Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas which driving mode gets the most energy back?

"B" mode? or e-Pedal mode?

I assume having the car in both B and e-pedal mode won't get any more energy back.

Tah in advance.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
Hi Dan, Potentially you will get back the same amount of regen back regardless of what mode you are in... the difference between the modes though is how you use the pedals to get it. The different modes simply remap the regen to the pedal position so in theory, if you are good pressing the pedals the right amount, you can always get max regen. You won't get any more than the max possible.

Obvoiously, some modes will make it easier to hit that max regen spot than others.

·
Registered
ID.3 Tour
626 Posts
I was told yesterday by the salesman (on a test drive) that the e-Pedal offers NO regeneration? the is certainly not what I have read in the brochure:
• e-Pedal (with regenerative function)

But we all know that the brochure specs are not binding!

I thought the biggest benefit of the e-Pedal was the fact it also offered maximum regen?

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
Isn't all regen on the LEAF just the 'same' regardless of how you slow down the car? So if you use B mode the car will brake using regen only, and then regen even more if you apply the footbrake. If you turn off B mode and use the footbrake, slowing down at the same rate of decline will apply the same amount of regen as B mode would have done. Maybe someone can confirm that is correct, or at least almost right?

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I was told yesterday by the salesman (on a test drive) that the e-Pedal offers NO regeneration? the is certainly not what I have read in the brochure:
Change your salesman... he is talking rubbish!

Isn't all regen on the LEAF just the 'same' regardless of how you slow down the car? So if you use B mode the car will brake using regen only, and then regen even more if you apply the footbrake. If you turn off B mode and use the footbrake, slowing down at the same rate of decline will apply the same amount of regen as B mode would have done. Maybe someone can confirm that is correct, or at least almost right?
That is true. In fact, it is true of ALL EVs and PHEVs AFAIK.

The different modes simply remap the amount of regen that is applied when you lift the accellerator pedal or press the brake pedal. Ultimately though the amount of regen available is always the same except that it is easier to get max regen in some modes than in others. Because it is easier to get max regen in some modes than in others so it may seem like you are actually getting more... you aren't. If you understand the modes and how they work and then use the indicators in the car to find the max regen spot you can get the same amount of regen by skillful use of the pedals in any mode :)

·
Registered
538 Posts
Any ideas which driving mode gets the most energy back?

"B" mode? or e-Pedal mode?

I assume having the car in both B and e-pedal mode won't get any more energy back.

Tah in advance.
Our take on it is that any loss of kinetic force using the friction brakes will lead to less regen, unless you are on a very steep hill and have the maximum regen already. We also think regen itself is less efficient than letting the cars own kinetic force take you as far as possible (some people coast in neutral) others use least regen as poss on level roads. We think e-pedel is less efficient but handy to use if you are not bothered about efficiency.

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I use ePedal for town driving, and ProPilot on longer journeys on the "open road". I believe ProPilot in D mode is more efficient than a mode using regeneration on a longer journey as you don't want to lose momentum unnecessarily (kinetic energy gained going downhill will help you up the next hill more than a few extra Wh in the battery).

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Another question then, does using the brake pedal immediately bring in the friction brakes? Or does the car dynamically switch between regen and friction as needed?

·
Registered
538 Posts
Another question then, does using the brake pedal immediately bring in the friction brakes? Or does the car dynamically switch between regen and friction as needed?
I would imagine pressure on the foot pedal equates to how fast you would like to stop, so I can't imagine Nissan would allow the car to gauge it.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
It dynamically and totally seemlessly blends the two to meet the brake demand. If you only gently press the brake pedal and there is regen available then you just get regen. If the car is in ePedal mode or B mode and all the available regen is already being recovered, or if the battery is already full and so no regen is available, then pressing the brake pedal would bring on the friction brakes. If you gently press and you get some regen, then press harder you get more regen until all the available regen is used then it brings on the friction brakes.

This is one area of EVs that I am very impressed with... the way they can seemlessly blend regen and friction braking.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
31,032 Posts
Paul's words are sage here.

If you drive your car along the same velocity/distance/route profile then you will achieve exactly the same regen. The car's computer interprets what your velocity/accel/decel 'demand' is, and works out what to apply to achieve it.

The various settings only serve to make some operations easier in some circumstances.

So if you do lots of accel and decel it might be easier for you to do it off one pedal. If you control the car in the same manner in a different mode but using more brake pedal, it will make not the slightest difference.

The lesser power regen modes therefore make it easier for you to avoid coming off the pedal and doing 'too much' regen because if you want the most efficient drive then the slower you decelerate the more efficient you will always be. Better to roll up to a stop gradually (if you can) than have powerful regen at the last minute.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I much prefer to drive round town in "B" mode than e pedal just feels more natural and the brake lights aren't constantly coming on.
I use ePedal for town driving, and ProPilot on longer journeys on the "open road". I believe ProPilot in D mode is more efficient than a mode using regeneration on a longer journey as you don't want to lose momentum unnecessarily (kinetic energy gained going downhill will help you up the next hill more than a few extra Wh in the battery).

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,142 Posts
I got the impression from driving my Leaf, that the amount of regen available in B mode is less than when using ePedal, but I haven’t checked using LeafSpy yet.

I hardly use B mode at the moment. I’ve been using ePadal around town and D in the motorway. Generally favouring ProPilot on dual carriageways & motorways rather than using the limit function.

But, after only almost 1000 miles, it is too early to make any real observations.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
You may be right in that the amount of regen available feet off may be less but the amount of regen available will not be less... You just have to press the brake pedal to get the rest that is available :)

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
Leafspy now shows you what the car is doing in terms of regen/brake blending. When you press the brake pedal it uses a small amount of friction braking right away as well as regen, presumably so the friction brakes are primed for if you press hard enough to need lots of friction. So B will produce more regen than braking alone but is probably less safe, ePedal can also apply friction brakes but I don’t know at what speed/conditions it chooses to do so.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
I suspect that the amount of friction brake that is applied initially is so small that it really won't make much appreciable difference to the amount of regen actually recovered.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I much prefer to drive round town in "B" mode than e pedal just feels more natural and the brake lights aren't constantly coming on.
I agree B seems more normal but I like the simplicity of epedal.
Regarding the brake lights I don't like that aspect. I had an incident the other day where going at 30 on a straight road the lights changed about 50 metres in front so I came off the accelerator to a degree, not fully, but it must have thrown the lights on where normally in B it wouldn't. The car behind me slammed on and then stayed way back from my rear end. Almost like I had intentionally brake tested him.

I also hoped when sat at lights the brake lights wouldn't be on as I am conscious of that and didn't like having to stay on the brakes on the old creeping Leaf. So would prefer if its holding itself they were not on. Maybe there are regulations regarding this.

Reactions: RayH

·
Registered
5,080 Posts
I agree B seems more normal but I like the simplicity of epedal.
Regarding the brake lights I don't like that aspect. I had an incident the other day where going at 30 on a straight road the lights changed about 50 metres in front so I came off the accelerator to a degree, not fully, but it must have thrown the lights on where normally in B it wouldn't. The car behind me slammed on and then stayed way back from my rear end. Almost like I had intentionally brake tested him.

I also hoped when sat at lights the brake lights wouldn't be on as I am conscious of that and didn't like having to stay on the brakes on the old creeping Leaf. So would prefer if its holding itself they were not on. Maybe there are regulations regarding this.
I'm not sure when the brake lights come on using ePedal. Like you, I hate people in front of me in ordinary ICE cars braking unnecessarily. In my Qashqai I used the brake as little as possible, relying on engine braking to slow me down. ePedal should behave the same way, with the brake lights only coming on if you decelerate rapidly by removing your foot completely from the pedal. In normal coasting to a stop, they should only come on in the final few moments.

What I really need is for someone to follow me in phone communication to tell me when it happens, so I can modulate my driving accordingly.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I have mainly noticed by looking in my rear view and generally see the red from my brake lights reflecting on road signs for the opposite carriageway.
Again there is probably an EU regulation regarding the g force rates involved that require brake lights tom operate.

Reactions: RayH
1 - 20 of 87 Posts