Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having just rolled down a hill and added 1.5 miles range in under a minute I got to wondering if you were stuck in the sticks somewhere, would it be possible to jack up the front wheels of the niro, find some means to spin them, and thus add charge.

Or would u just get an ice car to tow you a few miles with brake regen on 3.

Would either of these work?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Having just rolled down a hill and added 1.5 miles range in under a minute I got to wondering if you were stuck in the sticks somewhere, would it be possible to jack up the front wheels of the niro, find some means to spin them, and thus add charge.

1. Like what? A steam powered traction engine handily parked up nearby? Or push the car to the top of a l-o-n-g downhill stretch ? I wouldn't try this if I were you.
2. You would need a very strong towrope and a powerful towing vehicle. Not to be recommended either.

Surely it would be far better / safer just to call for a flatbed recovery vehicle to load up the car and take it to the nearest public charge point! OK so if really in the sticks, you might have to walk a bit first , to get a mobile signal!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Don't recommend it. Here's page 1-60 of the manual

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,876 Posts

You'll need a friend to help.

Just remove the front wheels and get two cordless drills attached to the hubs.

After a few hours sat there you should have around 1% more battery capacity. More than enough to offset the fact you had the HVAC running all that time...

Or just purchase two running machines and tie the car to them running on full.

Can't see a flaw in either option frankly...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Surely a standard tow rope would suffice as towing at 20mph on the flat (level 2 regen ) would be like towing a free wheeling car up a hill. If you started in drive slowly then engage regen the car doesn't know it isn't gravity, so should be good.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,520 Posts
Surely a standard tow rope would suffice as towing at 20mph on the flat (level 2 regen ) would be like towing a free wheeling car up a hill. If you started in drive slowly then engage regen the car doesn't know it isn't gravity, so should be good.
When was the last time that you tried to tow a car with the brakes on? :eek:

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've done it with our Leaf and Landrover. I towed the Leaf for 5 miles or so with max regen all the way. Probably 30kw of regen for 10 minutes, so around 3kWh of charge. We disconnected the tow rope and my wife drove home normally the remaining 5 miles. No different to descending a long hill really and it wasn't a tough tow either. 30kw is about 40 Horsepower so my 113hp Landrover didn't struggle too much. Having said all that I'd still go for a low loader if the distance had been much greater, life's too short for long distance towing.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
My take on this is, Glynn Hudson has also shown that using the open evse (with the required ground removed) he used a generator to get his env200 through a part of Spain which was sparsely populated by chargers at the time. Yes a tow both gets you where you need to go whilst simultaneously charging the pack however as stated above long distance towing would not be fun. Far easier to get someone to drop of a generator to your car and car it through the AC enough to get to a nearby rapid.

I am waiting for the day where all cars have a sono scion option of transferring power to another. Then we just need more good Samaritans to stop and lend a charge.

·
Registered
2011 Leaf with Muxsan 17.6kWh battery, curt tow hitch fitted for bikes or buzz rack P10
309 Posts
Seems extreme when you could have got the same charge at a friendly cafe with an extension lead.
yes probably is a little but I imagine he was preparing for the worse and hoping for the best and probably doing it to make more video content, whatever the reason he showed a) it was possible and b) it was still on a par for efficiency for an ice car. I imagine also that there are remote areas with 0 friendly cafes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts