Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
61 - 80 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
5,289 Posts
But why would you take your foot right off the accelerator going up a hill ? That is going to cause you to slow down regardless of regenerative braking or not.

If you just want to slow down slightly just reduce the accelerator pedal slightly but stay in the positive energy consumption range - eg avoiding regen.

It sounds like you have a conditioned reflex from ICE driving of taking your foot right off the accelerator to slow slightly.

It's hard to unlearn this habit - I also find I have to consciously think about this to avoid it, and it's one reason why I don't drive in a mode that gives high regen on throttle lift off except if I am going down a steep hill and specifically want lots of regen... otherwise its too easy to get regen when you don't need it which as you say wastes energy.

Keep in mind though that with engine braking on an ICE lifting your foot right off the throttle causing the car to slow will also waste energy in heat in the engine. At least with an EV a high proportion of that is recovered with regeneration compared to none in engine braking an ICE.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
It sounds like you have a conditioned reflex from ICE driving of taking your foot right off the accelerator to slow slightly.
Nice theory - but completely wrong !

I've actually been driving a BEV for most of the last three years. However, on a VW you're given an option of when you want to use recuperative braking and if so to what degree.

I can now see that Nissan don't interfere quite as much if you reject their 'Eco' setting and are prepared to keep your foot poised over the accelerator at all times but that really isn't making for more comfortable driving.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
How does the car know if it's going up a hill or not? Regen in D is not so noticeable. I suspect gravity and slight regen are combining to give the impression of harder regen.
Only driven Leafs a Zoe and a couple of Twizys and all had some regen.
I think it is a legacy of ICE autos, good or bad, it's how they designed it.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
How does the car know if it's going up a hill or not?
No need for the car to 'know' ! The driver just needs to look out of the window and set his/her controls accordingly. Not of course possible if there are no controls to set.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
No need for the car to 'know' ! The driver just needs to look out of the window and set his/her right foot accordingly. Not of course possible if there are no controls to set.
Fixed that for you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I was told yesterday by the salesman (on a test drive) that the e-Pedal offers NO regeneration? the is certainly not what I have read in the brochure:
• e-Pedal (with regenerative function)

But we all know that the brochure specs are not binding!

I thought the biggest benefit of the e-Pedal was the fact it also offered maximum regen?
Yes, whoever claims it has no effect is wrong. I have seen my battery charge climb when I happened to be at the top of a steep hill going downwards, and used the regen in "B" mode to slow.

·
Registered
11 Posts
There is a discussion over at First General LEAF about regen braking and brake lights. There are a bunch of claims there about brake lights not coming on during regen braking. Not having a First Generation LEAF, I cannot test it.

However, today, checking to see if the 2022 Nissan LEAF SV Plus manual was correct or not, my wife and I took a short trip down a 50 click road, LEAF first, 2020 Tesla 3 second, and we had each other on phone, and repeatedly tested regen braking at various speeds from 15 clicks to 60 clicks. I then followed her back checking the Tesla similarly. It works just fine on both vehicles.

Who starts these rumors .... ?

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
There is a discussion over at First General LEAF about regen braking and brake lights. There are a bunch of claims there about brake lights not coming on during regen braking. Not having a First Generation LEAF, I cannot test it.

However, today, checking to see if the 2022 Nissan LEAF SV Plus manual was correct or not, my wife and I took a short trip down a 50 click road, LEAF first, 2020 Tesla 3 second, and we had each other on phone, and repeatedly tested regen braking at various speeds from 15 clicks to 60 clicks. I then followed her back checking the Tesla similarly. It works just fine on both vehicles.

Who starts these rumors .... ?
You haven't been very specific. You can see the Leaf 2's brake lights in the door mirror when it's dark due to them wrapping around so you easily check for yourself.

So I am sticking to my comments that the brake lights only illuminate in 1-pedal mode when the regen exceeds about 75%. In B, they do not illuminate because the retardation is comparable to an ICE's engine braking. (maybe they might if lifting off heading up a steep hill when the deceleration exceeds the threshold for brake light illumination)

US Leafs could be configured differently of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
You haven't been very specific. You can see the Leaf 2's brake lights in the door mirror when it's dark due to them wrapping around so you easily check for yourself.

So I am sticking to my comments that the brake lights only illuminate in 1-pedal mode when the regen exceeds about 75%. In B, they do not illuminate because the retardation is comparable to an ICE's engine braking. (maybe they might if lifting off heading up a steep hill when the deceleration exceeds the threshold for brake light illumination)

US Leafs could be configured differently of course.
This is why we tested it at slow speeds. In crazy horsepower (Imperial) units, down to 10 mph and even lower. I don't buy the regen limit. Not from experimental evidence.

·
Registered
LEAF N-TEC 62KW
3,282 Posts
This is why we tested it at slow speeds. In crazy horsepower (Imperial) units, down to 10 mph and even lower. I don't buy the regen limit. Not from experimental evidence.
Not sure what you mean by regen limit? It is limited when the SOC is above 90%.

As I said, you can easily see the brake lights come on in the door mirror when its dark.

If your's come on in non E-pedal mode, then Nisssan US have done this, probably to help protect their customers from rear-ending claims where non illumination of the brake lights is blamed for the accident.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
My LEAF and my phone are all set to use kilometers, kilometers per hour, degrees Celsius, and Pascals. And, yes, I'm an American. But my Bachelor's is in Physics and I prefer metric.
It must be frustrating for you, living in one of the two or three countries in the world, along with Liberia, still using Fahrenheit. :) Over here in the UK we sort of went off half-cock, adopting Celsius, kilograms and litres in daily life but still using miles on the road. Actually I thought 'click' was purely an Australian term. You live and learn.

However this government with its hatred of all things European, is planning to re-introduce pounds and ounces.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
It must be frustrating for you, living in one of the two or three countries in the world, along with Liberia, still using Fahrenheit. :) Over here in the UK we sort of went off half-cock, adopting Celsius, kilograms and litres in daily life but still using miles on the road. Actually I thought 'click' was purely an Australian term. You live and learn.

However this government with its hatred of all things European, is planning to re-introduce pounds and ounces.
I suspect that if the UK went fully metric then the ICE drivers would have a collective meltdown when they realised how much it cost them for fuel for every km. As it stands i dont think they realise or comprehend that the £1.40 per litre and 40 mpg are different metrics.

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40, 2018
25 Posts
The measure that struck me is that a litre of petrol or diesel gives about 2kWh of work output. (It's more thermally, but an ICE is not 100% efficient.) So, to get a similar range, you need either a 100kWh battery or a 50 litre fuel tank. More significantly, that 2kWh costs you about £1.40 for petrol or about 30p for electricity.

61 - 80 of 87 Posts