Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

Is someone does regular trips from Cambridge to London on M11 with Leaf ?
I have to commute from st Neots to London (Canary wharf) with my 24kw leaf just wondering is someone did a similar trip. Have done trip from Romford to st Neots last April from fully charged i had 25% left when I arrived home but was warm not use of heating 65mph on motorway.
Will appreciate anything from more experience drivers

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
My first look would probably involve the Welcome Break chargers at Birchanger Green, Bishops Stortford in both directions. Only 42 miles to there from St Neots. A fill to 90% at the EcoT Rapids and maximum 60mph driving should get you to Canary Wharf and back to the same chargers - 64 miles round trip. Fill again there with just enough to get back to St Neots - 42 miles. Overnight charge - rinse and repeat.

Even if there is a street charger at Canary Wharf that trip would still need a fill on the return journey and personally, I would prefer to use Rapids as above rather than become involved in a daily search/fight for the use of those street chargers.

But that is based on desk research from no local knowledge so could be totally impracticable when attempted. ;)

·
Registered
3,841 Posts
Is that actual regular commuting or a single trip? When I commuted to London (also Canary Wharf finally after several other places), I always used to go by train and underground (including riding up front on the DLR :)). I would never have considered driving (that was pre-EV days, though).

Edit: Ah I see you say regular. Have you considered the train? Much less stressful. Of course it would cost a lot more!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
By train is not a option as have to be there 6.00 am and there is charger provided by the employer. Monthly travel card is not a option either as i will work only 14 shifts a month 7 days and 7 nights. Im owning hybrid aswell but im tempted to do it with the leaf as will cost me peanuts. Anyway will give a go with leaf just i thought if someone has experience with ev

·
Registered
5,768 Posts
So you missed that vital bit of information from your first entry - You will have work charging/parking for 8 hours. Changes advise considerably. With that facility available then in Summer, a Leaf 24 will get to work without needing a top-up. And after all-day charging it will get you home as well. In Winter or bad weather, you may need a small stop to pick up a safety net of 15 miles each way. And anywhere convenient would work equally well for that.

·
EGGY
979 Posts
There's a polar now at Redbridge station, bottom of the M11 / North Circular if you run short on the way down (I worry you may have to pay for the car park though), various other central line tube stations / Instavolt at North Weald (small diversion) if the work charging isn't on there's a polar in Bank St in the Wharf (intended for sherberts but I think the public can use it) and with Birchanger / Stansted as well you have enough back up plans to put your mind at rest I'd say

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry didn’t explain it properly first time :)
I think if i do 65mph average speed will be just enough to get me there on way back 10 miles from home i have two rapid chargers just in case. In the winter definitely will need top up half way at Bishops Stortford.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
With the travel distance, I assume the pay is more then enough to cover hotels between your shifts hence removing the need for most travel.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
There's a polar now at Redbridge station, bottom of the M11 / North Circular if you run short on the way down (I worry you may have to pay for the car park though), various other central line tube stations / Instavolt at North Weald (small diversion) if the work charging isn't on there's a polar in Bank St in the Wharf (intended for sherbets but I think the public can use it) and with Birchanger / Stansted as well you have enough back up plans to put your mind at rest I'd say
Aren't the tube station chargers just for taxis?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Update on this , i did the trip today from St Neots(Cambridgeshire) to Canary Wharf in London 75miles with my 24kw leaf . Left my house on 100% battery and arrived on 15% 55 miles are on M11 kept the cruise on 62mph on few occasions overtook lorries get up to 70 , the last 11 miles were on A406&A13 drove with the speed limits. This only add 15 min on my journey (that because was no traffic on M11 , if is traffic won’t matter) .No heating or AC used ,16 C outside temperature.
Hope this helps :)

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This morning on the way back from London i was sure will get home without stop for top up but for my surprise after Bishop Strotford i realised the battery getting lower and wouldn’t be enough to get home so from 62mph get down to 60 then 58, 56 but still i thought will need top up . 8 miles before my house i stopped to top up with 4% left(was showing—- but the charger showed 4%) The only difference was the outside temperature 7C and i drove with the headlights on . Is that made such a big difference any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
This morning on the way back from London i was sure will get home without stop for top up but for my surprise after Bishop Strotford i realised the battery getting lower and wouldn’t be enough to get home so from 62mph get down to 60 then 58, 56 but still i thought will need top up . 8 miles before my house i stopped to top up with 4% left(was showing—- but the charger showed 4%) The only difference was the outside temperature 7C and i drove with the headlights on . Is that made such a big difference any thoughts?
It is far more likely that to London is more down hill than back, it defiantly is for me in mid beds.....

·
Registered
131 Posts
St Neots is apparently 50ft above sea level. Canary Wharf (the clue’s in the name...) must be a bit less than that, but not enough to make a difference.

What I’ve never worked out is the difference made by gradient. Does a trip with a short steep hill up and then a long shallow gradient back down take more or less energy than the reverse, assuming start and end point are at the same altitude? I feel it should take less, but what about conservation of energy principles?

·
Super Moderator
5,730 Posts
St Neots is apparently 50ft above sea level. Canary Wharf (the clue’s in the name...) must be a bit less than that, but not enough to make a difference.

What I’ve never worked out is the difference made by gradient. Does a trip with a short steep hill up and then a long shallow gradient back down take more or less energy than the reverse, assuming start and end point are at the same altitude? I feel it should take less, but what about conservation of energy principles?
I find the location of the hills make a difference, if you live at the top of a hill then a fully charged EV can't regen driving away from home but will require more power to get home. The other way round means you use the fully charged battery to start with and then regen home. `

1 - 20 of 28 Posts