Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m still a little nervous about these 12v issues I keep on reading about.

My wife said wait until these issues have been ironed out but I don’t exactly want to be a guinea piping for the brand and this is my only ‘work’ car I need something reliable. Not something that should really worry you when purchasing new!

So does anyone have any regrets in going for the ID.3 as an early adopter?

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition
4,916 Posts
None so far, I’ve done 1100 miles in just over 2 weeks, maybe my 12v hasn’t had chance to play up!

I’ve had a couple of the well known software error messages, but it’s been good and reliable so far, although 2 weeks isn’t very long to be fair.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,388 Posts
I’m still a little nervous about these 12v issues I keep on reading about and after my dealer did a PDI and found ‘different’ issues it hasn’t exactly put my mind at rest.

My wife said wait until these issues have been ironed out but I don’t exactly want to be a guinea piping for the brand and this is my only ‘work’ car I need something reliable. Not something that should really worry you when purchasing new!

So does anyone have any regrets in going for the ID.3 as an early adopter?
You should be able to book the software update very shortly.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Given the history of software projects I really wouldn't expect the ME2 update anytime soon. I think it's a matter of self help in managing issues atm. Re the battery drain I intend to use the car every day or as a minimum sit in it for 15 mins to make it charge from the main battery.

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,388 Posts
Is this the 570 update or the update that resolves the 12v issue?
This is the full ME2 update. I haven't seen the 12V problem myself yet.

It's being applied to new cars from this week. My dealer also said the software should be available this week. They are going to get back to me with more information.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0564)
143 Posts
Well looks like I'm picking up my ID.3 next monday and I've been told it'll have the latest update. If that's ME2 or not I don't know. But I'm going to sign the paperwork on Friday morning and will be taking it for a spin so should be able to find out where it's at.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Everything that's missing: CarPlay, Android Auto, HUD support, timed charging...
To be honest they could throw all those extras in the bin, I’d rather this 12v issues is worked on first. Fingers and everything else crossed ME2 resolves the most flawed issue.

I plan to go on holiday next year and would rather not have to call out the AA to charge my 12v battery at 1am at Gatwick airport :)

·
EVEZY code -£50 off: d409e
1,972 Posts
To be honest they could throw all those extras in the bin, I’d rather this 12v issues is worked on first. Fingers and everything else crossed ME2 resolves the most flawed issue.

I plan to go on holiday next year and would rather not have to call out the AA to charge my 12v battery at 1am at Gatwick airport :)
Perhaps worth investing in one of these and leaving it in the glove box? Mine's been used twice on a friends diesel astra and a little Fiesta. Easier than using jump leads..

·
Registered
81 Posts
Perhaps worth investing in one of these and leaving it in the glove box? Mine's been used twice on a friends diesel astra and a little Fiesta. Easier than using jump leads..

View attachment 137831
Good shout id be getting one of theses regardless of the EV I went for tbh, seen issues with 12v batteries on alot of different models/brands.

I've no idea what the best option is in terms of a jump starter though!

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0564)
143 Posts
As a serial early adopter these are the things you have to roll with, but also remember the most vocal are those with problems, the majority of people only really post things on the internet when they've got something negative to say.

I've got one of those 12v battery rechargers in the garage so might stick it in the boot of mine until I get a feel for it.

Just had an email off the dealer which leads me to believe (well to be honest how knowledgeable are salesmen?) they actually have no idea with regard to the update. He said something a pre delivery inspection at the point where an update would be done. So I'm half thinking when I go on Friday it will be whatever version it came with then when I pick it up next week I might be 0570 or ME2. Either way Friday's test drive is unaccompanied for an hour, so will find a spot to do a deep dive into the menus.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Anyone hear anything about a recall? My dealer mentioned something about it, to do with suspension. But no further info at the moment..

·
Registered
4,330 Posts
FWIW I've bought a BM2 battery monitor for my Ioniq, but that's now for sale imminently, so will get fitted to the ID.3 instead. Have also bought a UTRAI Jstar One, battery capacity 22000 mAh.
Reviews on youtube seem decent, can crank a cold USA pickup truck, and has about 3x the capacity of similar-priced Halfords equivalent. It's remarkably small & portable, weighs just over 1/2 a kg, may fit in central glovebox area. So I have no worries about 12V failure.

·
Registered
161 Posts
As a serial early adopter these are the things you have to roll with, but also remember the most vocal are those with problems, the majority of people only really post things on the internet when they've got something negative to say.

I've got one of those 12v battery rechargers in the garage so might stick it in the boot of mine until I get a feel for it.

Just had an email off the dealer which leads me to believe (well to be honest how knowledgeable are salesmen?) they actually have no idea with regard to the update. He said something a pre delivery inspection at the point where an update would be done. So I'm half thinking when I go on Friday it will be whatever version it came with then when I pick it up next week I might be 0570 or ME2. Either way Friday's test drive is unaccompanied for an hour, so will find a spot to do a deep dive into the menus.
I am picking up my 1st Edition a week Friday and was told exactly as above. They will do a pre-delivery inspection and update as per VW instructions at that time. No specifics.

·
Registered
ID.3 1st (0564)
143 Posts
I am picking up my 1st Edition a week Friday and was told exactly as above. They will do a pre-delivery inspection and update as per VW instructions at that time. No specifics.
I've been trying to find out information and from a German translation it seems the ME2 (aka the final update) update was finished about 2 weeks ago and was scheduled to go out to dealers in Week 49, which is from Today until Sunday with the priority to be new cars being collected followed by cars already in owners hands later in the month or in January.

Which means we're either going to be the very last with the old software, or the very first with the new one.

·
Registered
161 Posts
I've been trying to find out information and from a German translation it seems the ME2 (aka the final update) update was finished about 2 weeks ago and was scheduled to go out to dealers in Week 49, which is from Today until Sunday with the priority to be new cars being collected followed by cars already in owners hands later in the month or in January.

Which means we're either going to be the very last with the old software, or the very first with the new one.
We’ll find out soon enough!
My concern is all the rumours about week 49 seem to stem from one report in NextMove online magazine.
Has anyone seen this from an official central VW source??

·
Registered
Volkswagen ID.3 Life
2,388 Posts
We’ll find out soon enough!
My concern is all the rumours about week 49 seem to stem from one report in NextMove online magazine.
Has anyone seen this from an official central VW source??
My dealer mentioned week 49, but they might just have Googled it too :LOL:

1 - 20 of 279 Posts