Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve wanted an EV for a long time, and I think we’re about to pull the trigger in the next few days. I’ve been looking at used Volts, i3s, and Leafs. The problem is that I live in an apartment and wouldn’t be able to charge at home. This means relying almost 100% on charging stations.
There are 3-4 charging stations within a 15 minute drive of me, one or two of which have fast charging. The others are in major shopping centers or near walking trails, so I’d always have something to do for at least an hour while charging; more if I bring a book to read or a computer to do work on.
I live very close to work (about 8 miles round trip), so I could probably get by with charging once a week. I almost never do highway driving or long trips, so that’s not a major concern for me.
I don’t know the reality of EV ownership, so I thought I would ask the more knowledgeable people here: would you drive an EV if you knew you’d have to use public charging almost exclusively?

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
612 Posts
Personally, I wouldn’t. I think I’d find it too annoying unless I had at least a slow charger within walking distance. But everybody is
different. Plenty of people happily manage it and have to make special trips to charge.

Given your mileage is very low, maybe you can find a routine that works for you. Once a week walk on that trail, but that same trail might get boring after while!

Four miles each way - do you even need a car? (I get that living without one it’s much harder in much of the US!)

Reactions: cah197

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,887 Posts
There are 3-4 charging stations within a 15 minute drive of me, one or two of which have fast charging. The others are in major shopping centers or near walking trails, so I’d always have something to do for at least an hour while charging; more if I bring a book to read or a computer to do work on.
This use case can work.

We find our Zoe only needs half a charge each week, which we can do at the local rapid charger whilst the kids are in Russian School. We grab a coffee or go for a walk, as it's near the marina.

Previously we used to use one at a shopping centre (remember those?) and we'd do a weekly shop and come back to find the car charged.

So if you can spin it into your weekly routine and the car has enough range for a week or more, then go for it.

Otherwise it might be a pain.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I’ve wanted an EV for a long time, and I think we’re about to pull the trigger in the next few days. I’ve been looking at used Volts, i3s, and Leafs. The problem is that I live in an apartment and wouldn’t be able to charge at home. This means relying almost 100% on charging stations.
I live very close to work (about 8 miles round trip), so I could probably get by with charging once a week. I almost never do highway driving or long trips, so that’s not a major concern for me.
I don’t know the reality of EV ownership, so I thought I would ask the more knowledgeable people here: would you drive an EV if you knew you’d have to use public charging almost exclusively?
I think you could make it work. There are like 700 chargers being installed in the UK/month and the number is only going up. Even if you have the occasional shitty experience, it will only get better in the next months/years. I have something similar and I'd say it's worth it tbh.

·
Registered
5,123 Posts
Resident in the USA?
Some of the replies mention UK conditions, relevant?

·
Registered
2,631 Posts
Don’t do it

·
Registered
289 Posts
My hesitation would be reliance on rapid chargers. It’s not supposed to be good for your battery. But also not practical to be on a public 7kw chargers for several hours unless you have one very close by.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts