil.
28 Second burning oil is Kerosene which is a different product out of the cracking plant.

Ex fuel oil rep

Reactions: Woodulike

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Its one of those things that simultaneously makes sense, and doesnt make sense, and seems typical of our governments lack of planning and foresight.

Clearly, moving away from diesel where possible should be incentivised, and various levers can be used to achieve that. But businesses need time to adapt, and equipment manufacturers need time to actually produce machinery that can do the work using an alternative fuel.

Go try and purchase an Electric telehandler or tractor...

This is the sort of stuff that we should have been proposing YEARS ago, giving everyone time to sort out the solutions.

Instead, slamming it into a budget with zero notice achieves nothing, as no-one has any time to actually do anything about it, and just ends up paying a fortune for fuel, costs which are simply then passed on down the line.

Converting heavy machinery to electric power presents a lot of challenges around energy density and charging. What portion of emissions does off highway actually contribute to the UKs total?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,097 Posts
I think the main issue with Red Diesel is down to tax evasion as there is a nice little business in cleaning it to remove the dye marker and selling it on. Also there are a few people that run on it all the time.

It's a tax loop hole that needed closing off really.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts