Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I remember when I first had my Ampera, that when I took my foot off the accelerator, the car would immediately feel like it was braking.
I could almost drive the car without touching the brake pedal, except when coming to a stop. I liked this.
Now after 18 months, it doesn't do this anymore, but just coasts like a normal car.

Has anybody else noticed this? I wonder if it's a fault.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Sounds to me like it has a fault. Regen braking should be pretty much the same regardless of how old the car is.

Don't forget that when it is fully charged it won't regen untill there is some room in the battery to take the charge.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get regen on the instruments, but no braking sensation as I de - accelerate.
I just drove a BMW i3 and you can drive it without using the brakes at all (almost).
I remember my Ampera used to feel like that but to a lesser degree.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Knightstonethornbird said:
I get regen on the instruments, but no braking sensation as I de - accelerate.
I just drove a BMW i3 and you can drive it without using the brakes at all (almost).
I remember my Ampera used to feel like that but to a lesser degree.
I'd get that looked at if you aren't getting any regen. Is there any difference between L and D?

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
In L mode I often find I can avoid using brakes with some anticipation so keep agree with others that it sounds like a fault.

Paul, we live at the top of a hill and I am sure we get regeneration on a full charge when driving down it. My partner commented that the range when she got to Tesco express (bottom of hill plus one mile) was more than when she left home.

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
proddick said:
Paul, we live at the top of a hill and I am sure we get regeneration on a full charge when driving down it. My partner commented that the range when she got to Tesco express (bottom of hill plus one mile) was more than when she left home.
As the Ampera/Volt battery is never charged to 100% of its absolute capacity I suppose that regen might be possible when it is fully charged but I think it more likely that it is the range estimate that has changed... not the battery capacity... because driving downhill uses no power so the range estimate adjusts accordingly. I know in my Leaf I have left home with 95 miles estimated and when I get to the Saltash road bridge, about 1.5 miles down hill, I can often have over 100 miles estimated. Not so sure that the actual range would have changed tho :)

·
Premium Member
11,053 Posts
I wonder how much of the headroom it would use though. I guess I need to get one of those ODB (?) monitor thingies and find a mountain I can charge at the top of and drive down :)

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
I always thought it was was part of the design thinking so that brake mapping did not have to change when "full". I also expect longer battery life because of it, but I'm sure the regen capability remaining constant is the overriding reason.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts