Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
I've posted this before, but it is an illustration as to just how different the true range of all cars, no matter what fuel they use, is from the advertised range. In 2005 I bought a Toyota Prius hybrid, and decided to monitor its performance to see how much more efficient it was when compared to other cars I'd owned.

That car is advertised as having a (extra-urban) range of 668 miles (from the official mpg and the fuel tank capacity). That is a complete joke, the very best I ever managed to get out of it was a range of only 607 miles, and in winter that range dropped massively to only 506 miles.

The thing lost over 160 miles of its advertised range in winter. My wife's Yaris was actually worse, that didn't get as close as the Prius to meeting its advertised range. You will find it's exactly the same for ever other car every sold - the specs never come close to reality.

The issue with EVs is that the range is stated in the WLTP testing, rather than the mpg (which has to be divided into the usable fuel tank capacity to get the range). This means that reviews and advertising for ICE vehicles rarely ever mentions the range. As another example, the first few cars I owned were all Minis. The fuel tank held around 5 gallons and they might manage to get 40mpg if driven carefully. That meant that they had a maximum range of no more than about 200 miles, and in reality the range was a fair bit less than that most of the time.

·
Registered
12,683 Posts
To be fair - 607/668, means you achieved 91% of stated range.

That was the very best figure, though. Even under optimum conditions there was a ~9% range shortfall compared with the spec. In winter the range was only about 76% of the specification figure, so about a 24% shortfall.

That's comparable with some EVs. My car has a spec that gives a WLTP range of 292 miles, in reality is does around 270 miles in ideal conditions (an 8% shortfall versus the spec) and about 210 miles in worst case conditions (a 28% shortfall versus the spec). This isn't wildly different to the ICE car variation, is it?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.