Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There,

My wife bought a Fiat 500e last June and I have to say it is a fantastic car. However, one question I have is.... Fiat claims the car's WLTP range is good for 199 miles but when fully charged the dash says the range is 161 miles! Is there some sort of safety margin here?

This has been like this for some time - so when the weather was warmer.

I wonder if any of you can shed some light on this?

Cheers

Austin

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, thanks. I have a vague recollection of it showing 184 odd when we first got it but as I don't drive it much, I have only noticed the 161 range over the last couple of months.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The indicated range is a fiction. The max range is essentially the usable battery capacity multiplied by the car’s supposed efficiency. So if you can achieve 4 miles/kWh and have a 42kWh battery with 37.3kWh usable, then the range is 149 miles.

4 miles/kWh is pretty good this time of year and you probably won’t manage that. 3.5 is more realistic, so the range is then 130.

to get 199 miles from 37.3 kWh usable means hitting over 5 miles/kWh which is… optimistic. Then again it’s a city car by design so in summer, with very careful driving, you might manage it.

More realistic is just 4.3miles/kWh which gives you the 161 range.

The more I think about it, have they massively cocked up and stated the car’s range based on the full battery capacity rather than the usable capacity?
Ah, interesting; that explains a lot. I went to Brighton yesterday which for me was about 85 miles. If I couldn't get a charging point I planned a 20 min top-up at Cobham Services on the M25. As 90% of my journey was on the motorway, and they were clear, I spent the majority of that time at 70 mph. The 85-mile journey took nearly 140 miles off the 'range'. In the time I was there, I charged the car back to 85%. On the journey back I stayed at 60 mph and this time the 85-mile journey consumed approximately 105 miles of 'range'.

I drove these journeys in the 'Range Mode' which did help. I note that in 'Sherpa Mode' the car asks you to limit the speed to 50 mph.

It's a learning curve I guess ......but it is still a great car!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.