Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good evening,
First post for me.
I currently drive a Nissan Leaf 40 and I am looking to buy a 2nd EV.
I have test drove a 2016 60ah rex and I loved it, the only minor concern is the heavier (than i'm use to) regain braking.
I don't use the e-pedal function on the leaf as I find it a bit jerky and prefer a car to coast a little.

I have read on a couple of reviews that the 90ah model has slightly less aggressive regeneration braking than the 60ah.

Is this true?

Thanks in advance.
Alex

·
Registered
2021 Hyundai Kona Ultimate 64kWh
1,679 Posts
All of the i3's have very aggressive regenerative braking. I've only tried the 60Ah once a long time ago but don't remember it feeling significantly different to the newer 94 or 120Ah models that I do drive fairy regularly.

It's something you get used to over time. I still don't like it myself, but I can definitely drive smoothly to it now I have gotten used to easing off the accelerator rather than just totally lifting off in order to better control the speed and don't find it too much of a hassle anymore.

If you don't like the idea of single pedal driving the BMW i3 is probably your worst possible choice of vehicle though. If you are truly so strongly against that concept, you may want to consider other models. Very few other EVs out there are like this.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Regen braking is something you get used to quickly and feels quite natural. We have a manual diesel (motorhome), an auto petrol car and a 120 Ahr i3 and I am quite happy driving all of them. Not sure that “coasting” is a good way to drive anyway. On the manual diesel I change down when slowing which is kind of like regen braking and is more controlled than coasting in a higher gear and using more brake pedal.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
268 Posts
I have read on a couple of reviews that the 90ah model has slightly less aggressive regeneration braking than the 60ah.

Is this true?
I think it is more to do with the software version. My 60Ah has had at least 3 upgrades and each one seemed to lessen, and change the profile of, the regeneration action.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts