Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am used to the fact that during winter and low temperatures regen is limited to protect the battery. However I think Tesla has increased the temperature they limit regen again.
So yesterday with outside temp 23c battery 50% full, I was being nerfed.

Mine is a 2015 70D.

Anyone else noticed this? Or is there an issue with my car?
World Font Electric blue Space Circle

·
Registered
497 Posts
When did you last drive the car? how long had you been driving? That’s to think, maybe the battery was cold… 🤷‍♂️ i was driving mine yesterday with no issue, (it might’ve been limited when I first got in, but I can’t remember - not something I particularly paid attention to yesterday)

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,574 Posts
That doesn't make any sense unless the battery was very hot. Like Leaf over heated at several rapid charges hot. If it is leaf over heated hot then the thermal management is up the wazoo. These cars are designed for California heat so I wouldn't think it would be too hot. Far more likely to be too cold for some reason.

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
Assuming its not state of charge causing the limit, it could be low battery core temperature. There's a lot of thermal mass in the battery and the air temp warming up is one thing, but its going to take a while before the core of the battery catches up. Same principal as to why churches generally feel cool even in summer, it take a while for all the stone work to warm up.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I had not driven it for a couple of days, so the core temp would have been low. Overnight temp was probably down to lows of 10c and high in the day 20c. So pack probably around 15c. I have had the car 5 years and I only used to see the limited regen during late autumn not end of summer.

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,574 Posts
I had not driven it for a couple of days, so the core temp would have been low. Overnight temp was probably down to lows of 10c and high in the day 20c. So pack probably around 15c. I have had the car 5 years and I only used to see the limited regen during late autumn not end of summer.
Is it left plugged in when not in use or unplugged?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts