Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most EV owners will at some point arrive at a charger that refuses to charge their car.

Ecotricity are not known for the reliability of their CCS chargers at MSA locations.

I have been using my ZS EV recently for trips that are outside its 100% SOC range. This means I have to use a Rapid Charger as the sites I am visiting don't offer a destination charger.

I have recently discovered Shell Recharge. These chargers are modern and appear to have no issues charging the ZS EV. The majority are 50kW, but they are also putting in 150kW versions.

The map below gives an idea of locations and numbers. I would highly recommend either downloading the App or applying for the RFID card. Normal price, which you can pay with a CC or Apple Pay or Google Pay at the charger, is £0.39 / kWh. With the App or RFID card it is £0.35 / kWh - This is about half the price that IONITY are "charging".

The chargers are at Shell forecourts and they are currently offering a free Costa coffee while you charge.

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
Most of those seem to be single chargers at the location. No good for me. If its being used or out of service its will be a PITA. Try Instavolt or Ionity they are far better because they usually have more than one charger at each location.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,178 Posts
As has been mentioned above they are only single charger installations it seems. Their choice of charger brand isn't perfect either. CYC around me have many of these same units which are known for frequently breaking down.

Your two reliable manufacturers of chargers are generally considered to be Tritium and ABB. You need to find chargers made by them, with more than one charger per location, and 24/7 support to help out if there's an issue.

Chargepoint/Instavolt is your only nationwide network that comes to mind that currently meets this criteria.

As for your comments on Ecotricity. If you happen to stop at a MSA which has one of the new chargers they are rolling out, it's worth pointing out these are identical to the units that Shell have. If you find them to be reliable with your ZS, try plugging in to them and it should work just fine.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts