1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

2 quick questions:

1 - do the brake lights come on when you’re regeneration? I was goingdown a hill last night and couldn’t see the lights come on behind me but I did see the lights come on when I hit the brake pedal.
2 I’m currently going into zero Regen for max coasting as I drive mostly out of town. Does the brake pedal in ‘zero’ Regen before normal friction brakes? Ie Is leaving it in ‘zero’ and then braking when required means I’m still getting the same Regen energy as level 3 but one method uses the paddles and the other uses the brake pedal?

Thanks.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28kWh
160 Posts
1 - They come on when using regen 2 or 3. They don't come on if just using regen level 1.

2 - If using regen level 0 you will still only use regen when braking unless you are braking very hard. You can see this if you look at the battery display when set to energy use. Can't remember max regen but it's north of 70kW. You should even get greater than 40kW regen when the battery is full and warm so you very rarely see the friction brakes being used above 5mph.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq Electric Premium SE 2018 Black
46 Posts
Is the regen stronger then the Leaf30? I'm upgrading to the 28kwh Ioniq tomorrow and not sure what to expect compared to that. Is it almost 1 pedal driving or have a 1 pedal driving mode? Cheers!

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Is the regen stronger then the Leaf30? I'm upgrading to the 28kwh Ioniq tomorrow and not sure what to expect compared to that. Is it almost 1 pedal driving or have a 1 pedal driving mode? Cheers!
I had a Leaf 30 before and in the Leaf you had standard and B regen.
In the Ioniq you have 0, 1, 2, and 3.
0 is like coasting
1 is a bit less than Standard Leaf
2 is more than standard and close to B
3 is quite hard regen.
I tend to keep it in 0 and only add 1,2 or 3 when braking.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I had a Leaf 30 before and in the Leaf you had standard and B regen.
In the Ioniq you have 0, 1, 2, and 3.
0 is like coasting
1 is a bit less than Standard Leaf
2 is more than standard and close to B
3 is quite hard regen.
I tend to keep it in 0 and only add 1,2 or 3 when braking.
Great thanks for the heads up! I like to use as much regen as I can, so I'm used to feathering the pedal to coast, I just prefer less pedal switching when in stop start traffic and going down hills.

·
RupesDotNet
7 Posts
Great thanks for the heads up! I like to use as much regen as I can, so I'm used to feathering the pedal to coast, I just prefer less pedal switching when in stop start traffic and going down hills.
The flappy paddles on the Ioniq make coasting and regen breaking a breeze. The adaptive cruise control is great in stop start traffic too, and can be activated as low as 20mph. Auto hold is also nice for traffic light grand prix ?

·
Registered
51 Posts
You may specify the default regen you favour in drive mode settings: Eco - Normal or Sport; as either 1, 2 or 3 of default regen in each.

I prefer having it set as default to 'Eco 3' . I find the almost 'one pedal' mode suits my gentle, feather-footed driving style and encourages efficiency and smooth driving.
Deborah.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I got hold of it today and drove it for 130 miles and man, I love that regen 3! I test drove the model 3 a couple weeks ago and it feels just like that (except it does creep after reaching down to 5mph or so). Brilliant car and a massive upgrade from the Leaf30.

The dealer told me at Hyundai he prefers this older ioniq to the new one because it's got more power, he thinks because of the weight of the bigger battery.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
100 Posts
I got hold of it today and drove it for 130 miles and man, I love that regen 3! I test drove the model 3 a couple weeks ago and it feels just like that (except it does creep after reaching down to 5mph or so). Brilliant car and a massive upgrade from the Leaf30.

The dealer told me at Hyundai he prefers this older ioniq to the new one because it's got more power, he thinks because of the weight of the bigger battery.
Don't believe anything a dealer says, the new one has a more powerful motor, 100kw Vs 88kw I think. Battery may be slightly heavier, but certainly not more than the weight of a small passenger.

·
Registered
4,079 Posts
A very small passenger - the weight increase is around 10 kg. The "bigger battery" should really be "more energy dense battery".
FWIW the LEAF30 that you moved from had a max regeneration of 30 kW so it should be dramatically more in the Ioniq, but I guess that you know that from how it feels. I always worry in my LEAF when using B mode that the absence of brake lights means that other road users don't appreciate how much I'm slowing down - they certainly get very close before braking violently. The newer 40 kWh LEAF does have the feature.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I absolutely love the car and all the different ways you can choose to drive it. I even like the VESS, I used to have that permanently disabled in the Leaf. I do feel safer with the regen in this because of the brake lights coming on when enough braking force is felt by the car. Auto hold is great too, just wish it was taken just a step further to make it one pedal driving. I haven't used the smart cruise control feature yet as I've never used it in a car before, does that slow the car down to a stop behind traffic?

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I haven't used the smart cruise control feature yet as I've never used it in a car before, does that slow the car down to a stop behind traffic?
the cruise will slow you down if you approach another car until it either moves out of the way or you indicate right to overtake them. It will take you all the way down to zero.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts