Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Prompted by discussion on another thread over misuse of the red button, I wondered what constitutes a true emergency.

Have you ever had to press the red button on a rapid charger in an emergency? What were the circumstances?

·
Registered
381 Posts
If I need to charge and the pump isn’t working that’s an emergency! Have pressed it to try resetting an out of order pump, and done the twist and pull on a couple of different occasions. Was even feeling charitable and reset one I wasn’t using when I spotted it was out of order. Came back on all happy and smiling after a couple of minutes. Don’t 'spose it'll always work, but well worth checking the button hasn’t been pushed in and left in if a pump isn’t doing what it should be.

·
Registered
983 Posts
I've had to push the button on 5 or 6 different Ecotricity chargers in the last year. Once to re-set it when I'd turned up and it saying it was offline, and the rest to stop a charge due to the app crashing and not being able to stop the charge otherwise. Since Ecotricity altered the app a few months ago, I haven't had to resort to using the button.

So no real emergencies, more not wanting to wait for it to time out after 45 minutes.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I think that if you cannot use the app, you can try phoning the help line to have charge started or stopped.
Providing it isn't outside the hours of 8:30am – 7pm Monday to Thursday, 8.30am – 6pm Friday, and 9am – 4pm Saturday.

·
Registered
773 Posts
As someone who hasn’t had to use these yet, could someone explain the thing about twisting and pulling?
Simply push the button in. It locks in. Then you give it a bit of a twist and it pops out. Quite a small movement either way.

It seems like it does a soft re-boot on the system. I got a charge at Hopwood on Sunday, after it had been giving me an initialisation error every time.

·
Registered
490 Posts
At the weekend I used the chargers at M62 (E) one had the button pushed in, I tried to twist and pull but it wouldnt release, and I was being quite forcefull. Is there a knack to it or wasn't I pulling it hard enough? (stop sniggering back there ;) )
The second pump worked ok.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,600 Posts
At the weekend I used the chargers at M62 (E) one had the button pushed in, I tried to twist and pull but it wouldnt release, and I was being quite forcefull. Is there a knack to it or wasn't I pulling it hard enough? (stop sniggering back there ;) )
Shouldn't need any force, just a slight twist and it should pop out, it is spring loaded so doesn't need to be pulled.

·
Registered
381 Posts
It’s not always as simple as just pulling it hard, sometimes you've got to wiggle it just right too... keep practicing!!

·
Registered
490 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts