Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody,

have someone noticed a decreasing energy recuperation and braking when battery is approaching full capacity ?

Coming back from Alps, running downhill for several km, I started the trip with 38 km range, driving in full electric mode, all working as expected but, after some km (at 43 km battery recharged) regenerating braking became light, and kilometers in battery grow up very slowly, thus the regenerating green line in the Active info Display reducing almost zero.

is it possibile to associate this behaviour to a sort of battery protection near full charge ?

Someone has happened the same ?

thanks for any information

PS
This is my little page with test and everything related to Passat GTE I've found (in italian with autotranslation :) )

Volkswagen Passat GTE - Italia

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
You are correct, the brake-regen is less or zero when the battery is full.

If you use bMode a lot, this can make you surprised when you lift off the accelerator, and the car does not slow as much as you think it will.

Thankyou for telling us about your web page, it will be very useful to a lot of people, and the pictures too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Exactly, I drive in B mode permanently, loving strange autobraking effect, I can use only one pedal almost all the driving time, it's amazing...

Arriving from a manual transmission 12yr old Volvo V70 CNG, now It seems I'm playing with a car videogame simulator everytime I use the car.... :)

If I can help someone, with my page, I'll be happy to do it (y)

·
Registered
63 Posts
I actually prefer it with no re-gen and would like to turn it off if there is an option (?)

I find the car does a great job for just rolling and maintaining speed without pressing on the pedal

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Interesting...
And what about the EV Range ? Using D mode instead of B not cause a loss in EV distance you can achieve, especially on downhill ? Or pushing brake pedal can get same result ?
I've found no way to switch off regen, only limit it by D mode, but it's always active when braking...

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
I actually prefer it with no re-gen and would like to turn it off if there is an option (?)

I find the car does a great job for just rolling and maintaining speed without pressing on the pedal
On the Golf GTE you can have either D or B mode by pulling the gear lever back, I assume the Passat is the same? You can then also vary the amount regen with the accelerator pedal, so you have full control.

For efficiency its better to coast whenever possible, reading the road ahead is key. The GTE is excellent at coasting as it disengages the motor and engine from the drive train.

As others have said, no regen when the battery is full or nearly full for obvious reasons.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Passat GTE is exactly the same....
I will test a journey trying to coast as often as possible, comparing result with other driving styles.

Thanks a lot for your information

·
Regular contributor
301 Posts
@Merlinweb there are loads of discussions on this topic .. like this .. B mode v D mode

also @doccb1979 made a nice summary here .. When do you use gears in B (regeneration)

I noticed this issue quite soon after I got my car .. Passat GTE test drive thoughts

is it possibile to associate this behaviour to a sort of battery protection near full charge ?
I think this would make sense if you lived at the top of a hill then tried to "regen" all the way down the hill on a full battery .. but most of us use the energy to move the car up to 30/40 mph and want to suck some of that kinetic energy back as we slow down .. :confused:

I guess it's more to do with "charge rates" on a full battery. Just like the wall charging slows down as the battery is nearing it's capacity .. but annoying all the same!! :(

·
Regular contributor
301 Posts
Sorry for creating another Thread
No worries, we all do it .. definitely try looking across the whole VW EV set of forums .. I had to post in the Golf GTE forum for a few months until the admin created the Passat GTE forum! :p

BTW the search tool is very good, anything CarNet, MIB, EV or Powertrain related then the Golf GTE forum is probably worth looking at first as these guys have had their cars at least another year! (and there's not so many of us are posting only Passat stuff).

·
Regular contributor
301 Posts
This is my little page with test and everything related to Passat GTE I've found
Wow .. just looked through your FB page .. nice to see so many photos! You even have the same exterior colour as me, we could be LHD and RHD twins! ;)

Although I wonder how many Italians will buy the same car? .. very expensive for them I think :confused: .. so your audience on FB may be very very small ..

Of course you are very welcome on here to share your observations and issues! I think the Passat GTE user base is growing more quickly as cars are delivered (at least in UK anyway!) :D

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Incredible ! Very happy to know it ! It's very funny to know there is a Brit sister of my car
Sadly, in Italy there is no government advantages to buy this kind of car. Ehm, yes, The Electric HP is tax free (but I have to pay for ICE HP, thanks government, great effort).
and yes, it's expensive, I've contacted dealers for over two months to find the right GTE
It is a brand new Passat GTE Indium Grey / brown interior (not KM0) with following Equipment:
- Active Info Display
- Discover Pro
- Panoramic electric Roof
- Monterrey 18" Alloy Wheels
- Rear View Camera
- Motor Boot
- Full Brown Leather Nappa
- Premium LED Headlights
- Tinted rear Windows
- Extended warranty +2 Yr 80k KM (+2 standard)

The regular price for this equipment is 56.000 Euros ~51.000 GBP (in Italy is a Mountain of Money :eek: )
Luckily, GTE has not great appeal here, there is very few charge points and people are not "EV oriented" (better a big smoky diesel-but-powerful car for my Fellow citizens, best if SUV ;) )
So, I got a big discount, added to a very good private sale for my 12yr old Volvo V70 CNG (6.000 Eur), I reached a final 38.000 Eur, ~34.500 GBP.

Lastly, I've the availability of free charge station in my Company parking (there is a picture somewhere in my page).
It's only an industrial plug with 220V/16A, but it's totally free and I can use it when and all the time i want.
working 7 km far from home, i need ICE only in extraordinary long distance journey

This is my Passat GTE purchase story:)

·
Regular contributor
301 Posts
Bravissimo ... Grazie mille .. la macchina è quasi la stessa della mia .. forse la mia è più italiana con il cuoio cappuchino !!! :cool:

BTW I also have the park assist and keyless entry .. which I love!:love:

Maybe I'll have to take it on a long drive over the alps! ;) It's been a long time since I visited Italy ....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Very good Italian writing (y) and very good Passat GTE
I think Cappuccino leather is not available here, brown is a rare thing too
Here there is black, black everywhere (some dark grey), very few red or white (referring to interiors :LOL:)

Italy is a nice place to visit (and living in), despite people :D:D:D

·
Registered
491 Posts
The small downside to not having a black interior in the GTE is losing the blue stitch detailing on the steering wheel and gearshift, which I like. Other than that it looks great.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yes, it is due to the full leather interior, but the feeling inside is very classy and comfortable (and less sportly)
this is only my humble opinion, of course...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh, yes, it's a good explanation. It's possible that brown is not considered suitable for blue trim...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts