Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my brand new A3 e-tron for 2 weeks but am still unable to register my vehicle via the app. I can register my personal details but the app refuses to accept any PIN that I enter. It just says an error has occurred please try later.

I have also downloaded the iPhone A3 app which confusingly accepts the PIN I setup on iMac but then tells me that I haven't registered my vehicle. Agggghhhhh!

Its very frustrating that I cannot access all the features that this app would offer.

I reported it to an Audi helpdesk and have sent screenshots of all details. These have been passed on to the German techies a week ago but no solution offered yet.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
69 Posts
Yes, I have a similar situation. Just got my A3 e-tron last week. I have the regular Audi Connect all up and running. Have been trying to register the vehicle for the E-tron app (for iphone).

I have the app installed fine on the iphone, and have registered as a user at the A3 etron web portal (Homepage). When I add a vehicle on the web portal I always get the error message at the top of the web page: "An error has occurred. Please try again later."

If I input the wrong mileage I get a different error, "Mileage entered does not match the mileage received from car." and that is by the mileage entry field.

When I login to the app it obviously says "No vehicle has been assigned to your user account".

I just sent a note to customer services at Audi UK yesterday to see if I can get any help. So I'd be interested to know how you get on.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for your note - there must be an app issue. Seems relatively simple dent it but not working properly.
Other than that I am please with car. Will update when I hera something.

·
Global Cooler
227 Posts
iirc, when I registered it also said that my (exact) mileage as displayed in the trip field was wrong, but I think it worked when I tried the approx figure in the odometer (whole miles) field.
It was a long time ago now, so can't guarantee the details, but I did get it to work by some manipulation of the numbers.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
69 Posts
(thanks to Jammanvw for pointing this out in Not able to start aux heating and timer in app)

It looks as if the MMI connect app has had a number of features added (as of Nov 9) specifically for the A3 etron which may help a little-

Vehicle status report

Driving Data
Remote Charging
Remote Climatization

Just trying to register, but currently it does not recognize the mileage - probably as the car has just been driven for its morning commute.

Update: well I have tried to register all day and no luck. Keeps telling me the Mileage does not match the vehicle's mileage

·
Registered
306 Posts
I also tried the my.audi.com portal and like roadhawk it will not recognise my mileage for the new features

Yet my car is registered and recognised with both portals

BUT if I go to www.a3etron.audi.com to check the mileage, that has the same miles as on the car!

Have tried to enter miles many times even after car has been stood outside of garage for 12 hrs.

Does anyone know why there are two portals?

·
Registered
74 Posts
I believe these new services are not yet operational. It seems extremely buggy. As I am in Norway, Audi online services are usually in Norwegian. But these new services (just the new ones) are a wired mix of German, English and Norwegian. Also, if I hover over the little grey symbol that usually says: "service activated" (translated), it says "license expired" (translated) on all of the new ones.

As the rest of you, I also get mileage not recognized, despite a 100% accurate input.
I have also tried deleting my my.audi profile and re-pairing it with the car. No luck.

a3etron.audi.com is an early portal for e-tron owners. I am guessing this is bringing these services to other Audi owners without an e-tron, but with Audi connect installed as an optional extra (except the charge function of course). Also new e-trons are coming, like the Q7 e-tron and A4 e-tron. It doesn't make sense to have numerous portals/apps for basically the exact same settings on different cars.
Eventually, maybe the two sites/apps will become merged?

BTW; I just noticed that the 2016 maps are out:)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well the plot thickens - it seems that the Audi apps and Audi Connect are not compatible with iPhones.

I have now managed to register my vehicle on myAudi website but still cannot connect to my car until I purchase a data only sim card (o2 not recommended) for the car to enable connection. Perhaps I should have kept my Android phone.

Oh and the German techies came back saying they had reset my PIN on the e-tron website and to try again but I had the same PIN issue. Why is there more than one website + one that isn't working properly?

So I now have to buy a data only SIM card to get the Audi Connect to work. Its not good is it and the whole thing is not user friendly even for a IT savvy user. The instruction manual for the car is not helpful here either.

Nice to drive tho ;-0

More updates later.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Clive,

I'm sure some others will also reply as well. I have an iPhone 6 and it is possible to use both apps with the Audi E-tron. Yes it took a while to get things up and running and occasionally it does go a bit haywire . For instance saying there is a charging fault even though it's happily sucking the juice from my house supply.

The confusion is about how Audi Connect works. The extra services such as Google Maps Streetview and internet radio etc, rely on a 2nd , customer supplied SIM, being provided. The Audi one is mostly there for communication with servers to provide mileage,location, charge state and remote activation of charging and A/C.

A few people have recommended various cheap ways of doing this and you may have to search a few thread to find best one. At moment EE are doing a Christmas promotion for £10 which gives 200Gb for 2 months I believe.

I completely agree that Audi could have made things a bit simpler to understand but once you have it up and running it's not too bad. Bit of a pain to have to constantly type in the long MMI PIN to activate things when getting in car but you get used to it. Also using the car as a hotspot has helped reduce my internet usage on my normal phone SIM, useful when near end of month. My phone has a 3Gb limit/month but one in car is an unlimited data one I've had for a while on an old contract.

The car is great to drive though and I'm still enjoying it after 7 months.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually found out about iPhone incompatibility after a visit to Audi dealer this morning so not sure how you got anything working?

·
Global Cooler
227 Posts
I don't own or use a mobile phone, and my use of the A3 (I'm retired) means I have no need of "live" information from the MMI, so no reason to bung a SIM in the slot.
This means I can't use my PC or tablet to communicate with the car, but that's no great loss.
Before I knew this to be the case, when I first got the car, I went through the process of setting up PC and Android apps to do what I thought would be possible just because it was a new toy and I was playing with all the bells and whistles.
On day one, it wouldn't register the car because the verification step of entering the mileage told me the figure didn't match the car's odometer.
When I checked it and adjusted the figure to match, the verification went ahead, the car was registered with Audi and they issued me a PIN to enter into the MMI.
At the same time, I verified that the car was in the garage from the sat-nav tracker capability.
It was only when I went to enter the PIN into the MMI that I discovered that a SIM was needed to complete that step and to get any further.
My question is, how did it know what the car's odometer reading was, if it needs a SIM to communicate with the car, ditto the location ?
It seems that it is possible to communicate with a SIMless Audi but they just don't let you do it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have an iPhone 5s and both apps work for me, again I get the occaisional glitch where it says its not charging but most of the time it works ok. I haven't tried setting the charger from it but I have turned the heater on remotely several times.

Attachments

·
Registered
306 Posts
Hi terry60
You do not need a sim to identify where the car is parked.
There are other posts here that confirm this.There would apear to be an internal sim that is part of audis network.
My car went back to the dealer yesterday for a minor rectification so i took out the sim card but was still able to track where it was parked and when the the doors were open.
(shades of Big Brother - the 1984 type)

·
Global Cooler
227 Posts
You do not need a sim to identify where the car is parked.
No you don't, as I found when I first played with it, but Audi won't let you once you've started down the SIM road.
Capture.JPG

It's waiting for me to enter the PIN (which it won't let me do without a SIM), until when, it's inhibiting all of the functions which it's perfectly capable of doing without need of a data card.

·
Global Cooler
227 Posts
Thanks for reminding me.
I'd completely forgotten I'd also created that account.
the a3etron portal works fine sans SIM, whereas the myaudi portal is unusable.

·
Global Cooler
227 Posts
Looking back through the historic data, the "since start" and "long term" displays relate to the trip 1 (volatile 2hr) and the trip 2 (retained till user resets) computer memories.
I can see a bug though.
Although the trip 1 figures correspond to my diary entries almost exactly, it seems that a mid-trip battery recharge loses all of the data before the charge point.
The in-car figures combine the pre/post charge mileage etc. (provided the charge time < 2 hrs), but the figure from the Audi DB shows only the details after the mid-trip charge, losing the journey up to that point completely.
Same for everyone ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I also struggled to get the Audi connect App working. I managed the e-tron App ok, but it was really not intuitive at all. It looks like Audi have a long way to go to make the experience more usable. I am one of the Beta Testers for Waze (Navugation App) and even before it was owned by Google, we submit feedback on not just bugs but usability etc and these features are voted on and prioritised in development. It would be lovely if Audi would have the same type of forum. Maybe I'll write to them and suggest it as modern Apps should not be so tiresome to and difficult to use.

·
Registered
VW ID.3 1st Edition
69 Posts
Still no luck for me. I rang Audi UK customer services today. They told me to reset the MMI with a particular sequence (google AUDI MMI reset) . I doubted that would work. Tried that when I got home and it made no difference. For me its registering the car at the portal that is the issue for both the etron portal and the new extended services in MMI connect. Are folks getting support from their dealers for this type of issue?

p.s. I'm a Waze user too - nice app and interface.

·
Registered
117 Posts
it took me 3 months for this situation to be rectified through customer services. All they said was Germany was informed. There was no reason given!

1 - 20 of 68 Posts