Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a POLAR charging station quite close to me. It occurred to me that I might use the POLAR charging station as an alternative to charging at home but I then wondered whether this might breach the conditions of use.

I have looked carefully at the conditions of membership and use but I can see nothing in them that might prohibit me using the POLAR network for regular charging even though I might have a charging station at home.

Does anyone have any opinions on this? Is it wrong to use the POLAR charging station as an alternative to charging at home even if the T&Cs don't prohibit it?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
I never really charge at home, all the chargers are a 3min walk to the city from me, I plug it in walk home and do some bits around the house walk back over have a coffee, and I'm usually ready to go, but I only charge about once every 3days, in 3months iv only charged 4 times at home, over the city it only takes the zoe about 2hours max to charge, so I don't think I'm miss using it as I only do it once every 3 days. I use the rapid Charger at IKEA a lot if I need a fast charge. I don't see any thing wrong with it Paul if you use it every day instead of charging at home, just remember your cable is more vulnerable in a charge point away from your house. Apart from that I think it's fine

·
Banned
558 Posts
Paul - you may have a CPL - but you are a single seat 'jock' really?
The issue may be whether its good politics to hog a charging point and deny it to a bona fide EV traveller. Most people would be really pissed off if they had to wait 3 hours for someone to come back and vacate the charger. Its a matter of discretion and if you know the location and normal utilisation you could reasonably use one port with the other port left for those in genuine need.
I alway relate to my first encounter with a Tesla. He plugged into the only Type 2 outlet and took a taxi home - the day before! I was heading for France and I had to charge from a 13 amp!

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I'll charge in and around Milton Keynes whenever I can, and there's all Polar/Chargemaster sockets I use (aside from the IKEA rapid, which is nice). Never been an issue, if my wife or I contract and drive in central Milton Keynes, we'll charge there rather than at home, why wouldn't we?! :)

·
Banned
558 Posts
So my courtesy meant that I didn't get the boost I needed - but at least I didn't make my self unpopular by hogging the space and the connection'. In all honesty I had an options on the way home and took my next charger sooner than originally planned!

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Does anyone have any opinions on this? Is it wrong to use the POLAR charging station as an alternative to charging at home even if the T&Cs don't prohibit it?
I think it's an early adopter perk and recommend making the most while you can because it won't last :)

I know that our local council are monitoring usage and we are encouraging everyone to use the free charging so that they can't just rip them out in 12 months because they are never used.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Chargers are there to be used, if you've got one close enough to you to use then go right ahead. It's all good for the various companies providing the chargers, they're not going to care whether or not you could charge at home. Go for it!

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
It seems that large parts of the Source London network are left to rot. There's no use because a simple configuration of allowing access to a set of RFID cards is wrong. No use implies no demand, because they're not even checking to see how many attempts to use it are made. Something to do with the posts being sold outright to the councils, who then didn't have any ongoing support agreement to use the back-office systems to allow remote authentication.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I can't believe the Hypocrisy, if that was an Outlander some on here would be up in arms. Oh but I forget Mitsubishi doesn't contribute towards the cost. :mad:

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I can't believe the Hypocrisy, if that was an Outlander some on here would be up in arms. Oh but I forget Mitsubishi doesn't contribute towards the cost. :mad:
This is not what (some) people get (wrongly) upset about when it comes to PHEVs, this is the Chargemaster / Polar network that the OP was talking about. I assume by your mention of contribution to the cost you're referring to Ecotricity Electric Highway and another unrelated thread on here.

I don't think anyone can rightly be upset at people using charging points to charge, whatever the network or vehicle type. Some are because Tesla's take too long and have their own network, or REx and PHEV types "have an alternative" but that too I feel is misplaced. People all just need a bit of understanding and not assume the worst of everyone.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is not what (some) people get (wrongly) upset about when it comes to PHEVs, this is the Chargemaster / Polar network that the OP was talking about. I assume by your mention of contribution to the cost you're referring to Ecotricity Electric Highway and another unrelated thread on here.

I don't think anyone can rightly be upset at people using charging points to charge, whatever the network or vehicle type. Some are because Tesla's take too long and have their own network, or REx and PHEV types "have an alternative" but that too I feel is misplaced. People all just need a bit of understanding and not assume the worst of everyone.
Hi Paul, I don't have a problem with the original post, not that anyone said I have. He obviously wondered if it was the right thing to do by asking the question. I agree with you that anyone should be able to charge whatever the vehicle, but I do feel it's a bit of a cheek if you use a charger within walking distance of home and you have your own charger, not that he has yet.
I'd like to think that we all have a common purpose in contributing in a positive way but my experience so far from some is that it's fill your boots as long as your not the black sheep aka Outlander owner. I will now get off my soapbox and get some work done. ;)

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
I'd like to think that we all have a common purpose in contributing in a positive way but my experience so far from some is that it's fill your boots as long as your not the black sheep aka Outlander owner. I will now get off my soapbox and get some work done. ;)
Thing is with Outlanders people only ever buy them for tax breaks and will never charge... and they hog the chargers too! ;) Yep, makes as much sense as a concrete looking glass. :confused:

Don't let the miserable ones grind you down, we're all in it together. :D (At the same plugs, fighting to charge... argh!). ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts