Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Regen levels and efficiency

10K views 44 replies 11 participants last post by  Electrickery 
#1 ·
Suppose you are going down a long gradient at constant speed, say 30 mph. From an energy efficiency point of view, does it make any difference which level of regen you select? I realise that each level will require a different “throttle” position to maintain a constant 30 mph.

#44 ·
I should point out I'm only going by seeing not one single blue bar on lift off when set to 0 I havent gone as far as using an app/obd dongle.

When set to zero the Ioniq will coast for what seems like an eternity with no right pedal and I would have thought 1 or 2 KW of retardation should be really quite noticeable. I also initially had problems convincing the car to work as I wanted it to, when I was in zero I too often got reasonable amounts of regen. From the early days of having the car Ive a recollection of having to change more than one setting about regen that was buried away in the menus before 0 behaved as 0 for me.

Being in Neutral in an ICE means no acceleration and in some cases less hydraulic power which can have knock n effects on the brakes and steering which is why its sometimes said that the police take a dim view on it.

Having regen set to 0 on the Ioniq is very different to being in neutral because both the brake and accelerator pedals still work, you are still very much in control of the car. Other than when being towed, or possibly testing the brakes I cant see any reasonable scenario when it would be desirable to put the ioniq in N.

#45 ·
I should point out I'm only going by seeing not one single blue bar on lift off when set to 0 I havent gone as far as using an app/obd dongle.

When set to zero the Ioniq will coast for what seems like an eternity with no right pedal and I would have thought 1 or 2 KW of retardation should be really quite noticeable. I also initially had problems convincing the car to work as I wanted it to, when I was in zero I too often got reasonable amounts of regen. From the early days of having the car Ive a recollection of having to change more than one setting about regen that was buried away in the menus before 0 behaved as 0 for me.

Being in Neutral in an ICE means no acceleration and in some cases less hydraulic power which can have knock n effects on the brakes and steering which is why its sometimes said that the police take a dim view on it.

Having regen set to 0 on the Ioniq is very different to being in neutral because both the brake and accelerator pedals still work, you are still very much in control of the car. Other than when being towed, or possibly testing the brakes I cant see any reasonable scenario when it would be desirable to put the ioniq in N.
Yeah, you need to look at the power screen (in the EV and battery screen) to see the actual regen, even 4 or 5 kW isn't obvious from just the power meter on the dash.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.