Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
I intend to report the experience as a fault to be sorted out under warranty and look forward to service department trying to explain the symptoms. :D

Afterthought : I've yet to try cruise control but does anyone know if this unnecessary recuperative braking happens as you go up & down motorway 'hills' ? I'll no doubt investigate that on my next outing.
@EricM that's your prerogative but that's wasting your time and theirs. It is how it is, it may be different from your previous car but that's how different manufacturers have configured their vehicles.

It does regenerative braking if you are going down an incline on the motorway and you are likely to exceed your set speed. Its what cruise control does. Not sure what you are expecting.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
It's neither annoying nor difficult. It is what e-pedal is all about. Provided you anticipate well, it is perfectly possible to drive economically using just the one pedal. This applies equally to the i3 and the Leaf40.
Speak for yourself! I am glad it works for you but I find it both and I know from plenty of discussions on the forum that a lot of others do too :)

Why they don't simply have a mode that gives zero power feet off I don't know.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Uzi2 "It's neither annoying nor difficult. It is what e-pedal is all about. Provided you anticipate well, it is perfectly possible to drive economically using just the one pedal. This applies equally to the i3 and the Leaf40. "

You're rather missing the point ! The Leaf has a switch which it claims can switch ePedal on or off. I'm not objecting to it doing what it does when switch is on but if switch is OFF I don't expect to have to put up with that interference.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It does regenerative braking if you are going down an incline on the motorway and you are likely to exceed your set speed. Its what cruise control does. Not sure what you are expecting.
Going DOWN an incline on the motorway (or indeed anywhere else) that is indeed a useful feature; when going UP an incline , applying a braking force is absolutely the last thing you ought to be doing !

What I'm expecting is that the switch marked e-pedal ON or OFF "does what it says on the tin"

·
Registered
189 Posts
Going DOWN an incline on the motorway (or indeed anywhere else) that is indeed a useful feature; when going UP an incline , applying a braking force is absolutely the last thing you ought to be doing !

What I'm expecting is that the switch marked e-pedal ON or OFF "does what it says on the tin"
It does exactly what it says it does in the manual (tin) and I have no complaints. Your expectations are not what it says on the tin. I think you have the wrong car. :)

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It does exactly what it says it does in the manual (tin) and I have no complaints. Your expectations are not what it says on the tin. I think you have the wrong car. :)
No, the dashboard clearly says "ePedal ON" or "ePedal OFF" there is no indication saying "ePedal effect partly reduced"

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
No, the dashboard clearly says "ePedal ON" or "ePedal OFF" there is no indication saying "ePedal effect partly reduced"
Where does it say anywhere that turning off the ePedal also turns off regenerative braking? ePedal is an additional single-pedal convenience driving mode which will control the car and bring it to a smooth halt and hold it there without having to use the brake.

·
Registered
2020 Kia Soul First Edition
3,136 Posts
when going UP an incline , applying a braking force is absolutely the last thing you ought to be doing !
Why would you expect the ePedal to do this going up a hill? I thought and based on my little experience is that if you are going up a hill the ePedal doesn’t slow you down.

However, if you lift your foot slightly while going up a hill, then yes, the car would start to slow down. What is wrong with that?

The accelerator is not an on off switch (though I have been a passenger with many people over the years where you would have thought it was!) and you h be to feather the throttle.

I really, really like the ePedal. It is brilliant. When off the motorway I use it all the time. I would say I use the actual brake pedal 2-3% compared to my previous Leaf24.

It isn’t affecting my economy either. I’m getting over 4.2mi/kWh at the moment.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Why would you expect the ePedal to do this going up a hill? I thought and based on my little experience is that if you are going up a hill the ePedal doesn’t slow you down.

However, if you lift your foot slightly while going up a hill, then yes, the car would start to slow down. What is wrong with that?

The accelerator is not an on off switch (though I have been a passenger with many people over the years where you would have thought it was!) and you h be to feather the throttle.

I really, really like the ePedal. It is brilliant. When off the motorway I use it all the time. I would say I use the actual brake pedal 2-3% compared to my previous Leaf24.

It isn’t affecting my economy either. I’m getting over 4.2mi/kWh at the moment.
I believe there is a problem with my right foot. I am getting 3.1 m/kWh.

Have never been any good at getting decent economy on any of my Leafs unless really really trying but I get bored.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Some of that may be down to the terrain. I'm getting about 3.7 overall average. But where I live is hilly. I have no difficulty achieving the 'neutral' of neither blue nor white on the dial, though.

Mind, this evening I foolishly set my 'best ever' level following a journey of half a mile downhill from the supermarket. I will never match 8.9!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
I wouldn't expect the ePedal to do this (apply recuperative braking) when going up a hill. My problem is that even when "ePedal OFF" is clearly shown on the dashboard, the car acts as though I had selected ePedal and it does apply recuperative braking when going up a hill.

Pleased to hear that you aren't finding any slowing when going up hills; that reinforces my view that my particular car has some sort of system error.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Mind, this evening I foolishly set my 'best ever' level following a journey of half a mile downhill from the supermarket. I will never match 8.9!
I spent the morning testing consumption on a motorway trip. I'll start a separate topic about it but in the 3.8 mile segment from my house to M1 J29A I calculated that I'd managed 9.5miles/kWh. That was based on distance indicated by trip recorder and kWh usage based on differences in % battery readings and I guess both of those are subject to errors

·
Registered
189 Posts
I wouldn't expect the ePedal to do this (apply recuperative braking) when going up a hill. My problem is that even when "ePedal OFF" is clearly shown on the dashboard, the car acts as though I had selected ePedal and it does apply recuperative braking when going up a hill.

Pleased to hear that you aren't finding any slowing when going up hills; that reinforces my view that my particular car has some sort of system error.
You still haven’t read the manual. :(

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
You still haven’t read the manual. :(
Actually, I have. Nowhere does it say "if you take your foot off the accelerator, even when going uphill and even when "ePedal OFF" is displayed on the dashboard a recuperative braking force will be experienced".

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
Actually, I have. Nowhere does it say "if you take your foot off the accelerator, even when going uphill and even when "ePedal OFF" is displayed on the dashboard a recuperative braking force will be experienced".
Earlier Leaf's don't have ePedal but still do regenerative braking when lifting off the throttle.

I'm not sure what your issue is with this ?

Nearly all EV's apply some regenerative braking when lifting off the throttle.

Some let you adjust how much you get, but very few EV's let you turn throttle lift off regeneration off completely.

There's a good reason why too - because it would be like driving a car in "neutral" - as soon as you lifted off the throttle to stop accelerating the car would freewheel as if in neutral.

Even in a high gear an ICE will provide some engine braking to stop a car running away down a hill, throttle lift off regeneration in an EV serves the same purpose and helps keep the car under positive control at all times.

So its normal in nearly all EV's to get some regeneration lifting off the throttle, and the remainder of the regeneration by lightly touching the brake pedal. (which then blends in the friction brakes as you press the brake pedal further)

All ePedal really does is combines the functions of the brake pedal and accelerator pedal, it has nothing to do with how much regeneration you get in total.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
It's implied. AFAIK all electric vehicles do this. I don't see the issue What's wrong with regenerative braking?

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It's implied. AFAIK all electric vehicles do this. I don't see the issue What's wrong with regenerative braking?
Nothing wrong with regenerative braking - indeed it can be very useful. Not all EVs do it all the time; VW let you choose whether or not you want it and indeed let you select 4 different levels of it (5 if you count not using as an extra level). I would therefore normally select no RB (it offers no advantage on the level or going uphill), put it on at a low level when descending a gentle hill, a higher level on a steeper hill or the highest level (aka B) when wanting to come to a standstill.

However, when the car decides to use the facility going up a hill it will reduce total range as the energy gained by using RB is not enough to get the car back to target speed after it's been slowed (it can never be, unless efficiency was more than 100% and Laws of Thermodynamics got rescinded). Yes, you can stop that happening by keeping your foot on the accelerator but I've grown to like giving my foot a rest occasionally and of course letting speed build up on a downhill section in order to coast part way up the next hill is a well known economy driving technique; I really don't want to have to change into neutral to enjoy that benefit.

·
Registered
189 Posts
All modes the Leaf drives in have some amount of regenerative braking. Nowhere in the manual does it say otherwise. Hills have nothing to do with it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
All modes the Leaf drives in have some amount of regenerative braking. Nowhere in the manual does it say otherwise. Hills have nothing to do with it.
Unless there's some way of disabling regenerative braking, taking your foot off accelerator when going up a hill will always result in poorer economy. Ironic that this effect is more marked in Eco mode !

41 - 60 of 87 Posts