Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
˙ǝןƃƃnɹʇs ןןıɥuʍop ɐ sı ǝɟı˥
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the regenerative braking stronger in Eco mode? Or is it because the car has more performance in normal mode and regen' braking has more to work with that it feels it isn't slowing the car as strongly?

·
Registered
386 Posts
Braking in Zoe is not influenced by how full the battery is or the mode you are using (eco or standard). I think there are some other EVs that do this, but I think it's a rather dangerous "feature".

I think the answer to your second question is somehow yes, it's a nice illusion. The fact that the car picks up speed much quicker in Standard mode gives you the impression that it's not slowing down as fast, whereas in Eco mode it feels sluggish, meaning more time to reach the same speed. But the braking/regen behaviour should be the same.

·
Registered
942 Posts
There has to be less regenerative braking when the battery is full because there is nowhere for the power to go. Simple physics.
Braking in Zoe is not influenced by how full the battery is or the mode you are using (eco or standard). I think there are some other EVs that do this, but I think it's a rather dangerous "feature".

I think the answer to your second question is somehow yes, it's a nice illusion. The fact that the car picks up speed much quicker in Standard mode gives you the impression that it's not slowing down as fast, whereas in Eco mode it feels sluggish, meaning more time to reach the same speed. But the braking/regen behaviour should be the same.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,508 Posts
@Kentish is actually right here (Sorry @mihai :( ). If the battery is full, it cannot take a lot of power from regeneration. Sure the energy came from the battery in the first place while accelerating, but when full, charging can only be done at a slow pace. CanZE (SSP) actually shows you in the "Driving" screen how much torque the motor can do, given speed, temperature an SOC of the battery. Brake beyond that blue bar and the friction brakes kick in.

@mihai is right that with a full battery on a cold day "no pedal" feels scary as there is less "natural" braking than normal. However, brake pedal operation is totally unaffected to the driver. It's just that in this scenario it is friction brakes from the start. It's a really clever brake-by-wire system. There are a couple of blog posts on the CanZE website on the details.

The Zoe braking system

Interesting question about the Torque bar

The Blue Aiming Bar explained

Max battery charge and Max battery regeneration

Influence of ECO mode is a "ZOE fairy tale" (tm) ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts