Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this warning in the way home. The oil was changed back in January when I bought the car and the oil level on the dip stick is sat just on the max level.
I've had some sporty GTE mode drives on b roads from time to time and never saw this message, tonight I was just driving steadily back home about 50mph when the message came up.
I'm confident the oil level is fine I just want to clear the message to see if it comes back.
My question is how do I clear the message?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,506 Posts
The easiest way to clear the message, go to the dealer that changed your oil and get them to extract some. Done.

By the way, there are a lot of threads on this topic around...:censored:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The easiest way to clear the message, go to the dealer that changed your oil and get them to extract some. Done.

By the way, there are a lot of threads on this topic around...:censored:
I don't want to take oil out when it's already just below the max line.

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
Just throwing this out there - it isn't unheard of for a car to have the wrong dip stick...

I've used Torque Pro (on Android) to clear fault codes before. Doesn't do all of them though (didn't work on an airbag light).

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,506 Posts
I don't want to take oil out when it's already just below the max line.
It is your car... you either trust the dipstick or the electronics. They can't both be right... or wrong, whatever the case might be.

My former GTE threw this error after two services from the local "dis" qualified VW dealers. Both times, they fixed their mistake for free.

By the way, it did take some time for the error to show up, one was about 2 months after the service. On a longer trip, at high RPM and high oil temps only.

And final point, you clear the error, but the underlying problem destroys your engine...You are not annoyed any more, but you don't have a car either... :eek: "Project fear" here I come!!!

Reactions: cdlb and Tooks

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
On VW's the message will disappear when the fault is not present any more
So if the message is there, oil is too high. Take some oil out, only way to fix it.
PCV might lead to gases getting into the oil especially if infrequently used, which may cause a slight increase in oil level
High oil level can damage turbo and catalyst.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On VW's the message will disappear when the fault is not present any more
So if the message is there, oil is too high. Take some oil out, only way to fix it.
PCV might lead to gases getting into the oil especially if infrequently used, which may cause a slight increase in oil level
High oil level can damage turbo and catalyst.
The message has disappeared today, without taking any oil out. I thought it would need clearing, like a fault code. If I reappears I'll take some oil out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts